Online travel market to leap by another 7 percent this year
Travellers are increasingly going online to book holidays and make travel arrangements and the trend is set to continue in 2015. According to a new report by travel industry research specialists Phocuswright, the digital travel market will grow a further 7 per cent before the year is out.
Online travel bookings in Europe are set to increase by 7% in 2015, continuing the rapid pace of expansion seen in recent years, according to travel industry research specialists Phocuswright.
In a new study published this week, Phocuswright said competition and innovation in the travel market have driven online bookings in Europe beyond the 100 billion Euro mark in 2013, despite the economic challenges the region has faced.
Phocuswright's European Online Travel Overview Tenth Edition takes a detailed look at the dynamic European travel market, providing market sizing and growth forecasts through to 2016, with in-depth analysis of six individual markets in France, Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia.
The market shift towards digital travel is likely to continue into 2016 and beyond, mimicking trends in similar industries. As of 2014, supplier web channels controlled 60% of the total online market. Online travel agencies on the other hand are pulling business away from traditional offline channels at a faster rate compared to supplier websites and apps.
Phocuswright’s research director Luke Bujarski, explained:
“How Europe's leisure and business travellers choose to shop and book their travel will continue to evolve toward digital channels, despite the nagging political and economic turmoil impacting the region,”
Online bookings expanded by 8% in 2013, while growth in the overall travel market slowed.
“There is still ample opportunity to shift market share between Europe's many travel intermediaries and suppliers.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...