MotoDiscovery to start offering motorised tours to Cuba
After finally being granted a People-to-People license by the U.S. Treasury Department, MotoDiscovery, the U.S.A's only provider of educational formatted travel through Cuba by motorcycle, will once again resume their schedule of Cuba tours on two wheels starting December 2014.
After welcoming the news of the license approval, MotoDiscovery has announced that their new schedule of motorcycle excursions to Cuba will kick-start in December this year.
A Texas-based company founded in 1981, MotoDiscovery specialises in offering customers unique motorcycling adventures throughout the world, and they had long dreamed of expanding the Cuba experiences they offered, by adding new destinations on the island's eastern end, such as Santiago de Cuba, Baracoa, Guantanamo and Holguin (among others), to their itineraries.
But getting that expansion legalised was a lengthy, one-year-long process that tests the patience of many companies with similar projects.
Skip Mascorro, founder of MotoDiscovery, explains:
"The licensing process is gruelling and navigating the bureaucratic pathways that ultimately result in approval has been a year’s long process.
Backed by travel writer, photographer and Cuba expert, Christopher P Baker, author of Mi Moto Fidel, Motorcycling through Castro’s Cuba, who also serves as the official host on these organised motorcycle tours, Mascorro re-tells of how the two have been working together for years to fulfil a common desire to ride the island on a motorbike and write a comprehensive travel guide. Obama’s easing of laws regarding travel to Cuba, gave them the push they needed, since only then a legal window of opportunity for offering these tours opened up, with the new People-to-People scheme.
"We are well aware that anything involving Cuba opens up controversy. It is a sensitive topic…”
“It is indisputable however that while political differences have lingered for decades, at the ‘people to people’ level there is a connection that runs deep and one can expect nothing but the warmest and sincerest of welcomes. The people of Cuba are special.
Those booking the comprehensive (and rather expensive) MotoDiscovery's motorcycle tours to Cuba have the choice of selecting from arrange of itineraries, ranging from 9 to 15-day journeys. Each of these trips is organised in a way that allows participants to truly engage in the local way of life and get to know Cubans from every walk of life.
Group sizes are limited to 12 bikes and advance booking is essential. Participants depart from Miami and take a short 35-minute flight to Havana, which is the arrival and departure point. Shortly after they’re taken to explore a myriad of heritage sites and places of historical, cultural or beautiful rural/natural value. From Havana to Pinar del Rio, to Santa Clara’s Che Guevara mausoleum to the Escambray Mountains, Trinidad and the Bay of Pigs, no other tour is more complete and all-encompassing. Other motorcycle tours by MotoDiscovery include the eastern end, with one of these covering the entire island in all its depth and breadth – from East to West.
If Che’s Motorcycle Diaries inspired you (the film or the book) to get on the road and live unique adventures, these motorcycle tours in Cuba are the way to quench your thirst for adventure, but spaces are limited (and pricey) so the time to book is now.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...