Sony customers scuba dive down to underwater store in Dubai
Scuba diving technology fans were in for a treat this weekend as the Xperia Aquatech Store opened in Dubai, four metres underwater. Sony launched the store on Friday 5th December to promote waterproof devices and it was open for just three days. The shop is only accessible to VIPs, winners of competitions, and the media - and they have to scuba dive to reach it.
Sony launched an unusual marketing gimmick this weekend with the opening of an underwater store in Dubai to promote its waterproof devices
The Xperia Aquatech Store could only be accessed by scuba diving four metres down to the unique shop and it was open for just three days.
The underwater store opened on Friday 5th December and it was only accessible to winners of competitions, VIPs and the media, all of whom had to don wetsuits and receive scuba diving training beforehand in a swimming pool.
Customers were escorted down to the underwater shop by professional diving instructors where they could then browse the number of waterproof Sony Xperia devices that were demoed by a Sony rep.
The reps also provided waterproof cases for scuba diving customers who owned an Xperia Z3 phone, because the devices are only waterproof up to 1.5 meters for fresh water.
Dubai is becoming one of the Middle East's most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Dubai, Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, Abu Dhabi, and Fujairah.
Dubai is also scheduled to get a new underwater theme park that will be located in the shallow waters off the new World Islands development. The attraction will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkelers.
The five-acre site, named Pearl of Dubai, will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films and it will be created to look like a lost ancient city.
While scuba diving in the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Free Half Board
Take in the sights of the Golden Triangle tour where you will feel transported back in time then head for Dubai the world's most futuristic destination
- Complete your stay with a short break in luxurious Dubai
- Enjoy a horse carriage ride while visiting the Taj Mahal
- Experience a traditional Rajasthani dinner with a local family
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
India is one of the most exciting and rewarding travel destination in the world. From the colourful and vibrant cities...
Enjoy a stunning view on the east coast of Mauritius. This 4-star resort combines natural beauty and contemporary...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...