Sri Lanka celebrates record tourist numbers achieved during 2014
Sri Lanka experienced its best ever tourism year in 2014 with more than 1.5 million visitor arrivals. The Indian Ocean island saw a 19.8 per cent increase in arrivals in 2014 compared to 2013 and government officials are now estimating a tourist target of 2.5 million in 2016 as well as a significant increase in hotel developments.
Government officials have announced that Sri Lanka experienced its best ever year in 2014, with more than 1.5 tourist arrivals.
During 2014 Sri Lanka received 1,527,153 holidaymakers last year, a 19.8 per cent increase compared to figures in 2013, and the country has experienced record numbers for 68 months in a row.
With visitor numbers steadily increasing and the development of new luxury hotels and resort on the island, government officials are expecting tourist arrivals to reach 2.5 million in 2016.
Madubhani Perera, the Director of Marketing at Sri Lanka Tourism Development Authority (SLTDA), explained:
"I believe we have the capacity to host such a number because we will now be focusing on new markets in order to attract tourists.
"With substantial hotel investments in Sri Lanka - for example, Shangri-La, Hyatt, Marriot and Movenpick - as well as the opening up of the East coast and Kalpitiya for resort-hotel projects, the 50,000 rooms needed to meet the arrivals targets can be met."
Tourism is a key factor in Sri Lanka and the industry earned the country $1.775 billion in the first ten months of 2014, an increase of 30.4 per cent compared to 2013.
Most of the international visitors (479,007) originated from Western Europe which is a 13.7 increase compared to 2013, and the island saw a 136.1 per cent increase in the number of Chinese tourists.
Sri Lanka is an island in the Indian Ocean renowned for its stunning natural scenery and diverse ecosystem that is made up of miles of sandy beaches, soaring mountains, thriving wildlife sanctuaries, verdant nature parks, and an array of heritage sites which that ancient cities and colonial forts.
Since the end of its 25-year-long conflict in 2009, the island has seen a much-needed boost in the number of tourists as travellers regain confidence in safe travel to the island. Over the last few years, the state-run Sri Lanka Tourism Authority has been working hard to promote the country as a safe tourist destination throughout many countries across the world.
The island is home to eight UNESCO World Heritage Sites including ancient cities such as Anuradhapura, which was founded in the 4th century BC lay hidden for years in a thick jungle. The city's palaces, temples and monuments are on display again and provide a fantastic insight into Sri Lanka's ancient heritage.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover the beautiful Sri Lankan nature, located beside a perfect strech beach on the Island's West Coast
- Beautifully located beside a perfect stretch of sandy beach on the island's west coast
- Modern and comfortable rooms with breathtaking sea views
- Choose from the open air terrace offering delicious traditional and international cuisines
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour and Beach showcases some of the most cultural and historic sites in the world,...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....