Cuba to launch new tobacco route in Pinar del Rio
Starting next autumn, Cuba's westernmost province of Pinar del Rio will start offering an attractive brand new tour for nature lovers and tobacco enthusiasts alike. The new Tobacco Route will allow tourists to learn about the process of tobacco-growing and cigar-making while getting an up-close and personal insight into Cuba's prestigious tobacco industry; right from the plantation stages to the finished hand-rolled product.
A new tour taking visitors around Cuba’s biggest and most famous tobacco plantation in Pinar del Rio will start being offered to tourists in September this year.
An attractive new option for nature lovers and those wishing to get a close encounter with Cuba’s world-famous and prestigious tobacco-producing industry, this tour will enable those interested get a close-up view of the tobacco plant growing process and the different stages the leaves go through after being picked and finally rolled into the famous Habanos.
As part of the new tour, those embarking on the Tobacco Route will visit plantations, country estates and other places of cultural and heritage value in the Pinar del Rio municipalites of Consolacion del Sur, San Juan and Martinez and San Luis, all key towns part of a territory known as the “Mecca” of Cuban tobacco production.
Pinar del Rio is Cuba’s westernmost province, located about 150 kilometres west of Havana City. This region is responsible for growing around 16,000 hectares of different varieties of tobacco plants, from which the best leaves are carefully chosen to then be hand-made into the prestigious Habanos, which constitute the island’s fourth biggest export.
Pinar del Rio’s tourist office (Delegacion Territorial del Turismo en Pinar del Rio) announced the launch of the new tobacco route during a recent press release and revealed that the new tour will start being offered from September 2015, to mark the celebration of Cuba’s annual eco-tourism fair, TURNAT 2015, which this year will be hosted in the island’s westernmost province.
In addition to the new tour, tourism authorities also unveiled new eco-excursions to showcase the area’s natural beauty. Among them is the new project of the Sumidero zone, home to Cuyaguateje (the largest river in the area) and an abundance of flora and fauna, as well as the interesting architecture of the urban areas.
For sports enthusiasts, climbing the mogotes of the Vinales Valley will be an exciting new option, as well as the trekking and hiking routes to Mil Cumbres, La Guira and the cays of San Felipe.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...