The first Broadway show in 50 years comes to Cuba with 'Rent'
Cubans are in for a treat as the dates for the Broadway show Rent have been announced in Havana. After more than five decades of a total ban on any type of American production being staged in the communist island, the government has finally given the green light for this project to go ahead and performances will kick-start on 24th December at the city's centric Bertold Brecht theatre in the trendy and Bohemian Vedado neighbourhood.
For the first time in over 50 years, Cuba is ready to once again welcome a Broadway show with open arms, one that will be staged for three months starting on Christmas Eve.
After years of political differences, it seems the U.S. and the communist Caribbean island have finally found a common ground in the arts. After trying for several years, The Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment group were finally granted permission to stage a musical in the island.
There was a time when any production from the U.S. would have been completely banned in Cuba, ever since the start of Fidel Castro’s revolution in the late 50s. So this achievement marks a “paramount step” for musical theatre in the island, as described by The Cuban National Council of Performing Arts.
Made possible thanks to the island’s Ministry of Culture, which, according to Bob Nederlander Jr, will also be covering part of the productions costs, the show will be performed in Spanish and a cast of fifteen Cuban actors will act in it.
Robert Nederlander, the founder of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment explains;
"We wanted to bring a Broadway show in a way that was authentic and allowed Cuban actors to perform it in their own language,"
"We were looking for a contemporary story, which would resonate with a younger Cuban audience.
Led by Cuban-American director Andy Senor Jr, who himself debuted as Angel in Broadway’s original show; the Pulitzer prize winner and Tony award-winning production is about a group of young struggling artists living in New York, a show loosely based on Puccini's 1896 opera, La Bohème.
The venue chosen as the stage for the shows will be the Bertold Brecht theatre in Havana’s leafy and trendy neighbourhood of Vedado, already a popular hotspot for many young and artsy Cubans.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...