The first Broadway show in 50 years comes to Cuba with 'Rent'
Cubans are in for a treat as the dates for the Broadway show Rent have been announced in Havana. After more than five decades of a total ban on any type of American production being staged in the communist island, the government has finally given the green light for this project to go ahead and performances will kick-start on 24th December at the city's centric Bertold Brecht theatre in the trendy and Bohemian Vedado neighbourhood.
For the first time in over 50 years, Cuba is ready to once again welcome a Broadway show with open arms, one that will be staged for three months starting on Christmas Eve.
After years of political differences, it seems the U.S. and the communist Caribbean island have finally found a common ground in the arts. After trying for several years, The Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment group were finally granted permission to stage a musical in the island.
There was a time when any production from the U.S. would have been completely banned in Cuba, ever since the start of Fidel Castro’s revolution in the late 50s. So this achievement marks a “paramount step” for musical theatre in the island, as described by The Cuban National Council of Performing Arts.
Made possible thanks to the island’s Ministry of Culture, which, according to Bob Nederlander Jr, will also be covering part of the productions costs, the show will be performed in Spanish and a cast of fifteen Cuban actors will act in it.
Robert Nederlander, the founder of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment explains;
"We wanted to bring a Broadway show in a way that was authentic and allowed Cuban actors to perform it in their own language,"
"We were looking for a contemporary story, which would resonate with a younger Cuban audience.
Led by Cuban-American director Andy Senor Jr, who himself debuted as Angel in Broadway’s original show; the Pulitzer prize winner and Tony award-winning production is about a group of young struggling artists living in New York, a show loosely based on Puccini's 1896 opera, La Bohème.
The venue chosen as the stage for the shows will be the Bertold Brecht theatre in Havana’s leafy and trendy neighbourhood of Vedado, already a popular hotspot for many young and artsy Cubans.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
This all-inclusive resort plays host to one of the finest white sandy beaches in the world. The luscious coral reef is...