Government changes APD banding system for passengers departing UK airports
The banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) has been simplified by the government for travellers departing from UK airports. The two bands have now been changed to just one band where air passengers flying to any country more than 2,000 miles from London, such as the Caribbean or Florida, will now be taxed the same amount.
Travellers departing from UK airports will now just pay one tax amount when travelling to any country whose capital is more than 2,000 miles from London.
The government recently made the changes to the banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) to make is simpler for UK travellers heading to destinations such as the Caribbean or Florida.
Prior to the recent changes, a family of four travelling to Florida in economy class paid £240 in APD, but the same family travelling to the Caribbean paid £300, even though Florida is further away from the UK than many countries in the Caribbean region.
The changes will particularly benefit passengers travelling more than 4,000 miles. Passengers flying to the Caribbean will now pay £71 per person, rather than £85, with a family of four saving £56 in total.
APD for children aged under 12 will be scrapped from 1st May, 2015 and in 2016, it will be abolished for all children under 16.
Tour operators and airlines have welcomed the changes after campaigning for APD reductions since 2010 but many companies such as British Airways are still pushing for APD to be scrapped entirely, after the Scottish government was recently given power over APD north of the border.
Willie Walsh, Chief Executive of British Airways’ parent company IAG, said;
"The Prime Minister’s words speak volumes. He has finally conceded that APD damages growth and stifles job creation,”
“If APD is on the way out in Scotland, it needs to be scrapped UK wide."
Over the years, APD in the UK has risen at an alarming rate and British travellers pay some of the highest airport taxes in the world.
The gradual rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and tourism-dependent regions such as the Caribbean heavily rely on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...