Tourist camera lost in Varadero is rescued by Cuban diver
The photos and videos from a waterproof camera lost two years ago in Varadero's aquamarine waters were recently recovered and returned to its rightful owner after Ruben Urquiza, the Cuban diver who found it, finally had a chance to contact the person it belonged to through Facebook.
Canadian holidaymaker, Emily Demello, couldn’t believe it two years ago when, during a holiday in Cuba’s beach resort of Varadero, she had lost around 100 photos and videos along with her new shockproof, waterproof camera, which she wasn’t able to find after a wave knocked it out of her hand.
The incident happened when Vancouver student, Emily, and the two friends that had travelled with her to Cuba were taking snaps on the water. Sadly despite all the safety features of her shiny new camera, it was no match for the strength of the current.
“I was taking photos with my friends in the ocean maybe three days into the trip and I got hit by a big wave which knocked the camera out of my hand.”
‘We looked for the camera for about 20 minutes, walking around the area in the water and walking along the beach. As soon as it was gone the current must have taken it away, though.’
Yet, it wasn’t lost forever, as one year after the loss, professional scuba diver; Ruben Urquiza came across it on one of his dives off the Varadero coast. It wouldn’t be until another year after, however that Ruben would be able to return it, as he only recently gained access to the internet and finally managed to contact her.
Although the camera was badly weathered and understandably, no longer functional, the memory card inside was intact and Ruben was able to download all the photos and videos to his computer. It was only thanks to him scanning them all for clues and finally spotting a photograph of her plane ticket that there was hope for returning the camera contents to Emily.
After obtaining her details he managed to track her on Facebook and sent her a message with one of the photos attached to prove it wasn’t a scam. It read:
"Hi Emily, I am from Cuba, my name is Ruben. I know that you was in my country in 2012 because I am diver in Varadero and I found your camera in the beach, please accept me in your Facebook friends and I will send you your pictures! I am sorry my bad English, have a nice Sunday!"
Emily, who was at first puzzled then delighted to have recovered her old memories from that holiday in Varadero, said;
“I ran downstairs right away to tell my family what happened. I think it’s an amazing story – it really seems like it’s something out of a movie.
"There are people like Ruben, doing great things everywhere. It means a lot that he took the time to find me and send my pictures back to me. Nothing stays lost forever."
In this case a very happy ending for "lost and found" was achieved, and it's true, at least not everything stays lost forever.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Varadero Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...