River Bumpkin Farm offers fun activities and nature tours in Jamaica
Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, a company owned by Sandals Resorts International, opened River Bumpkin Farm this summer, a new 59-acre site that offers biking, river and walking excursions in the heart of Jamaica. Built on the site of a former sugar estate, the farm features original buildings, waterfalls, limestone caves and wooden pathways on the banks of winding rivers.
Earlier this summer, Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, a company owned by Sandals Resorts International, opened River Bumpkin Farm, a 59-acre site full of walking and biking trails and river excursions, ideal for all family members and adventure-seeking enthusiasts of all ages.
Situated on a former sugar estate in the heart of Cockpit Country in Jamaica, the farm features many original buildings such as a boiling house, distilling house and a once-working aqueduct that were all part of the rum production process, as well as cascading waterfalls, limestone caves, and amazing flora and fauna bordering the riverbanks.
"We brainstormed about the name, and it was our CEO [Adam Stewart, of Sandals Resorts International] who came up with it," explained David Shields, the General Manager of the Jamaica-based Island Routes Caribbean Adventures.
"The name is meant to convey the rustic, rural country-ness and charm of this place. It's our answer to what our guests have asked for. They don't want touristy activities. They want what's real and what's fun."
The farm offers a range of guided tours and excursions through the River Bumpkin programme, including river tubing along the Martha Brae River, kayaking, cycling, trekking and historical walking tours. Tours last between 2.5 hours and 4.5 hours and visitors can enjoy food and beverages in the main reception area.
Holidaymakers can take part in a guided combination bike trek and bamboo river rafting tour which lasts 4.5 hours and costs $135.
Island Routes pick guests up from various Jamaica hotels and cruise ports in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Falmouth and transport them to and from River Bumpkin Farm via buses. Mr Shields explained:
"We want to balance environmental concerns and ensure a level of sustainability,"
Adventure activities are becoming increasingly popular in Jamaica and tourists can also visit the Treasure Beach Sports Park & Academy on the south coast of the island which features five low-rope elements and a 45-foot climbing wall that puts visitors through a series of physical and mental challenges.
The island nation of Jamaica is located in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world’s leading holiday destinations. With white sandy beaches fringed with azure warm ocean waters, soaring mountains, cascading waterfalls, lush rolling green hills and forests, and a wide range of luxury beachfront hotels and resorts, the region is a hotspot for tourists of all ages.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Resort is surrounded by Montego Bay Marine Park, an underwater national park with protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Huge Savings when staying in Sun Club Rooms and Junior Suites
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage with a variety of restaurants plus 24-hour Room Service
- One child under 12 stays FREE and kids will enjoy access to the expansive and renowned Explorer's Club
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...