Changes to British Air Passenger Duty could boost Caribbean tourism
Changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD) next May could mean cheaper travel for families and an increase in visitors to the Caribbean according to Antigua and Barbuda tourism officials. The British government recently announced it was scrapping the tax for children under 16 and reducing APD on fares to the region.
Travel to the Caribbean could be cheaper from next May after the British government announced changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD).
The decision to remove APD for children has been welcomed by Caribbean tourism officials including Antigua and Barbuda’s minister for tourism, Asot Michael.
"It will reduce the costs for families travelling to Antigua and Barbuda on holiday and will boost tourism from the UK"
There will be no APD for children under the age of 12 travelling in economy class from 15 May 2015, and the tax will also be removed for passengers under 16 years old from May 2016. APD was originally introduced 20 years ago and the cost has risen every year for the last six years, and by up to 160% since its inception.
The Antiguan tourism minister pointed out that the banding of Caribbean countries with competitive destinations much further from London places the region at a disadvantage. He said that, along with other Caribbean tourism authorities, Antigua and Barbuda will continue to urge the British government to drop APD. Michael all said:
"It is in the interests of the British tourist industry as much as the tourism industry in the Caribbean for the APD to be abolished altogether since it adds a prohibitive cost to travellers who could be spending more on their holidays."
But more changes are on the horizon. In April 2015, the current four-tier APD system will be simplified into two bands, reducing APD on fares to the Caribbean to the same rate as to the USA.
President of the Antigua and Barbuda Airline Association, Bernard Ho, told the Antigua Observer that the changes will mean cheaper travel for families visiting the island:
“If you consider a family of four paying about 80 pounds, suddenly you no longer have to pay for the two children and you are going to be paying 40 pounds, which is automatically a good saving on a holiday.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...