UNICEF and Iberostar refurbish and re-open children's nurseries in Cuba
For the second time around, UNICEF has partnered up with Iberostar Hotels and Resorts to finance a community project in Cuba that will see the total renovation of five children nurseries in the eastern province of Santiago de Cuba. Restoring these to their former glory after the passing of Hurricane Sandy and several earth tremors, will mean that over 1000 children in the region will soon have a safe place for early learning.
As a warm gesture of giving back to the community as part of their charitable work through the Iberostar Foundation, the luxury Spanish chain of hotels in Cuba, Iberostar, is working in partnership with UNICEF for the refurbishment and reopening of five children's nurseries in Santiago de Cuba, all of which were badly affected by earth tremors over the last few years and Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
The project, kick-started by UNICEF in collaboration with Iberostar, will be financed with an approximate $191,000 and will benefit a total of 1,043 children and their families.
This is the second project of its kind that has the support and backing of the Iberostar Foundation. The first one resulted in the refurbishment of another five nurseries in the region, in which now a total of 931 children are being looked after.
The refurbishment of each of these establishments is a process that includes a number of visits to assess the damage, come up with the design and development plan of the reforms and after that several follow-ups throughout the refurbishment process to overlook the works carried out. On top of this, as part of the refurbishment works, the electricity connections, the hydraulic network and the marquetry of the buildings also receive a makeover.
Each of these buildings' reforms directly contributes to the creation of safe spaces for children's early learning years, as well as also giving a substantial improvement to the sanitary conditions of these learning centres. As an added and welcome bonus, it also provides carers and nursery staff with a more inspiring and appropriate workplace in which to teach and offer vital care for little ones in those all-important first years.
Javier Martos, UNICEF's executive director from the Spanish Committee, highlighted Iberostar's outstanding involvement and commitment to the most vulnerable children in the island with a strong emphasis on sponsoring projects that support the education of children and youngsters in Cuba.
On their part, the Iberostar Group was quick to announce their satisfaction at once again sponsoring a project of this kind in Cuba.
"We're very happy with the renewal of our agreement with UNICEF's Spanish Committee and we hope that the new refurbishment projects help to improve the lives of hundreds of children and their families in the region of Santiago."
The above words were uttered with sentiment by Miguel Fluxa, Executive President of Grupo Iberostar.
With ten hotels and resorts in Cuba, including boutique properties, all-inclusives and luxury accommodations, the Iberostar chain is one of the most popular in the island, with many of its properties repeatedly ranked ranking on the number one spot on TripAdvisor as rated by many past travellers choosing the Spanish brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...