Havana makes it as one of the Seven Wonders - Cities of the World
Cuba's iconic capital city of Havana has been declared one of the New7Wonders Cities of the World after worldwide voters cast their decision to include the emblematic Caribbean city in the top seven. Joining Havana were Doha, Kuala Lumpur, La Paz, Beirut, Durban and Vigan.
Havana has been chosen as one of the New 7 Wonders Cities of the World as selected by all the worldwide voters who participated in Bernard Weber’s New7Wonders Cities campaign.
The Cuban capital was chosen alongside Beirut, Doha, Durban, Kuala Lumpur, La Paz and Vigan as one of two countries that made the list in the American continent.
The Founder-President of New7Wonders said of the final line-up:
"I would like to thank everyone who has helped promote the New7Wonders Cities campaign since its inception in 2011. We began with more than 1,200 nominees from 220 different countries and here we have 7 that represent the global diversity of urban society.
For the first time in human history, more than half of our planet’s population lives in cities and this election emphasises the dramatically challenging character of our changing world."
He also took the time to thank the New7Wonders Cities Panel of Experts, which advised on the choosing of the 28 Official Finalist Candidates in October 2013, whilst also congratulating the voters who narrowed the selection down to 7 through the subsequent elimination phases.
To announce the winners he took to publishing a video on the website where most the official voting took place, although many offline votes through post were also made from all over the world.
On the video, which was shot in Dubai, Mr Weber listed all winning cities in alphabetical order and ended by saying;
“Congratulations. You have the challenges of the future.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...