Cuba is ready for the high season, says Minister of Tourism
As Cuba gears up to welcome the high season, the island's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, has confirmed that the country is ready for its visitors. The minister said that hotels are ready to welcome foreign travellers as they begin to arrive to the island in high numbers to explore its historic cities and relax on its white sand beaches.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism has announced that the country is ready for visitors as the high tourist season approaches.
Manuel Marrero Cruz said that hotels in Cuba have undergone a rigorous enlistment process to ensure visitors receive a friendly and traditional welcome to help them create memorable experiences during their stays in the island over the next five months.
The minister said that there will be more than 61,000 rooms in hotels, beachfront resorts and apartments available to tourists throughout the island’s cities, nature areas and coastal regions. Cruz added that Cuba is also anticipating an increase in visitors from Russia this winter season.
Cuba is a Caribbean island nation located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. It boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, virgin cays, an array of historic towns and vibrant cities, and ancient many ruins and sites.
The main tourists destinations on the island are the vibrant capital of Havana with its decaying historic buildings, lively bars, and Cuban charm; the coastal resort of Varadero with more than 20 kilometres of sandy beaches and luxury beachfront hotels; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; the Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling; and Holguin in eastern Cuba which is known as the City of Parks and the landing place of Christopher Columbus.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. This year, the tourism authorities are expecting to receive more than three million tourists by the end of December, with an increase in visitors from the United States.
Cuba travel for American residents has been prohibited for more than 50 years under the ongoing embargo, but in 2011, U.S President Obama eased restrictions for travellers who visit the island for religious, academic, educational and cultural purposes, or “people to people exchanges”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...