UNICEF and Iberostar refurbish and re-open children's nurseries in Cuba
For the second time around, UNICEF has partnered up with Iberostar Hotels and Resorts to finance a community project in Cuba that will see the total renovation of five children nurseries in the eastern province of Santiago de Cuba. Restoring these to their former glory after the passing of Hurricane Sandy and several earth tremors, will mean that over 1000 children in the region will soon have a safe place for early learning.
As a warm gesture of giving back to the community as part of their charitable work through the Iberostar Foundation, the luxury Spanish chain of hotels in Cuba, Iberostar, is working in partnership with UNICEF for the refurbishment and reopening of five children's nurseries in Santiago de Cuba, all of which were badly affected by earth tremors over the last few years and Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
The project, kick-started by UNICEF in collaboration with Iberostar, will be financed with an approximate $191,000 and will benefit a total of 1,043 children and their families.
This is the second project of its kind that has the support and backing of the Iberostar Foundation. The first one resulted in the refurbishment of another five nurseries in the region, in which now a total of 931 children are being looked after.
The refurbishment of each of these establishments is a process that includes a number of visits to assess the damage, come up with the design and development plan of the reforms and after that several follow-ups throughout the refurbishment process to overlook the works carried out. On top of this, as part of the refurbishment works, the electricity connections, the hydraulic network and the marquetry of the buildings also receive a makeover.
Each of these buildings' reforms directly contributes to the creation of safe spaces for children's early learning years, as well as also giving a substantial improvement to the sanitary conditions of these learning centres. As an added and welcome bonus, it also provides carers and nursery staff with a more inspiring and appropriate workplace in which to teach and offer vital care for little ones in those all-important first years.
Javier Martos, UNICEF's executive director from the Spanish Committee, highlighted Iberostar's outstanding involvement and commitment to the most vulnerable children in the island with a strong emphasis on sponsoring projects that support the education of children and youngsters in Cuba.
On their part, the Iberostar Group was quick to announce their satisfaction at once again sponsoring a project of this kind in Cuba.
"We're very happy with the renewal of our agreement with UNICEF's Spanish Committee and we hope that the new refurbishment projects help to improve the lives of hundreds of children and their families in the region of Santiago."
The above words were uttered with sentiment by Miguel Fluxa, Executive President of Grupo Iberostar.
With ten hotels and resorts in Cuba, including boutique properties, all-inclusives and luxury accommodations, the Iberostar chain is one of the most popular in the island, with many of its properties repeatedly ranked ranking on the number one spot on TripAdvisor as rated by many past travellers choosing the Spanish brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...