Cuba is ready for the high season, says Minister of Tourism
As Cuba gears up to welcome the high season, the island's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, has confirmed that the country is ready for its visitors. The minister said that hotels are ready to welcome foreign travellers as they begin to arrive to the island in high numbers to explore its historic cities and relax on its white sand beaches.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism has announced that the country is ready for visitors as the high tourist season approaches.
Manuel Marrero Cruz said that hotels in Cuba have undergone a rigorous enlistment process to ensure visitors receive a friendly and traditional welcome to help them create memorable experiences during their stays in the island over the next five months.
The minister said that there will be more than 61,000 rooms in hotels, beachfront resorts and apartments available to tourists throughout the island’s cities, nature areas and coastal regions. Cruz added that Cuba is also anticipating an increase in visitors from Russia this winter season.
Cuba is a Caribbean island nation located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. It boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, virgin cays, an array of historic towns and vibrant cities, and ancient many ruins and sites.
The main tourists destinations on the island are the vibrant capital of Havana with its decaying historic buildings, lively bars, and Cuban charm; the coastal resort of Varadero with more than 20 kilometres of sandy beaches and luxury beachfront hotels; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; the Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling; and Holguin in eastern Cuba which is known as the City of Parks and the landing place of Christopher Columbus.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. This year, the tourism authorities are expecting to receive more than three million tourists by the end of December, with an increase in visitors from the United States.
Cuba travel for American residents has been prohibited for more than 50 years under the ongoing embargo, but in 2011, U.S President Obama eased restrictions for travellers who visit the island for religious, academic, educational and cultural purposes, or “people to people exchanges”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 25th April 2017
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...