Tourist camera lost in Varadero is rescued by Cuban diver
The photos and videos from a waterproof camera lost two years ago in Varadero's aquamarine waters were recently recovered and returned to its rightful owner after Ruben Urquiza, the Cuban diver who found it, finally had a chance to contact the person it belonged to through Facebook.
Canadian holidaymaker, Emily Demello, couldn’t believe it two years ago when, during a holiday in Cuba’s beach resort of Varadero, she had lost around 100 photos and videos along with her new shockproof, waterproof camera, which she wasn’t able to find after a wave knocked it out of her hand.
The incident happened when Vancouver student, Emily, and the two friends that had travelled with her to Cuba were taking snaps on the water. Sadly despite all the safety features of her shiny new camera, it was no match for the strength of the current.
“I was taking photos with my friends in the ocean maybe three days into the trip and I got hit by a big wave which knocked the camera out of my hand.”
‘We looked for the camera for about 20 minutes, walking around the area in the water and walking along the beach. As soon as it was gone the current must have taken it away, though.’
Yet, it wasn’t lost forever, as one year after the loss, professional scuba diver; Ruben Urquiza came across it on one of his dives off the Varadero coast. It wouldn’t be until another year after, however that Ruben would be able to return it, as he only recently gained access to the internet and finally managed to contact her.
Although the camera was badly weathered and understandably, no longer functional, the memory card inside was intact and Ruben was able to download all the photos and videos to his computer. It was only thanks to him scanning them all for clues and finally spotting a photograph of her plane ticket that there was hope for returning the camera contents to Emily.
After obtaining her details he managed to track her on Facebook and sent her a message with one of the photos attached to prove it wasn’t a scam. It read:
"Hi Emily, I am from Cuba, my name is Ruben. I know that you was in my country in 2012 because I am diver in Varadero and I found your camera in the beach, please accept me in your Facebook friends and I will send you your pictures! I am sorry my bad English, have a nice Sunday!"
Emily, who was at first puzzled then delighted to have recovered her old memories from that holiday in Varadero, said;
“I ran downstairs right away to tell my family what happened. I think it’s an amazing story – it really seems like it’s something out of a movie.
"There are people like Ruben, doing great things everywhere. It means a lot that he took the time to find me and send my pictures back to me. Nothing stays lost forever."
In this case a very happy ending for "lost and found" was achieved, and it's true, at least not everything stays lost forever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...