Paris Hilton and Naomi Campbell on holiday in Cuba
Hilton's most famous heiress Paris Hilton recently revealed she had flown into Cuba when she posted an Instagram photo of herself in Old Havana. More recently, another set of photos has been circulating around the web and causing much furore. They show Paris and Naomi Campbell attending a special gala dinner hosted by former president Fidel Castro's eldest son, Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart.
It was a shock to most to see a member of the legendary American Hilton family entering Cuba after over half a century of ill-relations between the two countries and the total forced abandonment of the Hilton brand after Castro’s government nationalised all hotels in the island.
The granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, the man who famously opened the Hilton Habana (now Tryp Habana Libre) back in 1958, barely a year before Castro and his bearded rebels won the revolution, couldn’t wait to tell everyone where she was heading next as she announced via her Twitter account:
“Taking off to Cuba! I won't have phone service for a couple days. So if I don't respond to your texts it's cause I'm not receiving them.”
Shortly after she shared a snapshot of herself standing next to some giant teddy bears which where part of an exhibition currently being showcased in Old Havana’s iconic San Francisco de Asis Square. She completed her photo with the caption.
“Loving Old Havana! So beautiful & unique.”
Other Instagram pictures that soon followed included one of here standing in a rooftop with the following caption:
"There's some beautiful architecture here in Cuba."
Perhaps one of the most iconic is a shot of her standing in a balcony of the hotel her grandfather built in a Marylin Monroe-inspired dress. She captioned this photo with the words:
"Posing in front of the original 'Habana Hilton Hotel' that my great grandfather Conrad opened here in 1958."
And then there are the famous snapshots of her and Naomi Campbell standing next to Fidel Castro’s eldest son; Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart while attending Cuba’s annual cigar festival; Festival del Habano, which took place last week between 23-27th February, 2015.
Paris Hilton was even captured taking a selfie of herself standing next to the son of the man that nationalised her grandfather’s hotel, which at the time was one of the newest and most luxurious in the city. Quite the surreal image when you take into account that these are the sort of families you would think would have never been seen in public together, let alone speak to each other.
This is yet another clear reflection of how fast things are changing now in Cuba and how the two countries are putting their differences aside, carving a new path for mutual understanding and development. If Castros and Hiltons putting a united front together isn’t a show of change and letting go of old grudges, then what could be?
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...