Cuba to launch new tobacco route in Pinar del Rio
Starting next autumn, Cuba's westernmost province of Pinar del Rio will start offering an attractive brand new tour for nature lovers and tobacco enthusiasts alike. The new Tobacco Route will allow tourists to learn about the process of tobacco-growing and cigar-making while getting an up-close and personal insight into Cuba's prestigious tobacco industry; right from the plantation stages to the finished hand-rolled product.
A new tour taking visitors around Cuba’s biggest and most famous tobacco plantation in Pinar del Rio will start being offered to tourists in September this year.
An attractive new option for nature lovers and those wishing to get a close encounter with Cuba’s world-famous and prestigious tobacco-producing industry, this tour will enable those interested get a close-up view of the tobacco plant growing process and the different stages the leaves go through after being picked and finally rolled into the famous Habanos.
As part of the new tour, those embarking on the Tobacco Route will visit plantations, country estates and other places of cultural and heritage value in the Pinar del Rio municipalites of Consolacion del Sur, San Juan and Martinez and San Luis, all key towns part of a territory known as the “Mecca” of Cuban tobacco production.
Pinar del Rio is Cuba’s westernmost province, located about 150 kilometres west of Havana City. This region is responsible for growing around 16,000 hectares of different varieties of tobacco plants, from which the best leaves are carefully chosen to then be hand-made into the prestigious Habanos, which constitute the island’s fourth biggest export.
Pinar del Rio’s tourist office (Delegacion Territorial del Turismo en Pinar del Rio) announced the launch of the new tobacco route during a recent press release and revealed that the new tour will start being offered from September 2015, to mark the celebration of Cuba’s annual eco-tourism fair, TURNAT 2015, which this year will be hosted in the island’s westernmost province.
In addition to the new tour, tourism authorities also unveiled new eco-excursions to showcase the area’s natural beauty. Among them is the new project of the Sumidero zone, home to Cuyaguateje (the largest river in the area) and an abundance of flora and fauna, as well as the interesting architecture of the urban areas.
For sports enthusiasts, climbing the mogotes of the Vinales Valley will be an exciting new option, as well as the trekking and hiking routes to Mil Cumbres, La Guira and the cays of San Felipe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...