Maldives' first free-diving centre opens at Dusit Thani resort
Luxury all-inclusive resort Dusit Thani Maldives has opened the country's first-ever free-diving centre on its private island of Mudhdhoo. Surrounded by the rich coral reefs of the Maldives' only UNESCO Biosphere Reserve, the internationally-accredited centre will offer guests the chance to learn how to dive into the underwater world without the aid of scuba equipment.
Luxury island resort Dusit Thani Maldives has opened the country's first ever free-diving centre located on Mudhdhoo Island in Baa Atoll. The internationally-approved centre will offer guests the chance to learn to dive without scuba equipment under the supervision of highly experienced instructors.
The island resort, surrounded by a vibrant coral reef and calm turquoise lagoon, has partnered with globally-renowned free-diving organisation Apnea Total to offer the unique watersport to guests. As well as experiencing the tranquillity and beauty of the underwater world without the hindrance of bulky scuba-diving equipment, the sport is said to have various health and fitness benefits.
The new centre will offer all levels of free-diving accreditation following the Apnea Total education system and standards. Courses include 2-day free-diver basic programmes, 3-day advanced free-diver accreditation and, for the really committed, 5-week free-diving master certification. The basic course equips guests to dive safely and comfortably down to 20 metres on a single breath, while the advanced course enables guests to dive down to 40 metres below sea level.
All the instructors at the centre have the utmost expertise in the sport, having trained and worked under record-holding free-divers. The new centre also comes fully equipped with world-class Cressi dive gear that is rented to free-divers as part of the course price.
"Free-diving is a phenomenal water sport to offer guests at the resort, especially when we are blessed with such stunning marine biodiversity due to being located within the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve."
Said Dusit Thani's director of sales and marketing, Thanos Lionsatos, he also explained:
"This new initiative is a reflection of our continued pursuit of expanding our portfolio of guest services at Dusit Thani Maldives."
The resort island is an ideal spot from which to explore the marine biodiversity of Baa Atoll, the first UNESCO World Biosphere Reserve in the country. The free-diving centre is the latest addition to the resort's wide range of watersports, which includes scuba-diving at Baa Atoll's many spectacular dive sites and snorkelling around Mudhdhoo Island's offshore reef.
Dusit Thani Maldives is located on its own private coral island rimmed by pearly white beaches, which is 35 minutes by seaplane from the Maldivian capital Male. The all-inclusive resort has 100 Thai-inspired villas, some set over the ocean, as well as a luxurious spa built amid a canopy of coconut palms. The resort's centrepiece is the largest infinity pool in the Maldives, designed around an ancient Banyan tree, and there are also three restaurants and two bars overlooking the ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Paradise Island suits a range of lifestyles from relaxing at the Araamu Spa to surfing the great waves.
- This magnificent spa is almost completely surrounded by the azure waters of the Indian Ocean, creating a perfect location for relaxing and theraputic treatments
- Paradise island is just one kilometre long and 230 metres wide, surrounded by pristine beaches and off shore reefs that teem with excellent marine life waiting for guests to explore
- fresh produce arrives daily for the master chef and team to deliver sumptuous dishes, delicately flavoured. Restaurants include japanese, italian, 24 hour a la carte coffee shop and main restaurant serving international buffets
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
Explore an underwater world of breathtaking beauty and laze on the finest white sands at Sun Island Resort, a tropical paradise of peace and serenity.
- including return transfers by speed boat
- Enjoy endless activities including scuba diving, snorkelling, water-skiing and more
- Tickle your taste buds with rich flavours and innovative cuisine that incorporates exotic Thai and Oriental influences
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
Located on a secluded private island of Dhuni Kolhu, the hotel is a tropical paradise with white sandy beaches and...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...