Royal Resorts in Cancun rescue and release 3,773 baby sea turtles this year
Royal Resorts' sea turtle protection programme in Cancun has been a success once again as 3,773 baby sea turtles have been already rescued and released into the ocean this year. There have been 193 nests on the beaches in the Mexican region so far, with turtles laying 22,204 eggs on Royal Resorts properties.
The sea turtle production team at Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico has announced that so far this year, 3,773 baby sea turtles have been rescued and released into the ocean.
Earlier this summer, adult sea turtles came on to the sandy beaches in Cancun to lay their eggs, and the team who are in charge of the Royal Resorts' sea turtle protection programme have counted 193 nests with turtles laying 22,204 eggs so far.
At The Royal Caribbean and The Royal Islander, a total of 1,944 turtles were released, 1,279 were released from The Royal Sands, and 92 from Grand Residences.
The Royal Resorts sea turtle protection programme was established in 1998, and over the decades, it has protected a total of 6,264 nests and released 522,394 sea turtles. Hotel guests staying at the luxury beachfront resorts are invited to watch the turtle protection team release the beautiful baby sea turtles after they have hatched on the beaches in Cancun.
Sea turtles are an endangered species in Mexico and the United States due to fishermen killing them in large numbers and many die after being caught up in fishing lines and nets or from swallowing plastics and dangerous debris.
Baby sea turtles are often at risk from preying birds, crabs, birds, raccoons and dogs as they make their way from the nests on the beaches to the ocean. Many are disorientated by artificial lights of beachfront hotels, houses or structures before they reach the water's edge.
To aid the baby turtles in their journey, the security staff members at Royal Resorts transfer the sea turtle eggs to purpose-built corrals to protect them from human activity or coastal development. Then, when the eggs hatch, guests staying at the hotels will have the opportunity to watch and help set the tiny baby turtles free.
Joanna Green, the Communication Manager at Royal Resorts, explained:
"At dusk, Royal Resorts guards get ready to release the baby turtles as members and guests look on. I saw my first sea turtle years ago and it is something I never miss.
"Every summer I'm on the beach watching these tiny creatures scuttle towards the waves and wishing them Godspeed. Their instinct and will to reach the sea is amazing, truly a miracle of life. I feel privileged to witness one of nature's wonders."
Tourists can catch sightings of the nests and baby turtles between August and November, with September and October being the quieter months to enjoy watching the turtles being released into the ocean.
Royal Resorts was established in 1975 and it operates six resorts across Cancun and the Riviera Maya: The Royal Cancun, The Royal Caribbean, The Royal Islander, The Royal Sands, The Royal Haciendas, and Grand Residences by Royal Resorts. The beachfront properties boast upscale accommodation and high end facilities that can be enjoyed by holidaymakers of all ages.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...