Mexican beach resort reopens after $10 million makeover
Luxury Mexican resort, Mahekal Beach, has opened its doors after a $10 million boho-chic makeover that includes 122 thatched bungalows set amid exotic landscaped gardens, as well as revamped restaurants and room service delivered via vintage bicycles.
Mahekal Beach Resort in Mexico's popular tourist town of Playa del Carmen has reopened following a $10 million makeover.
The extensive renovation project has transformed the hotel into a bohemian chic resort with 122 luxury thatched bungalows painted in bright hues with natural beachy interiors, as well as two restaurants offering traditional Mexican food and ocean-front dining.
Nestled between the dense Riviera Maya jungle and Playa del Carmen's largest stretch of pristine white sand beach, Mahekal Beach Resort maintains an air of Mexican authenticity and colour. Completely new amenities include two swimming pools, a seaside jacuzzi, Las Olas and Cocina restaurants and Boli's, Itzi and Las Olas bars.
The thatched bungalows are clustered together in two sections known as Caribe and Aventura and all of them are less than two-minute's walk from the hotel's private portion of sugar-sand beach, where guests can relax on plush loungers. Rustic stone pathways weave through lush exotic gardens hung with bright bougainvillea to each guest room, all of which come complete with wooden verandas and hammocks. A few bungalows also have their own private plunge pools. There are a range of room types from Garden View and Ocean View to Penthouses and Ocean Front accommodation just ten steps from the water's edge.
Mahekal's style revamp was inspired by GypSet Style, a book by Julia Chaplin, which celebrates bohemian gypsy interior design. Fabrics resembling the colourful designs of Italian high-end fashion house Missoni adorn the eclectic lobby, while funky bright orange ping-pong tables and cobalt blue billiard tables add bold accents to the main lobby bar and activity centre, known as Boli's. The bar's centrepiece is the Colour Condition artwork created using shredded plastic tablecloths.
The resort's restaurants offer everything from traditional Mexican and Latin American fare at Cocina, to al fresco poolside and oceanfront dining at Las Olas. A unique room service initiative at the hotel sees staff hand-deliver orders to guests lounging by the pool or on the beach via vintage bicycles with woven rattan baskets, in tune with the resort's new eco-friendly bohemian theme.
The beachfront resort is only a few steps away from the vibrant nightlife and local culture of Puerto del Carmen's famed Fifth Avenue or Quinta Avenida. This bustling pedestrian area is chockfull of shops, bars and multinational eateries. There's also plenty to do near to the town including popular excursions to the Mayan ruins at Tulum, Xcaret archaeological park and much more.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Step into every scuba divers paradise during an 8-day holiday to the beautiful Mexican island of Cozumel, where...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...