Echoes revolutionises the traditional Hanoi tour experience
Echoes, a firm launched by Josh Kopecek, is well on its way to changing the concept of the typical holiday tour. Echoes recently held its second walking audio tour of Hanoi, commissioning Vietnamese artist Luong Hue Trinh to create a unique sound experience to act as the perfect backdrop for an unforgettable tour of Vietnam's capital.
At the end of November 2014, visitors to Vietnam’s Hanoi had the unique opportunity to take part in one of four Hanoi Soundwalk sessions. The Soundwalk concept, which has recently been re branded as Echoes, is a complete reinvention of the traditional tours of Hanoi and certainly has the potential to become a major event for travellers booking holidays in Hanoi.
Using headphones and a simple Internet enabled mobile phone with the echoes app downloaded, users on the Hanoi tour can enjoy a unique site specific soundtrack designed by Vietnamese artist Luong Hue Trinh. The soundtrack is however, best described as a sound map as the sounds are based on the user’s location during the tour.
Echoes’ unique soundwalk concept has been designed by Josh Kopecek holder of a doctoral degree in music and Mathias Rossignol- a doctorate in information technology. Vietnamese artist Luong Hue Trinh was commissioned by the Echoes team to create the walk for Hanoi. Trinh used the clank of bicycle trains and trams and traditional musical performances creating a sense of nostalgia that allowed for a truly authentic experience.
Ben Valentine of respected art and culture forum/blog Hyperallergic recently wrote a review of the Hanoi Soundwalk experience:
“Headphones are all too often a means of separating ourselves from our immediate surroundings. Yet for the 40 minutes I spent on Trinh’s tour, I felt in possession of a tool for invoking the local sounds that time had hidden. Trinh researched all the locations on the walk and dug up noises from their pasts, which she then reinterpreted”.
As Vietnam looks to increase the number of travellers booking Vietnam holidays each year and take full advantage of the ever growing popularity of key destinations like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City, unique experiences like the Hanoi Soundwalk tours provide an excellent opportunity to attract even more holidaymakers as well as to engage with local talent to develop the nations tourism product.
This was the second time the Hanoi Soundwalk tour has taken place this year with the first ever Soundwalk tours in Hanoi taking place in April 2014. Other destinations where Echoes has launched similar tours include Virginia (US), Oxford (UK), Valencia (Spain) and Avignon (France).
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Head to DaNang for blissful sea breezes and exhilarating water sports alongside lush National Parks and a look into the unique history of Vietnam
- Three UNESCO World heritage Sites in the surrounding area
- Free shuttle bus to historical Hoi An or buzzing Danang
- Beachfront resort with a backdrop of verdant mountains
Get under the skin of Vietnam with an adventurous tour taking in the classic sights as well as getting off the beaten track
- Overnight train to Sapa - hike through the hills and meet remote communities
- Overnight cruise down the Mekong River on a converted rice barge with all modern amenities
- Spend the night in Halong Bay and see the sun rise over the remarkable karst landscape (includes meals)
Experience the best of Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos on this once-in-a-lifetime adventure through Indochina
- Expert local guides in each country
- Breakfast included daily and three dinners
- Spend the night on Halong Bay on a traditional Junk boat with meals included
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Experience the beauty of southern Vietnam with its stunning landscapes, rural villages and fascinating history. This...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
Discover the beauty of a superb Sandy Beach Non Nuoc Resort Danang, located by the pristine stretch of beach and...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...