New cruise ship terminal planned for Cienfuegos, Cuba
A new modern cruise terminal is set to be constructed in the port of Cienfuegos in southern Cuba. The Transport Ministry will be in charge of investment in the project as the city gets ready to welcome 53 cruise ships this winter season. The development aims to develop nautical tourism in the region.
Nautical tourism in Cuba could be on the increase as after an announcement was made that the port of Cienfuegos would get a new modern cruise ship terminal.
The port in the city in the south of Cuba is the country's second largest in terms of the volume of operations and according to Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry (Mintur), the Transport Ministry is in charge of investment in the project.
When he presented the sketches of the ambitious development, Gonzalez explained:
"We are thinking big, we are talking about a worldwide project."
Cienfuegos is located 250 kilometres southeast of the capital of Cuba and 53 cruise ships are expected to stop at the port during the forthcoming winter high season.
Cuba's tourism industry is keen to promote nautical tourism, golf tourism and ecotourism all over the country to attract foreign holidaymakers.
The chairman of the Marlin Marinas Business Group, Domingo Cisneros, said that the company is working to promote water sports such as sport fishing, scuba diving, kite surfing, yachting, sea kayaking and boat trips in the beachside resorts of Varadero in the province of Matanzas, and Cayo Coco, an island in central Cuba.
Tourist officials are expecting to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number this year.
Canada is the main tourist market in Cuba, followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased the restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents and tourists can now take holidays in Cuba for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the communist island of Cuba is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...