Cancun recorded 7.5 per cent increase in tourist arrivals in 2014
Visitor arrivals in Cancun, Mexico increased by 7.5 per cent in 2014, according to new figures released by the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau. The region recorded a total of 4,013,002 tourist arrivals through its airport last year and the rise is thought to have been attributed by increased flight connectivity and new hotels and resorts.
The number of tourists numbers to Cancun in Mexico increased last year by 7.5 per cent compared to 2013.
According to figures released by the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, the popular coastal region recorded 4,013,002 tourist arrivals at Cancun International Airport in 2014.
Last year, Cancun saw an increase in year on year visitors every month, and April saw the biggest surge with a 23 per cent rise in tourists.
The Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau says that increased flight connectivity and new hotels and resorts contributed towards the rise in holidaymakers.
The number of UK visitors reached 93,049 in 2014 and there are air links to Cancun with British Airways three times a week, Virgin Atlantic, twice a week, and regional services with Thomas Cook and Thomson.
Situated on the strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and the city is full of upscale hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, shops and boutiques, world-class golf courses, and fun activities.
Visitors can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba dive beneath the surface of the crystal clear turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trek through lush rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region's ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but over the past four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and nature-lovers.
The region's popular hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed by the turquoise Caribbean Sea, and an array of luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and casinos.
Cancun is the perfect foodie destination for travellers who love to sample delicious cuisine and every year, the region hosts the Cancun-Riviera Maya Wine and Food Festival.
A popular tourist attraction is the Museum of Underwater Modern Art which was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor and is located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres. It is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and can be accessed via scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
The resort benefits from the privacy of a resort community creating an all-inclusive adults only oasis while still being close to the Cancun bars, shops and nightlife
- Sample gourmet cuisine from all over the world in nine Ã la carte restaurants
- An all-inclusive adults only oasis located on an untouched peninsula
- Located between the Caribbean sea and a wetlands reserve while still being close enough to lively Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...