Onyx Hospitality Group starts work on third Sri Lanka hotel
The Onyx Hospitality Group will open its third property in Sri Lanka, the Amari Galle Hotel with construction already underway. The hotel, which will be operated under the Amari brand, will join company with Onyx's Ozo branded Sri Lanka hotels, the Ozo Colombo and the Ozo Kandy.
Thailand based Onyx Hospitality Group recently announced that work has begun on its third property in Sri Lanka, the Amari Galle Hotel.
The 172 room hotel is located on Galle Road and joins Onyx's other two Sri Lanka hotels operated under the group's Ozo brand, the Ozo Colombo launched in June 2014 and the Ozo Kandy hotel scheduled to open its doors in April 2015. The Amari Hotel, managed under Onyx's Amari brand, will feature a swimming pool, a gym, a luxury spa and two restaurants.
At the time of the announcement, Onyx Hospitality Group's President and CEO Peter Henley stated:
"We are thrilled to be breaking ground on our third project in Sri Lanka. Tourism is thriving and we think a full service hotel product like Amari will be very well received in the market.
"The brand aims to provide guests with culturally enriched and memorable shared experiences, and with the array of historical sites and the warmth of Sri Lankan hospitality, Galle is an obvious location for our next Amari property".
The launch of this third hotel comes as the Onyx Group seeks to realize its international growth strategy, which, in part, seeks to strengthen its position in Asia. Onyx's president and CEO Peter Henley recently announced that, in addition to its hotels in Sri Lanka, his firm has plans to operate at least 10 hotels in India by 2022.
Sri Lanka's thriving tourism industry presents an opportunity for firms like Onyx. Recent figures released by the Sri Lankan authorities indicate that 2014 was a record breaking year as the number of travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka exceeded 1.5 million with 1,527,153 arrivals representing a near 20 per cent year on year increase.
On the back of a successful 2014, local officials have set their sights 2.5 million arrivals by 2016 and feel confident that the high level of hotel investments from firms like Shangri-La, Hyatt, Mariott, Movenpick as well as the Onyx Hospitality Group will help to ensure that Sri Lanka can meet its target.
While the Maldives, Seychelles and Mauritius have a reputation for being the top Indian Ocean destinations, Sri Lanka has, in recent years, been gaining more attention among industry insiders and travellers as evidenced by its burgeoning tourism industry. Forbes recently named Sri Lanka among its "10 Coolest Places To Visit in 2015" list.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting Ã la carte menus and buffet style
- price includes free Half Board Upgrade
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....