Changes to British Air Passenger Duty could boost Caribbean tourism
Changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD) next May could mean cheaper travel for families and an increase in visitors to the Caribbean according to Antigua and Barbuda tourism officials. The British government recently announced it was scrapping the tax for children under 16 and reducing APD on fares to the region.
Travel to the Caribbean could be cheaper from next May after the British government announced changes to the controversial British Air Passenger Duty (APD).
The decision to remove APD for children has been welcomed by Caribbean tourism officials including Antigua and Barbuda’s minister for tourism, Asot Michael.
"It will reduce the costs for families travelling to Antigua and Barbuda on holiday and will boost tourism from the UK"
There will be no APD for children under the age of 12 travelling in economy class from 15 May 2015, and the tax will also be removed for passengers under 16 years old from May 2016. APD was originally introduced 20 years ago and the cost has risen every year for the last six years, and by up to 160% since its inception.
The Antiguan tourism minister pointed out that the banding of Caribbean countries with competitive destinations much further from London places the region at a disadvantage. He said that, along with other Caribbean tourism authorities, Antigua and Barbuda will continue to urge the British government to drop APD. Michael all said:
"It is in the interests of the British tourist industry as much as the tourism industry in the Caribbean for the APD to be abolished altogether since it adds a prohibitive cost to travellers who could be spending more on their holidays."
But more changes are on the horizon. In April 2015, the current four-tier APD system will be simplified into two bands, reducing APD on fares to the Caribbean to the same rate as to the USA.
President of the Antigua and Barbuda Airline Association, Bernard Ho, told the Antigua Observer that the changes will mean cheaper travel for families visiting the island:
“If you consider a family of four paying about 80 pounds, suddenly you no longer have to pay for the two children and you are going to be paying 40 pounds, which is automatically a good saving on a holiday.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...