New cruise ship terminal planned for Cienfuegos, Cuba
A new modern cruise terminal is set to be constructed in the port of Cienfuegos in southern Cuba. The Transport Ministry will be in charge of investment in the project as the city gets ready to welcome 53 cruise ships this winter season. The development aims to develop nautical tourism in the region.
Nautical tourism in Cuba could be on the increase as after an announcement was made that the port of Cienfuegos would get a new modern cruise ship terminal.
The port in the city in the south of Cuba is the country's second largest in terms of the volume of operations and according to Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry (Mintur), the Transport Ministry is in charge of investment in the project.
When he presented the sketches of the ambitious development, Gonzalez explained:
"We are thinking big, we are talking about a worldwide project."
Cienfuegos is located 250 kilometres southeast of the capital of Cuba and 53 cruise ships are expected to stop at the port during the forthcoming winter high season.
Cuba's tourism industry is keen to promote nautical tourism, golf tourism and ecotourism all over the country to attract foreign holidaymakers.
The chairman of the Marlin Marinas Business Group, Domingo Cisneros, said that the company is working to promote water sports such as sport fishing, scuba diving, kite surfing, yachting, sea kayaking and boat trips in the beachside resorts of Varadero in the province of Matanzas, and Cayo Coco, an island in central Cuba.
Tourist officials are expecting to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number this year.
Canada is the main tourist market in Cuba, followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased the restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents and tourists can now take holidays in Cuba for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the communist island of Cuba is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...