Online travel market to leap by another 7 percent this year
Travellers are increasingly going online to book holidays and make travel arrangements and the trend is set to continue in 2015. According to a new report by travel industry research specialists Phocuswright, the digital travel market will grow a further 7 per cent before the year is out.
Online travel bookings in Europe are set to increase by 7% in 2015, continuing the rapid pace of expansion seen in recent years, according to travel industry research specialists Phocuswright.
In a new study published this week, Phocuswright said competition and innovation in the travel market have driven online bookings in Europe beyond the 100 billion Euro mark in 2013, despite the economic challenges the region has faced.
Phocuswright's European Online Travel Overview Tenth Edition takes a detailed look at the dynamic European travel market, providing market sizing and growth forecasts through to 2016, with in-depth analysis of six individual markets in France, Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia.
The market shift towards digital travel is likely to continue into 2016 and beyond, mimicking trends in similar industries. As of 2014, supplier web channels controlled 60% of the total online market. Online travel agencies on the other hand are pulling business away from traditional offline channels at a faster rate compared to supplier websites and apps.
Phocuswright’s research director Luke Bujarski, explained:
“How Europe's leisure and business travellers choose to shop and book their travel will continue to evolve toward digital channels, despite the nagging political and economic turmoil impacting the region,”
Online bookings expanded by 8% in 2013, while growth in the overall travel market slowed.
“There is still ample opportunity to shift market share between Europe's many travel intermediaries and suppliers.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...