MotoDiscovery to start offering motorised tours to Cuba
After finally being granted a People-to-People license by the U.S. Treasury Department, MotoDiscovery, the U.S.A's only provider of educational formatted travel through Cuba by motorcycle, will once again resume their schedule of Cuba tours on two wheels starting December 2014.
After welcoming the news of the license approval, MotoDiscovery has announced that their new schedule of motorcycle excursions to Cuba will kick-start in December this year.
A Texas-based company founded in 1981, MotoDiscovery specialises in offering customers unique motorcycling adventures throughout the world, and they had long dreamed of expanding the Cuba experiences they offered, by adding new destinations on the island's eastern end, such as Santiago de Cuba, Baracoa, Guantanamo and Holguin (among others), to their itineraries.
But getting that expansion legalised was a lengthy, one-year-long process that tests the patience of many companies with similar projects.
Skip Mascorro, founder of MotoDiscovery, explains:
"The licensing process is gruelling and navigating the bureaucratic pathways that ultimately result in approval has been a year’s long process.
Backed by travel writer, photographer and Cuba expert, Christopher P Baker, author of Mi Moto Fidel, Motorcycling through Castro’s Cuba, who also serves as the official host on these organised motorcycle tours, Mascorro re-tells of how the two have been working together for years to fulfil a common desire to ride the island on a motorbike and write a comprehensive travel guide. Obama’s easing of laws regarding travel to Cuba, gave them the push they needed, since only then a legal window of opportunity for offering these tours opened up, with the new People-to-People scheme.
"We are well aware that anything involving Cuba opens up controversy. It is a sensitive topic…”
“It is indisputable however that while political differences have lingered for decades, at the ‘people to people’ level there is a connection that runs deep and one can expect nothing but the warmest and sincerest of welcomes. The people of Cuba are special.
Those booking the comprehensive (and rather expensive) MotoDiscovery's motorcycle tours to Cuba have the choice of selecting from arrange of itineraries, ranging from 9 to 15-day journeys. Each of these trips is organised in a way that allows participants to truly engage in the local way of life and get to know Cubans from every walk of life.
Group sizes are limited to 12 bikes and advance booking is essential. Participants depart from Miami and take a short 35-minute flight to Havana, which is the arrival and departure point. Shortly after they’re taken to explore a myriad of heritage sites and places of historical, cultural or beautiful rural/natural value. From Havana to Pinar del Rio, to Santa Clara’s Che Guevara mausoleum to the Escambray Mountains, Trinidad and the Bay of Pigs, no other tour is more complete and all-encompassing. Other motorcycle tours by MotoDiscovery include the eastern end, with one of these covering the entire island in all its depth and breadth – from East to West.
If Che’s Motorcycle Diaries inspired you (the film or the book) to get on the road and live unique adventures, these motorcycle tours in Cuba are the way to quench your thirst for adventure, but spaces are limited (and pricey) so the time to book is now.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...