Government changes APD banding system for passengers departing UK airports
The banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) has been simplified by the government for travellers departing from UK airports. The two bands have now been changed to just one band where air passengers flying to any country more than 2,000 miles from London, such as the Caribbean or Florida, will now be taxed the same amount.
Travellers departing from UK airports will now just pay one tax amount when travelling to any country whose capital is more than 2,000 miles from London.
The government recently made the changes to the banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) to make is simpler for UK travellers heading to destinations such as the Caribbean or Florida.
Prior to the recent changes, a family of four travelling to Florida in economy class paid £240 in APD, but the same family travelling to the Caribbean paid £300, even though Florida is further away from the UK than many countries in the Caribbean region.
The changes will particularly benefit passengers travelling more than 4,000 miles. Passengers flying to the Caribbean will now pay £71 per person, rather than £85, with a family of four saving £56 in total.
APD for children aged under 12 will be scrapped from 1st May, 2015 and in 2016, it will be abolished for all children under 16.
Tour operators and airlines have welcomed the changes after campaigning for APD reductions since 2010 but many companies such as British Airways are still pushing for APD to be scrapped entirely, after the Scottish government was recently given power over APD north of the border.
Willie Walsh, Chief Executive of British Airways’ parent company IAG, said;
"The Prime Minister’s words speak volumes. He has finally conceded that APD damages growth and stifles job creation,”
“If APD is on the way out in Scotland, it needs to be scrapped UK wide."
Over the years, APD in the UK has risen at an alarming rate and British travellers pay some of the highest airport taxes in the world.
The gradual rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and tourism-dependent regions such as the Caribbean heavily rely on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...