Tourist camera lost in Varadero is rescued by Cuban diver
The photos and videos from a waterproof camera lost two years ago in Varadero's aquamarine waters were recently recovered and returned to its rightful owner after Ruben Urquiza, the Cuban diver who found it, finally had a chance to contact the person it belonged to through Facebook.
Canadian holidaymaker, Emily Demello, couldn’t believe it two years ago when, during a holiday in Cuba’s beach resort of Varadero, she had lost around 100 photos and videos along with her new shockproof, waterproof camera, which she wasn’t able to find after a wave knocked it out of her hand.
The incident happened when Vancouver student, Emily, and the two friends that had travelled with her to Cuba were taking snaps on the water. Sadly despite all the safety features of her shiny new camera, it was no match for the strength of the current.
“I was taking photos with my friends in the ocean maybe three days into the trip and I got hit by a big wave which knocked the camera out of my hand.”
‘We looked for the camera for about 20 minutes, walking around the area in the water and walking along the beach. As soon as it was gone the current must have taken it away, though.’
Yet, it wasn’t lost forever, as one year after the loss, professional scuba diver; Ruben Urquiza came across it on one of his dives off the Varadero coast. It wouldn’t be until another year after, however that Ruben would be able to return it, as he only recently gained access to the internet and finally managed to contact her.
Although the camera was badly weathered and understandably, no longer functional, the memory card inside was intact and Ruben was able to download all the photos and videos to his computer. It was only thanks to him scanning them all for clues and finally spotting a photograph of her plane ticket that there was hope for returning the camera contents to Emily.
After obtaining her details he managed to track her on Facebook and sent her a message with one of the photos attached to prove it wasn’t a scam. It read:
"Hi Emily, I am from Cuba, my name is Ruben. I know that you was in my country in 2012 because I am diver in Varadero and I found your camera in the beach, please accept me in your Facebook friends and I will send you your pictures! I am sorry my bad English, have a nice Sunday!"
Emily, who was at first puzzled then delighted to have recovered her old memories from that holiday in Varadero, said;
“I ran downstairs right away to tell my family what happened. I think it’s an amazing story – it really seems like it’s something out of a movie.
"There are people like Ruben, doing great things everywhere. It means a lot that he took the time to find me and send my pictures back to me. Nothing stays lost forever."
In this case a very happy ending for "lost and found" was achieved, and it's true, at least not everything stays lost forever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...