Online travel market to leap by another 7 percent this year
Travellers are increasingly going online to book holidays and make travel arrangements and the trend is set to continue in 2015. According to a new report by travel industry research specialists Phocuswright, the digital travel market will grow a further 7 per cent before the year is out.
Online travel bookings in Europe are set to increase by 7% in 2015, continuing the rapid pace of expansion seen in recent years, according to travel industry research specialists Phocuswright.
In a new study published this week, Phocuswright said competition and innovation in the travel market have driven online bookings in Europe beyond the 100 billion Euro mark in 2013, despite the economic challenges the region has faced.
Phocuswright's European Online Travel Overview Tenth Edition takes a detailed look at the dynamic European travel market, providing market sizing and growth forecasts through to 2016, with in-depth analysis of six individual markets in France, Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia.
The market shift towards digital travel is likely to continue into 2016 and beyond, mimicking trends in similar industries. As of 2014, supplier web channels controlled 60% of the total online market. Online travel agencies on the other hand are pulling business away from traditional offline channels at a faster rate compared to supplier websites and apps.
Phocuswright’s research director Luke Bujarski, explained:
“How Europe's leisure and business travellers choose to shop and book their travel will continue to evolve toward digital channels, despite the nagging political and economic turmoil impacting the region,”
Online bookings expanded by 8% in 2013, while growth in the overall travel market slowed.
“There is still ample opportunity to shift market share between Europe's many travel intermediaries and suppliers.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Experience the exclusivity of Ras Al Khaimah from a luxury retreat at this stunning beachfront resort
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...