Jetwing triumphs at Sri Lanka's THASL Green Hotels Awards 2014
Jetwing Hotels scooped several awards at the THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014. The family-run hotel group is renowned for its eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and its innovative environmentally-friendly practices that have been implemented through their award-winning Jetwing Eternal Earth Programme.
Jetwing Hotels triumphed at the recent THASL (The Hotels Association of Sri Lanka) Green Hotels Awards 2014, scooping several coveted awards.
The hotel group operates a number of eco-friendly hotels in Sri Lanka and four of its properties received accolades in this year’s awards.
Jetwing Lagoon, the first resort in Sri Lanka, came out on top picking up three out of four awards in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The luxury beachfront resort was renovated in 2011 and it boasts the country’s first (in the hotel sector) vapour absorption chiller which is powered by steam generated by the biomass boiler and is used for the resort’s air-conditioning. The property also has 100 per cent LED lighting and the innovative AgroNova machine that is used for composting.
The property was awarded as the Energy Conservation Champion, Waste Conservation Champion, and the Best Green Hotel for 2014 in the Large and Boutique Hotels category.
Jetwing Yala was awarded the title of Best New Emerging Green Hotel in the Large Hotels and Boutique Hotels category. The hotel has the largest privately owned solar park in Sri Lanka, which supplies 40 per cent of the hotel's electricity. Jetwing Yala also received a Certificate of Merit for Energy & Water Conservation and Waste Management under the same category; an achievement that was shared with Jetwing Sea and Jetwing Vil Uyana hotels.
"From the day we opened our doors in 1973, we have practiced a simple philosophy- we have one Sri Lanka, and only one. This was long before words such as 'sustainability' and 'environment friendly' were used, but the principle remains the same
Hiran Cooray, the Chairman of Jetwing Hotels continued, “Anything we do has to benefit the communities around us, and to reduce negative impact as much as possible. I am extremely proud of our Engineering team, and all our associates at our hotels – particularly Jetwing Lagoon, a relatively young hotel, for winning such a prestigious award.”
The family-owned hotel group has been operating hotels in Sri Lanka for 41 years and it combines traditional Sri Lankan hospitality, with pioneering technology and sustainable practices.
Jetwing’s properties might not look like typical eco-friendly hotels with their bold modern design and “green” elements such as solar panels, biomass boilers, and bottling plants that avoid the use of plastic bottles and are tucked away out of sight from the guests.
Sri Lanka is an island nation in the Indian Ocean that is home to beautiful natural landscapes and diverse ecosystems made up of miles of unspoilt sandy beaches, soaring mountains, wildlife sanctuaries, lush nature parks, and a collection of heritage sites that include ancient cities and colonial forts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Relax and unwind at this stunning resort without having to dig deep in your pocket.
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...