Sony customers scuba dive down to underwater store in Dubai
Scuba diving technology fans were in for a treat this weekend as the Xperia Aquatech Store opened in Dubai, four metres underwater. Sony launched the store on Friday 5th December to promote waterproof devices and it was open for just three days. The shop is only accessible to VIPs, winners of competitions, and the media - and they have to scuba dive to reach it.
Sony launched an unusual marketing gimmick this weekend with the opening of an underwater store in Dubai to promote its waterproof devices
The Xperia Aquatech Store could only be accessed by scuba diving four metres down to the unique shop and it was open for just three days.
The underwater store opened on Friday 5th December and it was only accessible to winners of competitions, VIPs and the media, all of whom had to don wetsuits and receive scuba diving training beforehand in a swimming pool.
Customers were escorted down to the underwater shop by professional diving instructors where they could then browse the number of waterproof Sony Xperia devices that were demoed by a Sony rep.
The reps also provided waterproof cases for scuba diving customers who owned an Xperia Z3 phone, because the devices are only waterproof up to 1.5 meters for fresh water.
Dubai is becoming one of the Middle East's most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Dubai, Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, Abu Dhabi, and Fujairah.
Dubai is also scheduled to get a new underwater theme park that will be located in the shallow waters off the new World Islands development. The attraction will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkelers.
The five-acre site, named Pearl of Dubai, will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" films and it will be created to look like a lost ancient city.
While scuba diving in the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Indulge in a shopping spree in Dubi or hop on the metro to Jumeirah Beach and soak up the sun .
- Free shuttle service to Jumeirah Beach
- Complimentary wireless internet access is available in public areas
- Free shuttle to Emirates shopping malls
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...