Sony customers scuba dive down to underwater store in Dubai
Scuba diving technology fans were in for a treat this weekend as the Xperia Aquatech Store opened in Dubai, four metres underwater. Sony launched the store on Friday 5th December to promote waterproof devices and it was open for just three days. The shop is only accessible to VIPs, winners of competitions, and the media - and they have to scuba dive to reach it.
Sony launched an unusual marketing gimmick this weekend with the opening of an underwater store in Dubai to promote its waterproof devices
The Xperia Aquatech Store could only be accessed by scuba diving four metres down to the unique shop and it was open for just three days.
The underwater store opened on Friday 5th December and it was only accessible to winners of competitions, VIPs and the media, all of whom had to don wetsuits and receive scuba diving training beforehand in a swimming pool.
Customers were escorted down to the underwater shop by professional diving instructors where they could then browse the number of waterproof Sony Xperia devices that were demoed by a Sony rep.
The reps also provided waterproof cases for scuba diving customers who owned an Xperia Z3 phone, because the devices are only waterproof up to 1.5 meters for fresh water.
Dubai is becoming one of the Middle East's most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Dubai, Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, Abu Dhabi, and Fujairah.
Dubai is also scheduled to get a new underwater theme park that will be located in the shallow waters off the new World Islands development. The attraction will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkelers.
The five-acre site, named Pearl of Dubai, will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films and it will be created to look like a lost ancient city.
While scuba diving in the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Immerse yourself in Ottoman-style opulence in the famous Palm Jumeirah during your stay at Jumeirah Zabeel Saray
Perfection is synonymous with the Zabeel Saray on Dubai's Palm Island, where you will find that the decadence of the Ottoman Empire has been perfectly recaptured
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Free upgrade to half board on selected dates and two children stay free when sharing with parents
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
Dubai has emerged as a top tourist destination for travellers across the globe. The city of Dubai in UAE reflects the...