Online travel market to leap by another 7 percent this year
Travellers are increasingly going online to book holidays and make travel arrangements and the trend is set to continue in 2015. According to a new report by travel industry research specialists Phocuswright, the digital travel market will grow a further 7 per cent before the year is out.
Online travel bookings in Europe are set to increase by 7% in 2015, continuing the rapid pace of expansion seen in recent years, according to travel industry research specialists Phocuswright.
In a new study published this week, Phocuswright said competition and innovation in the travel market have driven online bookings in Europe beyond the 100 billion Euro mark in 2013, despite the economic challenges the region has faced.
Phocuswright's European Online Travel Overview Tenth Edition takes a detailed look at the dynamic European travel market, providing market sizing and growth forecasts through to 2016, with in-depth analysis of six individual markets in France, Germany, the UK, Italy, Spain and Scandinavia.
The market shift towards digital travel is likely to continue into 2016 and beyond, mimicking trends in similar industries. As of 2014, supplier web channels controlled 60% of the total online market. Online travel agencies on the other hand are pulling business away from traditional offline channels at a faster rate compared to supplier websites and apps.
Phocuswright’s research director Luke Bujarski, explained:
“How Europe's leisure and business travellers choose to shop and book their travel will continue to evolve toward digital channels, despite the nagging political and economic turmoil impacting the region,”
Online bookings expanded by 8% in 2013, while growth in the overall travel market slowed.
“There is still ample opportunity to shift market share between Europe's many travel intermediaries and suppliers.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...