Government changes APD banding system for passengers departing UK airports
The banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) has been simplified by the government for travellers departing from UK airports. The two bands have now been changed to just one band where air passengers flying to any country more than 2,000 miles from London, such as the Caribbean or Florida, will now be taxed the same amount.
Travellers departing from UK airports will now just pay one tax amount when travelling to any country whose capital is more than 2,000 miles from London.
The government recently made the changes to the banding system used to calculate Air Passenger Duty (APD) to make is simpler for UK travellers heading to destinations such as the Caribbean or Florida.
Prior to the recent changes, a family of four travelling to Florida in economy class paid £240 in APD, but the same family travelling to the Caribbean paid £300, even though Florida is further away from the UK than many countries in the Caribbean region.
The changes will particularly benefit passengers travelling more than 4,000 miles. Passengers flying to the Caribbean will now pay £71 per person, rather than £85, with a family of four saving £56 in total.
APD for children aged under 12 will be scrapped from 1st May, 2015 and in 2016, it will be abolished for all children under 16.
Tour operators and airlines have welcomed the changes after campaigning for APD reductions since 2010 but many companies such as British Airways are still pushing for APD to be scrapped entirely, after the Scottish government was recently given power over APD north of the border.
Willie Walsh, Chief Executive of British Airways’ parent company IAG, said;
"The Prime Minister’s words speak volumes. He has finally conceded that APD damages growth and stifles job creation,”
“If APD is on the way out in Scotland, it needs to be scrapped UK wide."
Over the years, APD in the UK has risen at an alarming rate and British travellers pay some of the highest airport taxes in the world.
The gradual rise in APD has affected tourism in many countries and tourism-dependent regions such as the Caribbean heavily rely on the income generated from travellers visiting the islands.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...