Online travel market to leap by another 7 percent this year
Travellers are increasingly going online to book holidays and make travel arrangements and the trend is set to continue in 2015. According to a new report by travel industry research specialists Phocuswright, the digital travel market will grow a further 7 per cent before the year is out.
Online travel bookings in Europe are set to increase by 7% in 2015, continuing the rapid pace of expansion seen in recent years, according to travel industry research specialists Phocuswright.
In a new study published this week, Phocuswright said competition and innovation in the travel market have driven online bookings in Europe beyond the 100 billion Euro mark in 2013, despite the economic challenges the region has faced.
Phocuswright's European Online Travel Overview Tenth Edition takes a detailed look at the dynamic European travel market, providing market sizing and growth forecasts through to 2016, with in-depth analysis of six individual markets in France, Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia.
The market shift towards digital travel is likely to continue into 2016 and beyond, mimicking trends in similar industries. As of 2014, supplier web channels controlled 60% of the total online market. Online travel agencies on the other hand are pulling business away from traditional offline channels at a faster rate compared to supplier websites and apps.
Phocuswright’s research director Luke Bujarski, explained:
“How Europe's leisure and business travellers choose to shop and book their travel will continue to evolve toward digital channels, despite the nagging political and economic turmoil impacting the region,”
Online bookings expanded by 8% in 2013, while growth in the overall travel market slowed.
“There is still ample opportunity to shift market share between Europe's many travel intermediaries and suppliers.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...