Sony customers scuba dive down to underwater store in Dubai
Scuba diving technology fans were in for a treat this weekend as the Xperia Aquatech Store opened in Dubai, four metres underwater. Sony launched the store on Friday 5th December to promote waterproof devices and it was open for just three days. The shop is only accessible to VIPs, winners of competitions, and the media - and they have to scuba dive to reach it.
Sony launched an unusual marketing gimmick this weekend with the opening of an underwater store in Dubai to promote its waterproof devices
The Xperia Aquatech Store could only be accessed by scuba diving four metres down to the unique shop and it was open for just three days.
The underwater store opened on Friday 5th December and it was only accessible to winners of competitions, VIPs and the media, all of whom had to don wetsuits and receive scuba diving training beforehand in a swimming pool.
Customers were escorted down to the underwater shop by professional diving instructors where they could then browse the number of waterproof Sony Xperia devices that were demoed by a Sony rep.
The reps also provided waterproof cases for scuba diving customers who owned an Xperia Z3 phone, because the devices are only waterproof up to 1.5 meters for fresh water.
Dubai is becoming one of the Middle East's most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Dubai, Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, Abu Dhabi, and Fujairah.
Dubai is also scheduled to get a new underwater theme park that will be located in the shallow waters off the new World Islands development. The attraction will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkelers.
The five-acre site, named Pearl of Dubai, will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films and it will be created to look like a lost ancient city.
While scuba diving in the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
For an affordable luxury holiday on Dubai's iconic The Palm, head for Sofitel and take the whole family with you, they'll love it
- Boasting a Roof Top Swimming Pool
- Free high-speed internet and wifi
- Located by the famous Jumeirah Marina and close to shops, restaurants, bars and the Emirates Shopping Mall
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Holiday Inn Dubai- Al Barsha is situated on Sheikh Zayed Road next to the Mall of Emirates and only a short distance to...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...