The first Broadway show in 50 years comes to Cuba with 'Rent'
Cubans are in for a treat as the dates for the Broadway show Rent have been announced in Havana. After more than five decades of a total ban on any type of American production being staged in the communist island, the government has finally given the green light for this project to go ahead and performances will kick-start on 24th December at the city's centric Bertold Brecht theatre in the trendy and Bohemian Vedado neighbourhood.
For the first time in over 50 years, Cuba is ready to once again welcome a Broadway show with open arms, one that will be staged for three months starting on Christmas Eve.
After years of political differences, it seems the U.S. and the communist Caribbean island have finally found a common ground in the arts. After trying for several years, The Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment group were finally granted permission to stage a musical in the island.
There was a time when any production from the U.S. would have been completely banned in Cuba, ever since the start of Fidel Castro’s revolution in the late 50s. So this achievement marks a “paramount step” for musical theatre in the island, as described by The Cuban National Council of Performing Arts.
Made possible thanks to the island’s Ministry of Culture, which, according to Bob Nederlander Jr, will also be covering part of the productions costs, the show will be performed in Spanish and a cast of fifteen Cuban actors will act in it.
Robert Nederlander, the founder of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment explains;
"We wanted to bring a Broadway show in a way that was authentic and allowed Cuban actors to perform it in their own language,"
"We were looking for a contemporary story, which would resonate with a younger Cuban audience.
Led by Cuban-American director Andy Senor Jr, who himself debuted as Angel in Broadway’s original show; the Pulitzer prize winner and Tony award-winning production is about a group of young struggling artists living in New York, a show loosely based on Puccini's 1896 opera, La Bohème.
The venue chosen as the stage for the shows will be the Bertold Brecht theatre in Havana’s leafy and trendy neighbourhood of Vedado, already a popular hotspot for many young and artsy Cubans.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...