KonaCat plans new ferry service between Florida and Havana, Cuba
The Fort Lauderdale-based company KonaCat is planning to start a new ferry service between Marathon City Marina in Florida and Havana in Cuba. Owner, Brian Hall, is looking to operate a service via a 200-passenger catamaran twice a day, following President Obama's announcement that travel restrictions to Cuba would be eased.
The owner of KonaCat in Fort Lauderdale is planning to launch a new ferry service between Florida and Cuba.
Owner of KonaCat, Brian Hall, is looking to start a service via a 200-passenger catamaran twice a day between Marathon City Marina and Havana, Cuba by the end of 2015.
Following President Obama's announcement about travel restrictions to Cuba being eased, late last year, Hall is keen to start up a service which was once hugely popular before the travel embargo was enforced.
A four-hour one-way trip will cost $169 or it will be $338 for a return if the licence is granted. Mr Hall explained:
"We're going to operate as a non-profit organisation. I feel pretty certain we'll get the OFAC license. The trips are going to be for religious groups, educational trips and for Cuban-Americans to see their families again."
Hall is hoping that Customs international entry point at Florida Keys Marathon Airport, which is currently under construction, will be completed before the first ferry service launches and he is working with customs agents to ensure the correct procedures for inspections take place. Mr Hall also commented:
"When we dock, the boat will be given to a customs agent who will sweep the whole boat and all the baggage. It will be similar to the customs screening you get if you flew into the country by plane."
Just 90 miles away from the USA, Cuba, an island nation in the Caribbean Sea, has become the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo since 1962.
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...