Cuba set to welcome record number of travellers this winter
With the winter period now underway, Cuba is preparing for its peak tourism period. The Caribbean island's tourism ministry has put steps in place including securing more direct flights to Cuba from key source markets, attracting more cruise liners and improvements to the hotels in Cuba.
Cuba looks to be on track to surpass the number of foreign visitors arriving on the island in 2014 with its busiest season of the year, the winter months of November- April, now underway. While many of the world’s most attractive holiday destinations have been struggling with the fallout of the global economic crisis, Cuba has bucked the trend. According to recent statics, with 2071533 visitors, Cuba has achieved a near 4 per cent increase in the number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba in the January to August 2014 months when compared to same period last year.
The Caribbean island is now prepared to take full advantage of the peak season with Cuba’s Tourism Ministry carrying out a series of programs to ensure that Cuba’s tourism sector is able to realize its full potential. Some of the Tourism Ministry’s initiatives include the opening up of new air routes between Cuba and key source markets such as Canada, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Germany, Colombia, and Costa Rica.
In addition to securing new direct flights to Cuba, local tourism officials have also placed emphasis on attracting more cruise liners. Some of the cruise ships scheduled to visit Cuba this winter include, Cuba Cruise from Canada, Germany’s Star Clipper and Hamburg, Thomson Dream and Balmoral from the UK and the US’ Panorama and Semester at Sea.
With the expected peak in arrivals this winter, several Cuba hotels have invested in improving their facilities. Director of Cayo Largo Tourism Company, Moises Garcia, recently announced that hotels in the resort island off Cuba were being revamped and well as improvements to the surrounding infrastructure including access roads, the work undertaken in the area forms part of an investment plan aimed at achieving an 88 per cent occupancy rate.
Cuba welcomed over 2.8 million holidaymakers in 2013 with Canada its largest source market accounting for over one million arrivals that year. Other key markets for Cuba include the UK, France and Italy. In 2013 there was also a notable increase in the number of people from Argentina, Mexico, Spain Russia and Venezuela who chose to take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...