Three luxury resorts prove the Maldives is a destination for couples, families and partygoers
The Maldives has always been a destination renowned for romantic honeymoons and luxury getaways, but a recent article in The Telegraph has proved that this is a holiday destination for all ages. One travel writer visited three islands in the archipelago in the Indian Ocean to find out what's on offer.
When you think of the Maldives, images of unspoilt white sand beaches and turquoise ocean waters come to mind, and most people consider it a destination for romantic escapes and luxury honeymoons.
However, a recent article in The Telegraph has revealed that the Maldives can be a destination for holidaymakers of all ages and there's plenty to do aside from relaxing on those gorgeous beaches.
Travel Writer Deni Kirkova recently visited the Kuramathi, Velassaru and Kandolhu resorts in the Maldives.
Kandolhu is the newest property to open by Universal Resorts and its remote location on the end of Kandolhu island in the North Ari Atoll allows guests to enjoy privacy which has led it to attract famous faces such as Denis Van Outen.
The luxury resort opened in February 2014 and its modern European architecture gives it's a sleek look, while facilities such as a library, a lavish spa with organic treatments, four gourmet restaurants, including the Sea Grill, and a telescope where guests can enjoy light pollution-free stargazing at night. Kirkova writes:
"At the grand Varu spa here, I had the best facial of my life. The products used are all organic and come from a boutique Irish beauty brand called Voya."
The accommodation includes two storeys pool villas with outdoor bathrooms, a kitchenette, a bar, and a spacious bedroom with private balcony.
The Velassaru Resort was the next stop with 129 luxury villas and water bungalows with pools looking out to the sea through glass walls.
This beachfront resort is ideal for hedonistic holidaymakers with monthly full moon parties hosted on the beach with celebrity DJs. Kirkova explained:
"After a dip in my private infinity pool and a cool shower (with L'Occitane toiletries, of course), I headed to the nearby watering hole Chill Bar, an ideal setting for watching the sunset while eating top-notch tapas."
The island retreat welcomes children, though there is no kids club, and there are an array of exquisite restaurants and stylish bars.
The final island resort was on the family-friendly island of Kuramathi and it boasts 300 luxury villas with a buggy service that transports guests from A to B.
This upscale resort has unique features including a hydroponic garden and an eco centre that is home to the skeleton of a giant sperm whale where young and old guests can learn about the local environment and wildlife. Kirkova writes:
"On a snorkelling tour, majestic reef sharks roamed and giant turtles swam up to greet us while tropical and colourful clownfish and butterfly fish went about their business. The marine biologist on duty, Angie, was fun as well as knowledgeable."
The all inclusive beachfront resort offers a selection of dining options including Duniye, and Sand bar, where guests can relax in bean bag chairs while listening to live acoustic music.
The Maldives is an archipelago spanning nearly 2,000 islands in the Indian Ocean, of which 200 are inhabited. The islands are home to beautiful natural landscapes made up of pristine white sand palm fringed beaches, verdant tropical forests, and azure clear turquoise waters that are teeming with marine species, reefs and colourful corals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore stunning coral reefs in your private piece of heaven on earth where the sparkling white sands will caress your toes as the warm turquoise waters gently kiss your skin.
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner, snacks, top-shelf beverages and selected sports all come included in the price of your stay
- Discover the stunning coral reefs, go out on a fishing trip or have a go at water skiing, amongst other activities
- Overlook the Indian Ocean from your room and step out onto the white soft sands the Maldives is famous for
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...