Cuba set to welcome record number of travellers this winter
With the winter period now underway, Cuba is preparing for its peak tourism period. The Caribbean island's tourism ministry has put steps in place including securing more direct flights to Cuba from key source markets, attracting more cruise liners and improvements to the hotels in Cuba.
Cuba looks to be on track to surpass the number of foreign visitors arriving on the island in 2014 with its busiest season of the year, the winter months of November- April, now underway. While many of the world’s most attractive holiday destinations have been struggling with the fallout of the global economic crisis, Cuba has bucked the trend. According to recent statics, with 2071533 visitors, Cuba has achieved a near 4 per cent increase in the number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba in the January to August 2014 months when compared to same period last year.
The Caribbean island is now prepared to take full advantage of the peak season with Cuba’s Tourism Ministry carrying out a series of programs to ensure that Cuba’s tourism sector is able to realize its full potential. Some of the Tourism Ministry’s initiatives include the opening up of new air routes between Cuba and key source markets such as Canada, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Germany, Colombia, and Costa Rica.
In addition to securing new direct flights to Cuba, local tourism officials have also placed emphasis on attracting more cruise liners. Some of the cruise ships scheduled to visit Cuba this winter include, Cuba Cruise from Canada, Germany’s Star Clipper and Hamburg, Thomson Dream and Balmoral from the UK and the US’ Panorama and Semester at Sea.
With the expected peak in arrivals this winter, several Cuba hotels have invested in improving their facilities. Director of Cayo Largo Tourism Company, Moises Garcia, recently announced that hotels in the resort island off Cuba were being revamped and well as improvements to the surrounding infrastructure including access roads, the work undertaken in the area forms part of an investment plan aimed at achieving an 88 per cent occupancy rate.
Cuba welcomed over 2.8 million holidaymakers in 2013 with Canada its largest source market accounting for over one million arrivals that year. Other key markets for Cuba include the UK, France and Italy. In 2013 there was also a notable increase in the number of people from Argentina, Mexico, Spain Russia and Venezuela who chose to take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...