Popular American comedian and TV presenter films in Cuba
U.S. TV host and comedian, Conan O'Brien went on a short four-day holiday to Cuba last month and shot a full episode in the streets of Havana for his late night TV programme; making him the first late night American host to visit the previously 'forbidden' Caribbean nation since 1959.
U.S. TV host and comedian, Conan O’Brien went on a short four-day holiday to Cuba last month and shot a full episode in the streets of Havana for his late night TV programme; making him the first late night American host to visit the previously ‘forbidden’ Caribbean nation since 1959.
Conan O’Brien, an American comedian and host of a late night show named after himself, recently set foot in Cuba to film a special episode that aired last night on U.S. TV channel, TBS.
The filming of the episode took place over a last-minute arranged four-day trip to Cuba, which quickly followed President Obama’s lifting of travel restrictions to visit Cuba.
The special episode, simply titled "Conan in Cuba" was shot continuously over Conan’s four-day stay in the island in a somewhat hap-hazard, unplanned way that worked out brilliantly to reflect the island’s real vibe and Conan’s sometimes clumsy attempts at speaking Spanish, improvising some salsa-dancing and general poking fun of himself as the classic tourist idiot.
This light comedic take on rediscovering Cuba from an American’s perspective aimed to shine a light on the island’s culture through the comedian’s characteristic approach. He explained how he wanted to purposefully avoid anything politically-geared or that could be interpreted as condescending or sarcastic.
“I felt strongly that I do not want this to be a smart, snarky American comedy take,
“I don't want this to be political. A lot of my remotes are me as a fish out of water, the jokes are usually on me, I want to go as a comedian making fun of myself and make Cuban people laugh. In that regard, I think I was successful.”
The episode shows a lot of Conan simply walking around the streets of Havana, attempting to strike up conversations with locals, and generally making it up as he goes along.
“I try to learn salsa dancing, I try to learn to play authentic Cuban music and sing using fractured eighth-grade Spanish. They let me into a cigar factory where they hand-make cigars, 400 people in a room. Obviously, I'm no good at it. "
He explains how easygoing and helpful Cubans were in helping him set-up the occasional props for some scenes and how the whole shooting turned out to be a very enjoyable process that went smoothly without a glitch.
"We borrowed a café table, put an old microphone on it, and a band of three or four women were playing (nearby), so I asked them if they'd be my house band. And then we found a guy to be Cuban Andy, who I actually have better chemistry with."
O’Brien is the latest pioneering American celebrity to have broken the ice in visiting the island shortly after Obama lifted travel restrictions to Cuba. Starlets like Paris Hilton have made a much-publicised trip to Cuba in recent weeks, clearly showing the advanced stage of the thawing process between Cuban and American relations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...