Paris Hilton and Naomi Campbell on holiday in Cuba
Hilton's most famous heiress Paris Hilton recently revealed she had flown into Cuba when she posted an Instagram photo of herself in Old Havana. More recently, another set of photos has been circulating around the web and causing much furore. They show Paris and Naomi Campbell attending a special gala dinner hosted by former president Fidel Castro's eldest son, Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart.
It was a shock to most to see a member of the legendary American Hilton family entering Cuba after over half a century of ill-relations between the two countries and the total forced abandonment of the Hilton brand after Castro’s government nationalised all hotels in the island.
The granddaughter of Conrad Hilton, the man who famously opened the Hilton Habana (now Tryp Habana Libre) back in 1958, barely a year before Castro and his bearded rebels won the revolution, couldn’t wait to tell everyone where she was heading next as she announced via her Twitter account:
“Taking off to Cuba! I won't have phone service for a couple days. So if I don't respond to your texts it's cause I'm not receiving them.”
Shortly after she shared a snapshot of herself standing next to some giant teddy bears which where part of an exhibition currently being showcased in Old Havana’s iconic San Francisco de Asis Square. She completed her photo with the caption.
“Loving Old Havana! So beautiful & unique.”
Other Instagram pictures that soon followed included one of here standing in a rooftop with the following caption:
"There's some beautiful architecture here in Cuba."
Perhaps one of the most iconic is a shot of her standing in a balcony of the hotel her grandfather built in a Marylin Monroe-inspired dress. She captioned this photo with the words:
"Posing in front of the original 'Habana Hilton Hotel' that my great grandfather Conrad opened here in 1958."
And then there are the famous snapshots of her and Naomi Campbell standing next to Fidel Castro’s eldest son; Fidel Castro Diaz-Balart while attending Cuba’s annual cigar festival; Festival del Habano, which took place last week between 23-27th February, 2015.
Paris Hilton was even captured taking a selfie of herself standing next to the son of the man that nationalised her grandfather’s hotel, which at the time was one of the newest and most luxurious in the city. Quite the surreal image when you take into account that these are the sort of families you would think would have never been seen in public together, let alone speak to each other.
This is yet another clear reflection of how fast things are changing now in Cuba and how the two countries are putting their differences aside, carving a new path for mutual understanding and development. If Castros and Hiltons putting a united front together isn’t a show of change and letting go of old grudges, then what could be?
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...