The first Broadway show in 50 years comes to Cuba with 'Rent'
Cubans are in for a treat as the dates for the Broadway show Rent have been announced in Havana. After more than five decades of a total ban on any type of American production being staged in the communist island, the government has finally given the green light for this project to go ahead and performances will kick-start on 24th December at the city's centric Bertold Brecht theatre in the trendy and Bohemian Vedado neighbourhood.
For the first time in over 50 years, Cuba is ready to once again welcome a Broadway show with open arms, one that will be staged for three months starting on Christmas Eve.
After years of political differences, it seems the U.S. and the communist Caribbean island have finally found a common ground in the arts. After trying for several years, The Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment group were finally granted permission to stage a musical in the island.
There was a time when any production from the U.S. would have been completely banned in Cuba, ever since the start of Fidel Castro’s revolution in the late 50s. So this achievement marks a “paramount step” for musical theatre in the island, as described by The Cuban National Council of Performing Arts.
Made possible thanks to the island’s Ministry of Culture, which, according to Bob Nederlander Jr, will also be covering part of the productions costs, the show will be performed in Spanish and a cast of fifteen Cuban actors will act in it.
Robert Nederlander, the founder of Nederlander Worldwide Entertainment explains;
"We wanted to bring a Broadway show in a way that was authentic and allowed Cuban actors to perform it in their own language,"
"We were looking for a contemporary story, which would resonate with a younger Cuban audience.
Led by Cuban-American director Andy Senor Jr, who himself debuted as Angel in Broadway’s original show; the Pulitzer prize winner and Tony award-winning production is about a group of young struggling artists living in New York, a show loosely based on Puccini's 1896 opera, La Bohème.
The venue chosen as the stage for the shows will be the Bertold Brecht theatre in Havana’s leafy and trendy neighbourhood of Vedado, already a popular hotspot for many young and artsy Cubans.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...