UNICEF and Iberostar refurbish and re-open children's nurseries in Cuba
For the second time around, UNICEF has partnered up with Iberostar Hotels and Resorts to finance a community project in Cuba that will see the total renovation of five children nurseries in the eastern province of Santiago de Cuba. Restoring these to their former glory after the passing of Hurricane Sandy and several earth tremors, will mean that over 1000 children in the region will soon have a safe place for early learning.
As a warm gesture of giving back to the community as part of their charitable work through the Iberostar Foundation, the luxury Spanish chain of hotels in Cuba, Iberostar, is working in partnership with UNICEF for the refurbishment and reopening of five children's nurseries in Santiago de Cuba, all of which were badly affected by earth tremors over the last few years and Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
The project, kick-started by UNICEF in collaboration with Iberostar, will be financed with an approximate $191,000 and will benefit a total of 1,043 children and their families.
This is the second project of its kind that has the support and backing of the Iberostar Foundation. The first one resulted in the refurbishment of another five nurseries in the region, in which now a total of 931 children are being looked after.
The refurbishment of each of these establishments is a process that includes a number of visits to assess the damage, come up with the design and development plan of the reforms and after that several follow-ups throughout the refurbishment process to overlook the works carried out. On top of this, as part of the refurbishment works, the electricity connections, the hydraulic network and the marquetry of the buildings also receive a makeover.
Each of these buildings' reforms directly contributes to the creation of safe spaces for children's early learning years, as well as also giving a substantial improvement to the sanitary conditions of these learning centres. As an added and welcome bonus, it also provides carers and nursery staff with a more inspiring and appropriate workplace in which to teach and offer vital care for little ones in those all-important first years.
Javier Martos, UNICEF's executive director from the Spanish Committee, highlighted Iberostar's outstanding involvement and commitment to the most vulnerable children in the island with a strong emphasis on sponsoring projects that support the education of children and youngsters in Cuba.
On their part, the Iberostar Group was quick to announce their satisfaction at once again sponsoring a project of this kind in Cuba.
"We're very happy with the renewal of our agreement with UNICEF's Spanish Committee and we hope that the new refurbishment projects help to improve the lives of hundreds of children and their families in the region of Santiago."
The above words were uttered with sentiment by Miguel Fluxa, Executive President of Grupo Iberostar.
With ten hotels and resorts in Cuba, including boutique properties, all-inclusives and luxury accommodations, the Iberostar chain is one of the most popular in the island, with many of its properties repeatedly ranked ranking on the number one spot on TripAdvisor as rated by many past travellers choosing the Spanish brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...