Changes to British Air Passenger Duty could boost Caribbean tourism
Changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD) next May could mean cheaper travel for families and an increase in visitors to the Caribbean according to Antigua and Barbuda tourism officials. The British government recently announced it was scrapping the tax for children under 16 and reducing APD on fares to the region.
Travel to the Caribbean could be cheaper from next May after the British government announced changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD).
The decision to remove APD for children has been welcomed by Caribbean tourism officials including Antigua and Barbuda’s minister for tourism, Asot Michael.
"It will reduce the costs for families travelling to Antigua and Barbuda on holiday and will boost tourism from the UK"
There will be no APD for children under the age of 12 travelling in economy class from 15 May 2015, and the tax will also be removed for passengers under 16 years old from May 2016. APD was originally introduced 20 years ago and the cost has risen every year for the last six years, and by up to 160% since its inception.
The Antiguan tourism minister pointed out that the banding of Caribbean countries with competitive destinations much further from London places the region at a disadvantage. He said that, along with other Caribbean tourism authorities, Antigua and Barbuda will continue to urge the British government to drop APD. Michael all said:
"It is in the interests of the British tourist industry as much as the tourism industry in the Caribbean for the APD to be abolished altogether since it adds a prohibitive cost to travellers who could be spending more on their holidays."
But more changes are on the horizon. In April 2015, the current four-tier APD system will be simplified into two bands, reducing APD on fares to the Caribbean to the same rate as to the USA.
President of the Antigua and Barbuda Airline Association, Bernard Ho, told the Antigua Observer that the changes will mean cheaper travel for families visiting the island:
“If you consider a family of four paying about 80 pounds, suddenly you no longer have to pay for the two children and you are going to be paying 40 pounds, which is automatically a good saving on a holiday.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...