Cuba is ready for the high season, says Minister of Tourism
As Cuba gears up to welcome the high season, the island's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero Cruz, has confirmed that the country is ready for its visitors. The minister said that hotels are ready to welcome foreign travellers as they begin to arrive to the island in high numbers to explore its historic cities and relax on its white sand beaches.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism has announced that the country is ready for visitors as the high tourist season approaches.
Manuel Marrero Cruz said that hotels in Cuba have undergone a rigorous enlistment process to ensure visitors receive a friendly and traditional welcome to help them create memorable experiences during their stays in the island over the next five months.
The minister said that there will be more than 61,000 rooms in hotels, beachfront resorts and apartments available to tourists throughout the island’s cities, nature areas and coastal regions. Cruz added that Cuba is also anticipating an increase in visitors from Russia this winter season.
Cuba is a Caribbean island nation located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico. It boasts stunning natural landscapes including miles of white sand pristine beaches, the second largest coral reef in the world, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, 236 protected areas, virgin cays, an array of historic towns and vibrant cities, and ancient many ruins and sites.
The main tourists destinations on the island are the vibrant capital of Havana with its decaying historic buildings, lively bars, and Cuban charm; the coastal resort of Varadero with more than 20 kilometres of sandy beaches and luxury beachfront hotels; Villa Clara that boasts a northern coast dotted with an array of cays with white sand beaches, coral reefs and thriving nature parks; the Jardines del Rey, a popular spot for scuba diving and snorkelling; and Holguin in eastern Cuba which is known as the City of Parks and the landing place of Christopher Columbus.
Last year, more than two million holidaymakers visited Cuba with the majority of visitors originating from Canada and Europe. This year, the tourism authorities are expecting to receive more than three million tourists by the end of December, with an increase in visitors from the United States.
Cuba travel for American residents has been prohibited for more than 50 years under the ongoing embargo, but in 2011, U.S President Obama eased restrictions for travellers who visit the island for religious, academic, educational and cultural purposes, or “people to people exchanges”.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th June 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...