Cuba prepares for the first of 200 cruise ship arrivals this winter season
The winter season in Cuba officially starts on 21st November 2014 and the island is gearing up to welcome the arrival of more than 200 cruise ships over this period, which is also the island's peak tourism season. According to the Caribbean nation's tourism authorities, the ports with the most passenger arrivals will be Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago de Cuba.
As the winter season arrives in the Caribbean, the island of Cuba is getting ready to welcome more than 200 cruise ships over the next few months.
According to the tourism sector authorities in Cuba last week, the winter season will officially begin on 21st November, 2014 and it will last until April 2015.
The state-run Cubatur travel agency said that the port of Havana will welcome the arrival of approximately 2,000 cruise ship passengers on 21st November, most of them originating from Europe.
The ports with the most passenger entries are Havana, Cienfuegos in the central part of Cuba, and Santiago de Cuba on the eastern side of the island.
Cruise tourism in Cuba has significantly declined over recent years since the Spanish firm Pullmantur shut down its operations in the country in 2006. Tourism officials are now looking to increase cruise arrivals to the Caribbean nation with the help of international companies.
The city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season. Other cruise arrivals expected in Cuba over the next few months include the Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
In 2013, the country received approximately 2.85 million foreign tourists, with the majority of travellers arriving from Canada, the UK and Germany. This year, the country is expecting to receive more than three million visitors.
Tourism is Cuba’s second-biggest economic activity, after the export of technical and professional services, and tourism authorities are seeking new ways to diversify its offerings through cultural, nature, health, coastal and golf tours.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and the island is rich in breathtaking landscapes, culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, azure ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world’s second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...