Sri Lanka celebrates record tourist numbers achieved during 2014
Sri Lanka experienced its best ever tourism year in 2014 with more than 1.5 million visitor arrivals. The Indian Ocean island saw a 19.8 per cent increase in arrivals in 2014 compared to 2013 and government officials are now estimating a tourist target of 2.5 million in 2016 as well as a significant increase in hotel developments.
Government officials have announced that Sri Lanka experienced its best ever year in 2014, with more than 1.5 tourist arrivals.
During 2014 Sri Lanka received 1,527,153 holidaymakers last year, a 19.8 per cent increase compared to figures in 2013, and the country has experienced record numbers for 68 months in a row.
With visitor numbers steadily increasing and the development of new luxury hotels and resort on the island, government officials are expecting tourist arrivals to reach 2.5 million in 2016.
Madubhani Perera, the Director of Marketing at Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA), explained:
"I believe we have the capacity to host such a number because we will now be focusing on new markets in order to attract tourists.
"With substantial hotel investments in Sri Lanka - for example, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Marriot and Movenpick - as well as the opening up of the East coast and Kalpitiya for resort-hotel projects, the 50,000 rooms needed to meet the arrivals targets can be met."
Tourism is a key factor in Sri Lanka and the industry earned the country $1.775 billion in the first ten months of 2014, an increase of 30.4 per cent compared to 2013.
Most of the international visitors (479,007) originated from Western Europe which is a 13.7 increase compared to 2013, and the island saw a 136.1 per cent increase in the number of Chinese tourists.
Sri Lanka is an island in the Indian Ocean renowned for its stunning natural scenery and diverse ecosystem that is made up of miles of sandy beaches, soaring mountains, thriving wildlife sanctuaries, verdant nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which that ancient cities and colonial forts.
Since the end of its 25-year-long conflict in 2009, the island has seen a much-needed boost in the number of tourists as travellers regain confidence in safe travel to the island. Over the last few years, the state-run Sri Lanka Tourism Authority has been working hard to promote the country as a safe tourist destination throughout many countries across the world.
The island is home to eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites including ancient cities such as Anuradhapura, which was founded in the 4th century BC lay hidden for years in a thick jungle. The city's palaces, temples and monuments are on display again and provide a fantastic insight into Sri Lanka's ancient heritage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Soak up the wonderful sights and sound of one of the Jewels of the Indian Ocean
- Capture sights of any of the 'Big Five' on your game drives
- The perfect location for hiking and cycling with excellent trails and cool climate in N'Eliya
- Climb up the Ritigala for a unique sight and stone stairway
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...