Paris Hilton and Naomi Campbell on holiday in Cuba
Hilton's most famous heiress Paris Hilton recently revealed she had flown into Cuba when she posted an Instagram photo of herself in Old Havana. More recently, another set of photos has been circulating around the web and causing much furore. They show Paris and Naomi Campbell attending a special gala dinner hosted by former president Fidel Castro's eldest son, Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart.
It was a shock to most to see a member of the legendary American Hilton family entering Cuba after over half a century of ill-relations between the two countries and the total forced abandonment of the Hilton brand after Castro’s government nationalised all hotels in the island.
The granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, the man who famously opened the Hilton Habana (now Tryp Habana Libre) back in 1958, barely a year before Castro and his bearded rebels won the revolution, couldn’t wait to tell everyone where she was heading next as she announced via her Twitter account:
“Taking off to Cuba! I won't have phone service for a couple days. So if I don't respond to your texts it's cause I'm not receiving them.”
Shortly after she shared a snapshot of herself standing next to some giant teddy bears which where part of an exhibition currently being showcased in Old Havana’s iconic San Francisco de Asis Square. She completed her photo with the caption.
“Loving Old Havana! So beautiful & unique.”
Other Instagram pictures that soon followed included one of here standing in a rooftop with the following caption:
"There's some beautiful architecture here in Cuba."
Perhaps one of the most iconic is a shot of her standing in a balcony of the hotel her grandfather built in a Marylin Monroe-inspired dress. She captioned this photo with the words:
"Posing in front of the original 'Habana Hilton Hotel' that my great grandfather Conrad opened here in 1958."
And then there are the famous snapshots of her and Naomi Campbell standing next to Fidel Castro’s eldest son; Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart while attending Cuba’s annual cigar festival; Festival del Habano, which took place last week between 23-27th February, 2015.
Paris Hilton was even captured taking a selfie of herself standing next to the son of the man that nationalised her grandfather’s hotel, which at the time was one of the newest and most luxurious in the city. Quite the surreal image when you take into account that these are the sort of families you would think would have never been seen in public together, let alone speak to each other.
This is yet another clear reflection of how fast things are changing now in Cuba and how the two countries are putting their differences aside, carving a new path for mutual understanding and development. If Castros and Hiltons putting a united front together isn’t a show of change and letting go of old grudges, then what could be?
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...