Vietnam on track to achieve full year tourism growth
A territorial dispute between China and Vietnam has led to a decline in the number of people from China travelling to Vietnam. Despite this decline from Vietnam's largest source market, growth in other markets like Russia, Japan and South Korea leaves Vietnam on course to meet its target of 8 million international arrivals in 2014.
A recent report on the number of people travelling to Vietnam indicates that the South East Asian country is on track to achieve full year growth. Tourism officials in Vietnam will likely be breathing a sigh of relief as the country’s tourism industry is currently taking a hit from a decline in visitors from China - Vietnams largest source market.
An on going territorial dispute between China and Vietnam over the Paracel Islands has led to dramatic reduction in the number of Chinese travellers visiting Vietnam which was down by 12.3 per cent in September 2014. As a result of the dispute, the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT) reported four months of decline in international arrivals to Vietnam since June. The number of international arrivals in September was 4 per cent down when compared to the same month last year with 590,881 visitors.
Despite the decline in arrivals from China, there has been notable growth from other key source markets, namely South Korea (up by 19.4 per cent), Japan (up by 7.1 per cent) and Russia (up by 44.7 per cent) and there was little change in the arrivals from the US, Australia and France. The cumulative effect of the trends observed in these source markets outside of China in the past four months in addition to the overall performance of the tourism industry during the first nine months of the year for the means that Vietnam remains on track for strong growth in 2014. VNAT has set a target of 8 million international arrivals in 2014.
During the period of January to September, Vietnam welcomed as many as 6.06 million visitors- a significant 10.4 per cent increase year-on-year. According to Nguyen Van Tuan, the director general of VNAT, 3.65 million of these visitors came to enjoy their holidays in Vietnam while the remaining travellers booked their flights to Vietnam for business purposes or to visit family.
Vietnam is one of the most popular South East Asian holiday destinations. The country was recently named by travel search site Skyscanner as the second best value for money holiday destinations; neighbouring Cambodia took the top spot.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
Feel at one with the surroundings at the beautiful Mango Bay Resort
- Mango Bay has been supporting wildlife at risk (WAR) since 2006, and has even discovered many new species on Phu Quoc Island
- Revitalise your mind, body and spirit with Yoga and Tai Chi on the beach
- Snorkel and scuba dive around the nearby islands with Flipper Diving Club and discover the truly stunning and beautiful world underwater
Treat you and your family to stay in vibrant city of Nha Trang where you will find that there is something for everyone
- You will find something to everyone's tastes at the hotel restaurant 'The Square', with its extensive global buffet
- The hotel includes both an outdoor pool bar and beach bar so you never have to go far to find that tropical cocktail
- All the rooms at the Novotel Nha trang have their own private balconies and idyllic sea views
A fantastic value trip, exploring Vietnam's most iconic cities and natural wonders with added downtime to relax on the beach
- English-speaking guides and entrance fees included
- Extend your holiday with a break in Cambodia or on the beaches of Phu Quoc
- Day cruise on Halong Bay with lunch included
Witness the beauty of Vietnam for yourself with its awe-inspiring landscapes and fascinating history before rejuvenating on the beachfront on the idyllic island of Phu Quoc
- Try your hand at haggling in the vibrant Ben Thanh Market
- Watch the world go by as you cruise through the Mekong Delta
- Ideal beachfront break on the tropical island of Phu Quoc to finish
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. The Essential Vietnam...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
Discover some of the most amazing and iconic sights in the world on this simply stunning trip through Vietnam, Cambodia...