Onyx Hospitality Group starts work on third Sri Lanka hotel
The Onyx Hospitality Group will open its third property in Sri Lanka, the Amari Galle Hotel with construction already underway. The hotel, which will be operated under the Amari brand, will join company with Onyx's Ozo branded Sri Lanka hotels, the Ozo Colombo and the Ozo Kandy.
Thailand based Onyx Hospitality Group recently announced that work has begun on its third property in Sri Lanka, the Amari Galle Hotel.
The 172 room hotel is located on Galle Road and joins Onyx's other two Sri Lanka hotels operated under the group's Ozo brand, the Ozo Colombo launched in June 2014 and the Ozo Kandy hotel scheduled to open its doors in April 2015. The Amari Hotel, managed under Onyx's Amari brand, will feature a swimming pool, a gym, a luxury spa and two restaurants.
At the time of the announcement, Onyx Hospitality Group's President and CEO Peter Henley stated:
"We are thrilled to be breaking ground on our third project in Sri Lanka. Tourism is thriving and we think a full service hotel product like Amari will be very well received in the market.
"The brand aims to provide guests with culturally enriched and memorable shared experiences, and with the array of historical sites and the warmth of Sri Lankan hospitality, Galle is an obvious location for our next Amari property".
The launch of this third hotel comes as the Onyx Group seeks to realize its international growth strategy, which, in part, seeks to strengthen its position in Asia. Onyx's president and CEO Peter Henley recently announced that, in addition to its hotels in Sri Lanka, his firm has plans to operate at least 10 hotels in India by 2022.
Sri Lanka's thriving tourism industry presents an opportunity for firms like Onyx. Recent figures released by the Sri Lankan authorities indicate that 2014 was a record breaking year as the number of travellers taking holidays in Sri Lanka exceeded 1.5 million with 1,527,153 arrivals representing a near 20 per cent year on year increase.
On the back of a successful 2014, local officials have set their sights 2.5 million arrivals by 2016 and feel confident that the high level of hotel investments from firms like Shangri-La, Hyatt, Mariott, Movenpick as well as the Onyx Hospitality Group will help to ensure that Sri Lanka can meet its target.
While the Maldives, Seychelles and Mauritius have a reputation for being the top Indian Ocean destinations, Sri Lanka has, in recent years, been gaining more attention among industry insiders and travellers as evidenced by its burgeoning tourism industry. Forbes recently named Sri Lanka among its "10 Coolest Places To Visit in 2015" list.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Enjoy the peace and quite with a good choice of amenities and great location to discover the world of Sri Lanka
- Warm atmosphere and chic design make for a comfortable stay
- Tripadvisor Award Winner with a certificate of excellence for 2015
- Price includes free Half Board Upgrade
- Enjoy the amazing traditional and international cuisines presented in tempting a la carte menus and buffet style
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- Transport in a comfortable, air-conditioned vehicle
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...