River Bumpkin Farm offers fun activities and nature tours in Jamaica
Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, a company owned by Sandals Resorts International, opened River Bumpkin Farm this summer, a new 59-acre site that offers biking, river and walking excursions in the heart of Jamaica. Built on the site of a former sugar estate, the farm features original buildings, waterfalls, limestone caves and wooden pathways on the banks of winding rivers.
Earlier this summer, Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, a company owned by Sandals Resorts International, opened River Bumpkin Farm, a 59-acre site full of walking and biking trails and river excursions, ideal for all family members and adventure-seeking enthusiasts of all ages.
Situated on a former sugar estate in the heart of Cockpit Country in Jamaica, the farm features many original buildings such as a boiling house, distilling house and a once-working aqueduct that were all part of the rum production process, as well as cascading waterfalls, limestone caves, and amazing flora and fauna bordering the riverbanks.
"We brainstormed about the name, and it was our CEO [Adam Stewart, of Sandals Resorts International] who came up with it," explained David Shields, the General Manager of the Jamaica-based Island Routes Caribbean Adventures.
"The name is meant to convey the rustic, rural country-ness and charm of this place. It's our answer to what our guests have asked for. They don't want touristy activities. They want what's real and what's fun."
The farm offers a range of guided tours and excursions through the River Bumpkin programme, including river tubing along the Martha Brae River, kayaking, cycling, trekking and historical walking tours. Tours last between 2.5 hours and 4.5 hours and visitors can enjoy food and beverages in the main reception area.
Holidaymakers can take part in a guided combination bike trek and bamboo river rafting tour which lasts 4.5 hours and costs $135.
Island Routes pick guests up from various Jamaica hotels and cruise ports in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Falmouth and transport them to and from River Bumpkin Farm via buses. Mr Shields explained:
"We want to balance environmental concerns and ensure a level of sustainability,"
Adventure activities are becoming increasingly popular in Jamaica and tourists can also visit the Treasure Beach Sports Park & Academy on the south coast of the island which features five low-rope elements and a 45-foot climbing wall that puts visitors through a series of physical and mental challenges.
The island nation of Jamaica is located in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world’s leading holiday destinations. With white sandy beaches fringed with azure warm ocean waters, soaring mountains, cascading waterfalls, lush rolling green hills and forests, and a wide range of luxury beachfront hotels and resorts, the region is a hotspot for tourists of all ages.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Located within 15 minutes from Sangster's International Airport and 5 minutes from three world-class golf courses
- Enjoy Exclusive April Offers with incredible savings
- A variety of water sports or leave your daily stress behind and relax with the magical spa services
- Luxury accommodations combined with breathtaking ocean views
- A wide selection of restaurants with international gourmet buffet, where you can enjoy a variety of cuisine from breakfast pastries to classic Jamaican fare
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....