Jetwing triumphs at Sri Lanka's THASL Green Hotels Awards 2014
Jetwing Hotels scooped several awards at the THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014. The family-run hotel group is renowned for its eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and its innovative environmentally-friendly practices that have been implemented through their award-winning Jetwing Eternal Earth Programme.
Jetwing Hotels triumphed at the recent THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014, scooping several coveted awards.
The hotel group operates a number of eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and four of its properties received accolades in this year’s awards.
Jetwing Lagoon, the first resort in Sri Lanka, came out on top picking up three out of four awards in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The luxury beachfront resort was renovated in 2011 and it boasts the country’s first (in the hotel sector) vapour absorption chiller which is powered by steam generated by the biomass boiler and is used for the resort’s air-conditioning. The property also has 100 per cent LED lighting and the innovative AgroNova machine that is used for composting.
The property was awarded as the Energy Conservation Champion, Waste Conservation Champion, and the Best Green Hotel for 2014 in the Large and Boutique Hotels category.
Jetwing Yala was awarded the title of Best New Emerging Green Hotel in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The hotel has the largest privately owned solar park in Sri Lanka, which supplies 40 per cent of the hotel's electricity. Jetwing Yala also received a Certificate of Merit for Energy & Water Conservation and Waste Management under the same category; an achievement that was shared with Jetwing Sea and Jetwing Vil Uyana hotels.
"From the day we opened our doors in 1973, we have practiced a simple philosophy- we have one Sri Lanka, and only one. This was long before words such as 'sustainability' and 'environment friendly' were used, but the principle remains the same
Hiran Cooray, the Chairman of Jetwing Hotels continued, “Anything we do has to benefit the communities around us, and to reduce negative impact as much as possible. I am extremely proud of our Engineering team, and all our associates at our hotels – particularly Jetwing Lagoon, a relatively young hotel, for winning such a prestigious award.”
The family-owned hotel group has been operating hotels in Sri Lanka for 41 years and it combines traditional Sri Lankan hospitality, with pioneering technology and sustainable practices.
Jetwing’s properties might not look like typical eco-friendly hotels with their bold modern design and “green” elements such as solar panels, biomass boilers, and bottling plants that avoid the use of plastic bottles and are tucked away out of sight from the guests.
Sri Lanka is an island nation in the Indian Ocean that is home to beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Fairmont Ajman is surrounded by stunning white sandy beaches and year round sunshine, just 30 minutes from the bustling...