UNICEF and Iberostar refurbish and re-open children's nurseries in Cuba
For the second time around, UNICEF has partnered up with Iberostar Hotels and Resorts to finance a community project in Cuba that will see the total renovation of five children nurseries in the eastern province of Santiago de Cuba. Restoring these to their former glory after the passing of Hurricane Sandy and several earth tremors, will mean that over 1000 children in the region will soon have a safe place for early learning.
As a warm gesture of giving back to the community as part of their charitable work through the Iberostar Foundation, the luxury Spanish chain of hotels in Cuba, Iberostar, is working in partnership with UNICEF for the refurbishment and reopening of five children's nurseries in Santiago de Cuba, all of which were badly affected by earth tremors over the last few years and Hurricane Sandy in 2012.
The project, kick-started by UNICEF in collaboration with Iberostar, will be financed with an approximate $191,000 and will benefit a total of 1,043 children and their families.
This is the second project of its kind that has the support and backing of the Iberostar Foundation. The first one resulted in the refurbishment of another five nurseries in the region, in which now a total of 931 children are being looked after.
The refurbishment of each of these establishments is a process that includes a number of visits to assess the damage, come up with the design and development plan of the reforms and after that several follow-ups throughout the refurbishment process to overlook the works carried out. On top of this, as part of the refurbishment works, the electricity connections, the hydraulic network and the marquetry of the buildings also receive a makeover.
Each of these buildings' reforms directly contributes to the creation of safe spaces for children's early learning years, as well as also giving a substantial improvement to the sanitary conditions of these learning centres. As an added and welcome bonus, it also provides carers and nursery staff with a more inspiring and appropriate workplace in which to teach and offer vital care for little ones in those all-important first years.
Javier Martos, UNICEF's executive director from the Spanish Committee, highlighted Iberostar's outstanding involvement and commitment to the most vulnerable children in the island with a strong emphasis on sponsoring projects that support the education of children and youngsters in Cuba.
On their part, the Iberostar Group was quick to announce their satisfaction at once again sponsoring a project of this kind in Cuba.
"We're very happy with the renewal of our agreement with UNICEF's Spanish Committee and we hope that the new refurbishment projects help to improve the lives of hundreds of children and their families in the region of Santiago."
The above words were uttered with sentiment by Miguel Fluxa, Executive President of Grupo Iberostar.
With ten hotels and resorts in Cuba, including boutique properties, all-inclusives and luxury accommodations, the Iberostar chain is one of the most popular in the island, with many of its properties repeatedly ranked ranking on the number one spot on TripAdvisor as rated by many past travellers choosing the Spanish brand in Cuba.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...