River Bumpkin Farm offers fun activities and nature tours in Jamaica
Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, a company owned by Sandals Resorts International, opened River Bumpkin Farm this summer, a new 59-acre site that offers biking, river and walking excursions in the heart of Jamaica. Built on the site of a former sugar estate, the farm features original buildings, waterfalls, limestone caves and wooden pathways on the banks of winding rivers.
Earlier this summer, Island Routes Caribbean Adventures, a company owned by Sandals Resorts International, opened River Bumpkin Farm, a 59-acre site full of walking and biking trails and river excursions, ideal for all family members and adventure-seeking enthusiasts of all ages.
Situated on a former sugar estate in the heart of Cockpit Country in Jamaica, the farm features many original buildings such as a boiling house, distilling house and a once-working aqueduct that were all part of the rum production process, as well as cascading waterfalls, limestone caves, and amazing flora and fauna bordering the riverbanks.
"We brainstormed about the name, and it was our CEO [Adam Stewart, of Sandals Resorts International] who came up with it," explained David Shields, the General Manager of the Jamaica-based Island Routes Caribbean Adventures.
"The name is meant to convey the rustic, rural country-ness and charm of this place. It's our answer to what our guests have asked for. They don't want touristy activities. They want what's real and what's fun."
The farm offers a range of guided tours and excursions through the River Bumpkin programme, including river tubing along the Martha Brae River, kayaking, cycling, trekking and historical walking tours. Tours last between 2.5 hours and 4.5 hours and visitors can enjoy food and beverages in the main reception area.
Holidaymakers can take part in a guided combination bike trek and bamboo river rafting tour which lasts 4.5 hours and costs $135.
Island Routes pick guests up from various Jamaica hotels and cruise ports in Montego Bay, Ocho Rios and Falmouth and transport them to and from River Bumpkin Farm via buses. Mr Shields explained:
"We want to balance environmental concerns and ensure a level of sustainability,"
Adventure activities are becoming increasingly popular in Jamaica and tourists can also visit the Treasure Beach Sports Park & Academy on the south coast of the island which features five low-rope elements and a 45-foot climbing wall that puts visitors through a series of physical and mental challenges.
The island nation of Jamaica is located in the Caribbean Sea and it is one of the world’s leading holiday destinations. With white sandy beaches fringed with azure warm ocean waters, soaring mountains, cascading waterfalls, lush rolling green hills and forests, and a wide range of luxury beachfront hotels and resorts, the region is a hotspot for tourists of all ages.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...