Jetwing triumphs at Sri Lanka's THASL Green Hotels Awards 2014
Jetwing Hotels scooped several awards at the THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014. The family-run hotel group is renowned for its eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and its innovative environmentally-friendly practices that have been implemented through their award-winning Jetwing Eternal Earth Programme.
Jetwing Hotels triumphed at the recent THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014, scooping several coveted awards.
The hotel group operates a number of eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and four of its properties received accolades in this year’s awards.
Jetwing Lagoon, the first resort in Sri Lanka, came out on top picking up three out of four awards in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The luxury beachfront resort was renovated in 2011 and it boasts the country’s first (in the hotel sector) vapour absorption chiller which is powered by steam generated by the biomass boiler and is used for the resort’s air-conditioning. The property also has 100 per cent LED lighting and the innovative AgroNova machine that is used for composting.
The property was awarded as the Energy Conservation Champion, Waste Conservation Champion, and the Best Green Hotel for 2014 in the Large and Boutique Hotels category.
Jetwing Yala was awarded the title of Best New Emerging Green Hotel in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The hotel has the largest privately owned solar park in Sri Lanka, which supplies 40 per cent of the hotel's electricity. Jetwing Yala also received a Certificate of Merit for Energy & Water Conservation and Waste Management under the same category; an achievement that was shared with Jetwing Sea and Jetwing Vil Uyana hotels.
"From the day we opened our doors in 1973, we have practiced a simple philosophy- we have one Sri Lanka, and only one. This was long before words such as 'sustainability' and 'environment friendly' were used, but the principle remains the same
Hiran Cooray, the Chairman of Jetwing Hotels continued, “Anything we do has to benefit the communities around us, and to reduce negative impact as much as possible. I am extremely proud of our Engineering team, and all our associates at our hotels – particularly Jetwing Lagoon, a relatively young hotel, for winning such a prestigious award.”
The family-owned hotel group has been operating hotels in Sri Lanka for 41 years and it combines traditional Sri Lankan hospitality, with pioneering technology and sustainable practices.
Jetwing’s properties might not look like typical eco-friendly hotels with their bold modern design and “green” elements such as solar panels, biomass boilers, and bottling plants that avoid the use of plastic bottles and are tucked away out of sight from the guests.
Sri Lanka is an island nation in the Indian Ocean that is home to beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Experience luxurious accommodations, modern business and leisure amenities and an ideal location in the heart of Abu...