Cancun recorded 7.5 per cent increase in tourist arrivals in 2014
Visitor arrivals in Cancun, Mexico increased by 7.5 per cent in 2014, according to new figures released by the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau. The region recorded a total of 4,013,002 tourist arrivals through its airport last year and the rise is thought to have been attributed by increased flight connectivity and new hotels and resorts.
The number of tourists numbers to Cancun in Mexico increased last year by 7.5 per cent compared to 2013.
According to figures released by the Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau, the popular coastal region recorded 4,013,002 tourist arrivals at Cancun International Airport in 2014.
Last year, Cancun saw an increase in year on year visitors every month, and April saw the biggest surge with a 23 per cent rise in tourists.
The Cancun Convention and Visitors Bureau says that increased flight connectivity and new hotels and resorts contributed towards the rise in holidaymakers.
The number of UK visitors reached 93,049 in 2014 and there are air links to Cancun with British Airways three times a week, Virgin Atlantic, twice a week, and regional services with Thomas Cook and Thomson.
Situated on the strip of Caribbean coastline on Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular tourist destinations in the country and the city is full of upscale hotels and resorts, gourmet restaurants, nightclubs, tourist attractions, shops and boutiques, world-class golf courses, and fun activities.
Visitors can go zip lining through verdant jungles; scuba dive beneath the surface of the crystal clear turquoise ocean to explore the famous underwater museum and spectacular marine life; trek through lush rainforests that are thriving with diverse wildlife; or explore the region's ancient Mayan ruins and temples such as Coba, Ek Balam, San Gervasio, Xcaret, and Chichen Itza.
In 1970, Cancun was an uninhabited area full of unexplored beaches and mangroves but over the past four decades, the region has become a thriving destination for sun-seekers, spring breakers, and nature-lovers.
The region's popular hotel zone is home to 26 kilometres of pristine white sand beaches that are fringed by the turquoise Caribbean Sea, and an array of luxury hotels, restaurants, bars, shops, and casinos.
Cancun is the perfect foodie destination for travellers who love to sample delicious cuisine and every year, the region hosts the Cancun-Riviera Maya Wine and Food Festival.
A popular tourist attraction is the Museum of Underwater Modern Art which was created by English artist Jason deCaires Taylor and is located in the National Marine Park of Isla Mujeres. It is home to 400 life-sized sculptures that reflect Mayan people and can be accessed via scuba diving and snorkelling activities.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...