Cuba to launch new tobacco route in Pinar del Rio
Starting next autumn, Cuba's westernmost province of Pinar del Rio will start offering an attractive brand new tour for nature lovers and tobacco enthusiasts alike. The new Tobacco Route will allow tourists to learn about the process of tobacco-growing and cigar-making while getting an up-close and personal insight into Cuba's prestigious tobacco industry; right from the plantation stages to the finished hand-rolled product.
A new tour taking visitors around Cuba’s biggest and most famous tobacco plantation in Pinar del Rio will start being offered to tourists in September this year.
An attractive new option for nature lovers and those wishing to get a close encounter with Cuba’s world-famous and prestigious tobacco-producing industry, this tour will enable those interested get a close-up view of the tobacco plant growing process and the different stages the leaves go through after being picked and finally rolled into the famous Habanos.
As part of the new tour, those embarking on the Tobacco Route will visit plantations, country estates and other places of cultural and heritage value in the Pinar del Rio municipalites of Consolacion del Sur, San Juan and Martinez and San Luis, all key towns part of a territory known as the “Mecca” of Cuban tobacco production.
Pinar del Rio is Cuba’s westernmost province, located about 150 kilometres west of Havana City. This region is responsible for growing around 16,000 hectares of different varieties of tobacco plants, from which the best leaves are carefully chosen to then be hand-made into the prestigious Habanos, which constitute the island’s fourth biggest export.
Pinar del Rio’s tourist office (Delegacion Territorial del Turismo en Pinar del Rio) announced the launch of the new tobacco route during a recent press release and revealed that the new tour will start being offered from September 2015, to mark the celebration of Cuba’s annual eco-tourism fair, TURNAT 2015, which this year will be hosted in the island’s westernmost province.
In addition to the new tour, tourism authorities also unveiled new eco-excursions to showcase the area’s natural beauty. Among them is the new project of the Sumidero zone, home to Cuyaguateje (the largest river in the area) and an abundance of flora and fauna, as well as the interesting architecture of the urban areas.
For sports enthusiasts, climbing the mogotes of the Vinales Valley will be an exciting new option, as well as the trekking and hiking routes to Mil Cumbres, La Guira and the cays of San Felipe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...