Jetwing triumphs at Sri Lanka's THASL Green Hotels Awards 2014
Jetwing Hotels scooped several awards at the THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014. The family-run hotel group is renowned for its eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and its innovative environmentally-friendly practices that have been implemented through their award-winning Jetwing Eternal Earth Programme.
Jetwing Hotels triumphed at the recent THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014, scooping several coveted awards.
The hotel group operates a number of eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and four of its properties received accolades in this year’s awards.
Jetwing Lagoon, the first resort in Sri Lanka, came out on top picking up three out of four awards in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The luxury beachfront resort was renovated in 2011 and it boasts the country’s first (in the hotel sector) vapour absorption chiller which is powered by steam generated by the biomass boiler and is used for the resort’s air-conditioning. The property also has 100 per cent LED lighting and the innovative AgroNova machine that is used for composting.
The property was awarded as the Energy Conservation Champion, Waste Conservation Champion, and the Best Green Hotel for 2014 in the Large and Boutique Hotels category.
Jetwing Yala was awarded the title of Best New Emerging Green Hotel in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The hotel has the largest privately owned solar park in Sri Lanka, which supplies 40 per cent of the hotel's electricity. Jetwing Yala also received a Certificate of Merit for Energy & Water Conservation and Waste Management under the same category; an achievement that was shared with Jetwing Sea and Jetwing Vil Uyana hotels.
"From the day we opened our doors in 1973, we have practiced a simple philosophy- we have one Sri Lanka, and only one. This was long before words such as 'sustainability' and 'environment friendly' were used, but the principle remains the same
Hiran Cooray, the Chairman of Jetwing Hotels continued, “Anything we do has to benefit the communities around us, and to reduce negative impact as much as possible. I am extremely proud of our Engineering team, and all our associates at our hotels – particularly Jetwing Lagoon, a relatively young hotel, for winning such a prestigious award.”
The family-owned hotel group has been operating hotels in Sri Lanka for 41 years and it combines traditional Sri Lankan hospitality, with pioneering technology and sustainable practices.
Jetwing’s properties might not look like typical eco-friendly hotels with their bold modern design and “green” elements such as solar panels, biomass boilers, and bottling plants that avoid the use of plastic bottles and are tucked away out of sight from the guests.
Sri Lanka is an island nation in the Indian Ocean that is home to beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
With a good location next to the city centre and the medina, this charming hotel will put you in close proximity to the...