Mexican beach resort reopens after $10 million makeover
Luxury Mexican resort, Mahekal Beach, has opened its doors after a $10 million boho-chic makeover that includes 122 thatched bungalows set amid exotic landscaped gardens, as well as revamped restaurants and room service delivered via vintage bicycles.
Mahekal Beach Resort in Mexico's popular tourist town of Playa del Carmen has reopened following a $10 million makeover.
The extensive renovation project has transformed the hotel into a bohemian chic resort with 122 luxury thatched bungalows painted in bright hues with natural beachy interiors, as well as two restaurants offering traditional Mexican food and ocean-front dining.
Nestled between the dense Riviera Maya jungle and Playa del Carmen's largest stretch of pristine white sand beach, Mahekal Beach Resort maintains an air of Mexican authenticity and colour. Completely new amenities include two swimming pools, a seaside jacuzzi, Las Olas and Cocina restaurants and Boli's, Itzi and Las Olas bars.
The thatched bungalows are clustered together in two sections known as Caribe and Aventura and all of them are less than two-minute's walk from the hotel's private portion of sugar-sand beach, where guests can relax on plush loungers. Rustic stone pathways weave through lush exotic gardens hung with bright bougainvillea to each guest room, all of which come complete with wooden verandas and hammocks. A few bungalows also have their own private plunge pools. There are a range of room types from Garden View and Ocean View to Penthouses and Ocean Front accommodation just ten steps from the water's edge.
Mahekal's style revamp was inspired by GypSet Style, a book by Julia Chaplin, which celebrates bohemian gypsy interior design. Fabrics resembling the colourful designs of Italian high-end fashion house Missoni adorn the eclectic lobby, while funky bright orange ping-pong tables and cobalt blue billiard tables add bold accents to the main lobby bar and activity centre, known as Boli's. The bar's centrepiece is the Colour Condition artwork created using shredded plastic tablecloths.
The resort's restaurants offer everything from traditional Mexican and Latin American fare at Cocina, to al fresco poolside and oceanfront dining at Las Olas. A unique room service initiative at the hotel sees staff hand-deliver orders to guests lounging by the pool or on the beach via vintage bicycles with woven rattan baskets, in tune with the resort's new eco-friendly bohemian theme.
The beachfront resort is only a few steps away from the vibrant nightlife and local culture of Puerto del Carmen's famed Fifth Avenue or Quinta Avenida. This bustling pedestrian area is chockfull of shops, bars and multinational eateries. There's also plenty to do near to the town including popular excursions to the Mayan ruins at Tulum, Xcaret archaeological park and much more.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Whether looking for a relaxing retreat with your partner, or simply searching for some peace and intimacy by yourself, a...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...