Royal Resorts in Cancun rescue and release 3,773 baby sea turtles this year
Royal Resorts' sea turtle protection programme in Cancun has been a success once again as 3,773 baby sea turtles have been already rescued and released into the ocean this year. There have been 193 nests on the beaches in the Mexican region so far, with turtles laying 22,204 eggs on Royal Resorts properties.
The sea turtle production team at Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico has announced that so far this year, 3,773 baby sea turtles have been rescued and released into the ocean.
Earlier this summer, adult sea turtles came on to the sandy beaches in Cancun to lay their eggs, and the team who are in charge of the Royal Resorts' sea turtle protection programme have counted 193 nests with turtles laying 22,204 eggs so far.
At The Royal Caribbean and The Royal Islander, a total of 1,944 turtles were released, 1,279 were released from The Royal Sands, and 92 from Grand Residences.
The Royal Resorts sea turtle protection programme was established in 1998, and over the decades, it has protected a total of 6,264 nests and released 522,394 sea turtles. Hotel guests staying at the luxury beachfront resorts are invited to watch the turtle protection team release the beautiful baby sea turtles after they have hatched on the beaches in Cancun.
Sea turtles are an endangered species in Mexico and the United States due to fishermen killing them in large numbers and many die after being caught up in fishing lines and nets or from swallowing plastics and dangerous debris.
Baby sea turtles are often at risk from preying birds, crabs, birds, raccoons and dogs as they make their way from the nests on the beaches to the ocean. Many are disorientated by artificial lights of beachfront hotels, houses or structures before they reach the water's edge.
To aid the baby turtles in their journey, the security staff members at Royal Resorts transfer the sea turtle eggs to purpose-built corrals to protect them from human activity or coastal development. Then, when the eggs hatch, guests staying at the hotels will have the opportunity to watch and help set the tiny baby turtles free.
Joanna Green, the Communication Manager at Royal Resorts, explained:
"At dusk, Royal Resorts guards get ready to release the baby turtles as members and guests look on. I saw my first sea turtle years ago and it is something I never miss.
"Every summer I'm on the beach watching these tiny creatures scuttle towards the waves and wishing them Godspeed. Their instinct and will to reach the sea is amazing, truly a miracle of life. I feel privileged to witness one of nature's wonders."
Tourists can catch sightings of the nests and baby turtles between August and November, with September and October being the quieter months to enjoy watching the turtles being released into the ocean.
Royal Resorts was established in 1975 and it operates six resorts across Cancun and the Riviera Maya: The Royal Cancun, The Royal Caribbean, The Royal Islander, The Royal Sands, The Royal Haciendas, and Grand Residences by Royal Resorts. The beachfront properties boast upscale accommodation and high end facilities that can be enjoyed by holidaymakers of all ages.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...