KonaCat plans new ferry service between Florida and Havana, Cuba
The Fort Lauderdale-based company KonaCat is planning to start a new ferry service between Marathon City Marina in Florida and Havana in Cuba. Owner, Brian Hall, is looking to operate a service via a 200-passenger catamaran twice a day, following President Obama's announcement that travel restrictions to Cuba would be eased.
The owner of KonaCat in Fort Lauderdale is planning to launch a new ferry service between Florida and Cuba.
Owner of KonaCat, Brian Hall, is looking to start a service via a 200-passenger catamaran twice a day between Marathon City Marina and Havana, Cuba by the end of 2015.
Following President Obama's announcement about travel restrictions to Cuba being eased, late last year, Hall is keen to start up a service which was once hugely popular before the travel embargo was enforced.
A four-hour one-way trip will cost $169 or it will be $338 for a return if the licence is granted. Mr Hall explained:
"We're going to operate as a non-profit organisation. I feel pretty certain we'll get the OFAC license. The trips are going to be for religious groups, educational trips and for Cuban-Americans to see their families again."
Hall is hoping that Customs international entry point at Florida Keys Marathon Airport, which is currently under construction, will be completed before the first ferry service launches and he is working with customs agents to ensure the correct procedures for inspections take place. Mr Hall also commented:
"When we dock, the boat will be given to a customs agent who will sweep the whole boat and all the baggage. It will be similar to the customs screening you get if you flew into the country by plane."
Just 90 miles away from the USA, Cuba, an island nation in the Caribbean Sea, has become the third most popular holiday destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo since 1962.
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...