Sony customers scuba dive down to underwater store in Dubai
Scuba diving technology fans were in for a treat this weekend as the Xperia Aquatech Store opened in Dubai, four metres underwater. Sony launched the store on Friday 5th December to promote waterproof devices and it was open for just three days. The shop is only accessible to VIPs, winners of competitions, and the media - and they have to scuba dive to reach it.
Sony launched an unusual marketing gimmick this weekend with the opening of an underwater store in Dubai to promote its waterproof devices
The Xperia Aquatech Store could only be accessed by scuba diving four metres down to the unique shop and it was open for just three days.
The underwater store opened on Friday 5th December and it was only accessible to winners of competitions, VIPs and the media, all of whom had to don wetsuits and receive scuba diving training beforehand in a swimming pool.
Customers were escorted down to the underwater shop by professional diving instructors where they could then browse the number of waterproof Sony Xperia devices that were demoed by a Sony rep.
The reps also provided waterproof cases for scuba diving customers who owned an Xperia Z3 phone, because the devices are only waterproof up to 1.5 meters for fresh water.
Dubai is becoming one of the Middle East's most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Dubai, Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, Abu Dhabi, and Fujairah.
Dubai is also scheduled to get a new underwater theme park that will be located in the shallow waters off the new World Islands development. The attraction will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkelers.
The five-acre site, named Pearl of Dubai, will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films and it will be created to look like a lost ancient city.
While scuba diving in the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai , the only hotel with a restaurant with 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...