The first Broadway show in 50 years comes to Cuba with 'Rent'
Cubans are in for a treat as the dates for the Broadway show Rent have been announced in Havana. After more than five decades of a total ban on any type of American production being staged in the communist island, the government has finally given the green light for this project to go ahead and performances will kick-start on 24th December at the city's centric Bertold Brecht theatre in the trendy and Bohemian Vedado neighbourhood.
For the first time in over 50 years, Cuba is ready to once again welcome a Broadway show with open arms, one that will be staged for three months starting on Christmas Eve.
After years of political differences, it seems the U.S. and the communist Caribbean island have finally found a common ground in the arts. After trying for several years, The Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment group were finally granted permission to stage a musical in the island.
There was a time when any production from the U.S. would have been completely banned in Cuba, ever since the start of Fidel Castro’s revolution in the late 50s. So this achievement marks a “paramount step” for musical theatre in the island, as described by The Cuban National Council of Performing Arts.
Made possible thanks to the island’s Ministry of Culture, which, according to Bob Nederlander Jr, will also be covering part of the productions costs, the show will be performed in Spanish and a cast of fifteen Cuban actors will act in it.
Robert Nederlander, the founder of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment explains;
"We wanted to bring a Broadway show in a way that was authentic and allowed Cuban actors to perform it in their own language,"
"We were looking for a contemporary story, which would resonate with a younger Cuban audience.
Led by Cuban-American director Andy Senor Jr, who himself debuted as Angel in Broadway’s original show; the Pulitzer prize winner and Tony award-winning production is about a group of young struggling artists living in New York, a show loosely based on Puccini's 1896 opera, La Bohème.
The venue chosen as the stage for the shows will be the Bertold Brecht theatre in Havana’s leafy and trendy neighbourhood of Vedado, already a popular hotspot for many young and artsy Cubans.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...