Cuba is ready for the high season, says Minister of Tourism
As Cuba gears up to welcome the high season, the island's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, has confirmed that the country is ready for its visitors. The minister said that hotels are ready to welcome foreign travellers as they begin to arrive to the island in high numbers to explore its historic cities and relax on its white sand beaches.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism has announced that the country is ready for visitors as the high tourist season approaches.
Manuel Marrero Cruz said that hotels in Cuba have undergone a rigorous enlistment process to ensure visitors receive a friendly and traditional welcome to help them create memorable experiences during their stays in the island over the next five months.
The minister said that there will be more than 61,000 rooms in hotels, beachfront resorts and apartments available to tourists throughout the island’s cities, nature areas and coastal regions. Cruz added that Cuba is also anticipating an increase in visitors from Russia this winter season.
Cuba is a Caribbean island nation located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. It boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, virgin cays, an array of historic towns and vibrant cities, and ancient many ruins and sites.
The main tourists destinations on the island are the vibrant capital of Havana with its decaying historic buildings, lively bars, and Cuban charm; the coastal resort of Varadero with more than 20 kilometres of sandy beaches and luxury beachfront hotels; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; the Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling; and Holguin in eastern Cuba which is known as the City of Parks and the landing place of Christopher Columbus.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. This year, the tourism authorities are expecting to receive more than three million tourists by the end of December, with an increase in visitors from the United States.
Cuba travel for American residents has been prohibited for more than 50 years under the ongoing embargo, but in 2011, U.S President Obama eased restrictions for travellers who visit the island for religious, academic, educational and cultural purposes, or “people to people exchanges”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...