Changes to British Air Passenger Duty could boost Caribbean tourism
Changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD) next May could mean cheaper travel for families and an increase in visitors to the Caribbean according to Antigua and Barbuda tourism officials. The British government recently announced it was scrapping the tax for children under 16 and reducing APD on fares to the region.
Travel to the Caribbean could be cheaper from next May after the British government announced changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD).
The decision to remove APD for children has been welcomed by Caribbean tourism officials including Antigua and Barbuda’s minister for tourism, Asot Michael.
"It will reduce the costs for families travelling to Antigua and Barbuda on holiday and will boost tourism from the UK"
There will be no APD for children under the age of 12 travelling in economy class from 15 May 2015, and the tax will also be removed for passengers under 16 years old from May 2016. APD was originally introduced 20 years ago and the cost has risen every year for the last six years, and by up to 160% since its inception.
The Antiguan tourism minister pointed out that the banding of Caribbean countries with competitive destinations much further from London places the region at a disadvantage. He said that, along with other Caribbean tourism authorities, Antigua and Barbuda will continue to urge the British government to drop APD. Michael all said:
"It is in the interests of the British tourist industry as much as the tourism industry in the Caribbean for the APD to be abolished altogether since it adds a prohibitive cost to travellers who could be spending more on their holidays."
But more changes are on the horizon. In April 2015, the current four-tier APD system will be simplified into two bands, reducing APD on fares to the Caribbean to the same rate as to the USA.
President of the Antigua and Barbuda Airline Association, Bernard Ho, told the Antigua Observer that the changes will mean cheaper travel for families visiting the island:
“If you consider a family of four paying about 80 pounds, suddenly you no longer have to pay for the two children and you are going to be paying 40 pounds, which is automatically a good saving on a holiday.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...