Cuba set to welcome record number of travellers this winter
With the winter period now underway, Cuba is preparing for its peak tourism period. The Caribbean island's tourism ministry has put steps in place including securing more direct flights to Cuba from key source markets, attracting more cruise liners and improvements to the hotels in Cuba.
Cuba looks to be on track to surpass the number of foreign visitors arriving on the island in 2014 with its busiest season of the year, the winter months of November- April, now underway. While many of the world’s most attractive holiday destinations have been struggling with the fallout of the global economic crisis, Cuba has bucked the trend. According to recent statics, with 2071533 visitors, Cuba has achieved a near 4 per cent increase in the number of travellers going on holidays to Cuba in the January to August 2014 months when compared to same period last year.
The Caribbean island is now prepared to take full advantage of the peak season with Cuba’s Tourism Ministry carrying out a series of programs to ensure that Cuba’s tourism sector is able to realize its full potential. Some of the Tourism Ministry’s initiatives include the opening up of new air routes between Cuba and key source markets such as Canada, Mexico, Poland, Russia, Germany, Colombia, and Costa Rica.
In addition to securing new direct flights to Cuba, local tourism officials have also placed emphasis on attracting more cruise liners. Some of the cruise ships scheduled to visit Cuba this winter include, Cuba Cruise from Canada, Germany’s Star Clipper and Hamburg, Thomson Dream and Balmoral from the UK and the US’ Panorama and Semester at Sea.
With the expected peak in arrivals this winter, several Cuba hotels have invested in improving their facilities. Director of Cayo Largo Tourism Company, Moises Garcia, recently announced that hotels in the resort island off Cuba were being revamped and well as improvements to the surrounding infrastructure including access roads, the work undertaken in the area forms part of an investment plan aimed at achieving an 88 per cent occupancy rate.
Cuba welcomed over 2.8 million holidaymakers in 2013 with Canada its largest source market accounting for over one million arrivals that year. Other key markets for Cuba include the UK, France and Italy. In 2013 there was also a notable increase in the number of people from Argentina, Mexico, Spain Russia and Venezuela who chose to take Cuba holidays.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars.
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches.
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
The ultimate beach holiday experience awaits you at Los Cactus, a Caribbean paradise for golf-lovers and scuba...