Government changes APD banding system for passengers departing UK airports
The banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) has been simplified by the government for travellers departing from UK airports. The two bands have now been changed to just one band where air passengers flying to any country more than 2,000 miles from London, such as the Caribbean or Florida, will now be taxed the same amount.
Travellers departing from UK airports will now just pay one tax amount when travelling to any country whose capital is more than 2,000 miles from London.
The government recently made the changes to the banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) to make is simpler for UK travellers heading to destinations such as the Caribbean or Florida.
Prior to the recent changes, a family of four travelling to Florida in economy class paid £240 in APD, but the same family travelling to the Caribbean paid £300, even though Florida is further away from the UK than many countries in the Caribbean region.
The changes will particularly benefit passengers travelling more than 4,000 miles. Passengers flying to the Caribbean will now pay £71 per person, rather than £85, with a family of four saving £56 in total.
APD for children aged under 12 will be scrapped from 1st May, 2015 and in 2016, it will be abolished for all children under 16.
Tour operators and airlines have welcomed the changes after campaigning for APD reductions since 2010 but many companies such as British Airways are still pushing for APD to be scrapped entirely, after the Scottish government was recently given power over APD north of the border.
Willie Walsh, Chief Executive of British Airways’ parent company IAG, said;
"The Prime Minister’s words speak volumes. He has finally conceded that APD damages growth and stifles job creation,”
“If APD is on the way out in Scotland, it needs to be scrapped UK wide."
Over the years, APD in the UK has risen at an alarming rate and British travellers pay some of the highest airport taxes in the world.
The gradual rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and tourism-dependent regions such as the Caribbean heavily rely on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...