Cuba prepares for the first of 200 cruise ship arrivals this winter season
The winter season in Cuba officially starts on 21st November 2014 and the island is gearing up to welcome the arrival of more than 200 cruise ships over this period, which is also the island's peak tourism season. According to the Caribbean nation's tourism authorities, the ports with the most passenger arrivals will be Havana, Cienfuegos, and Santiago de Cuba.
As the winter season arrives in the Caribbean, the island of Cuba is getting ready to welcome more than 200 cruise ships over the next few months.
According to the tourism sector authorities in Cuba last week, the winter season will officially begin on 21st November, 2014 and it will last until April 2015.
The state-run Cubatur travel agency said that the port of Havana will welcome the arrival of approximately 2,000 cruise ship passengers on 21st November, most of them originating from Europe.
The ports with the most passenger entries are Havana, Cienfuegos in the central part of Cuba, and Santiago de Cuba on the eastern side of the island.
Cruise tourism in Cuba has significantly declined over recent years since the Spanish firm Pullmantur shut down its operations in the country in 2006. Tourism officials are now looking to increase cruise arrivals to the Caribbean nation with the help of international companies.
The city of Cienfuegos, which is located 250 kilometres southeast of Havana, is expecting to receive 53 cruise ships at its port during this winter high season. Other cruise arrivals expected in Cuba over the next few months include the Panorama, the Star Clippers, and Canadian Cuba Cruise, which will take tourists on a seven-day tour around the island.
In 2013, the country received approximately 2.85 million foreign tourists, with the majority of travellers arriving from Canada, the UK and Germany. This year, the country is expecting to receive more than three million visitors.
Tourism is Cuba’s second-biggest economic activity, after the export of technical and professional services, and tourism authorities are seeking new ways to diversify its offerings through cultural, nature, health, coastal and golf tours.
Cuba is located south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico and the island is rich in breathtaking landscapes, culture, heritage and history. The country is home to pristine white and golden sand beaches, azure ocean waters, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world’s second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Pernik Hotel is a comfortable tourist hotel located in a quiet green area near downtown Holguin. This hotel is close to...