Iberia to resume flights between Madrid and Havana, Cuba from June
Iberia has announced that it will be resuming its suspended flights between Madrid in Spain and Havana in Cuba. The Spanish airline suspended the flights to the Caribbean island two year ago but they will restart and operate five times a week to the capital city and will be served by new Airbus A330s.
The Spanish airline Iberia has announced that it will restart its suspended service between Madrid and Havana.
The airline stated that the flights to Cuba were suspended two years ago due to restructuring of the company but they will resume on 1st June, 2015.
The flights to Havana Airport (HAV) will operate five times a week on new Airbus A330s, giving passengers from all over the world regular access to the Caribbean island.
Luis Gallego, Iberia's chairman and CEO, explained:
"I am delighted to be able to announce that Iberia is returning to Cuba. When we suspended Madrid-Havana services two years ago we pledged to return as soon as we could make the route sustainable over time, and that moment has arrived."
"The changes made in Iberia in the past several months allow us not only to return to Cuba, but to operate new flights to new destinations in Latin America, such as Cali and Medellin, which will strengthen Iberia's leadership in the region."
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO heritage site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea and it has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo.
In 2013, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. The recent announcement from US President Obama stating that Cuba travel restrictions will be eased for US residents means that the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor arrivals in the very near future.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...