Iberia to resume flights between Madrid and Havana, Cuba from June
Iberia has announced that it will be resuming its suspended flights between Madrid in Spain and Havana in Cuba. The Spanish airline suspended the flights to the Caribbean island two year ago but they will restart and operate five times a week to the capital city and will be served by new Airbus A330s.
The Spanish airline Iberia has announced that it will restart its suspended service between Madrid and Havana.
The airline stated that the flights to Cuba were suspended two years ago due to restructuring of the company but they will resume on 1st June, 2015.
The flights to Havana Airport (HAV) will operate five times a week on new Airbus A330s, giving passengers from all over the world regular access to the Caribbean island.
Luis Gallego, Iberia's chairman and CEO, explained:
"I am delighted to be able to announce that Iberia is returning to Cuba. When we suspended Madrid-Havana services two years ago we pledged to return as soon as we could make the route sustainable over time, and that moment has arrived."
"The changes made in Iberia in the past several months allow us not only to return to Cuba, but to operate new flights to new destinations in Latin America, such as Cali and Medellin, which will strengthen Iberia's leadership in the region."
Havana is the capital city of Cuba and it is rich in history and culture. The city boasts an array of tourist hotspots including the Malecon, a promenade that runs along the main streets of Havana and offers beautiful views of the bay; the Catedral de San Cristobal; the maritime museum, Castillo de la Real Fuerza; the Old Town, a UNESCO heritage site with restored buildings and the tourist square, Plaza de Armas.
Cuba is an island nation in the Caribbean Sea and it has become the third major tourist destination in the Caribbean over the past decade despite having no tourists from the United States due to the travel embargo.
In 2013, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. The recent announcement from US President Obama stating that Cuba travel restrictions will be eased for US residents means that the island is likely to see a significant increase in visitor arrivals in the very near future.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...