New cruise ship terminal planned for Cienfuegos, Cuba
A new modern cruise terminal is set to be constructed in the port of Cienfuegos in southern Cuba. The Transport Ministry will be in charge of investment in the project as the city gets ready to welcome 53 cruise ships this winter season. The development aims to develop nautical tourism in the region.
Nautical tourism in Cuba could be on the increase as after an announcement was made that the port of Cienfuegos would get a new modern cruise ship terminal.
The port in the city in the south of Cuba is the country's second largest in terms of the volume of operations and according to Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry (Mintur), the Transport Ministry is in charge of investment in the project.
When he presented the sketches of the ambitious development, Gonzalez explained:
"We are thinking big, we are talking about a worldwide project."
Cienfuegos is located 250 kilometres southeast of the capital of Cuba and 53 cruise ships are expected to stop at the port during the forthcoming winter high season.
Cuba's tourism industry is keen to promote nautical tourism, golf tourism and ecotourism all over the country to attract foreign holidaymakers.
The chairman of the Marlin Marinas Business Group, Domingo Cisneros, said that the company is working to promote water sports such as sport fishing, scuba diving, kite surfing, yachting, sea kayaking and boat trips in the beachside resorts of Varadero in the province of Matanzas, and Cayo Coco, an island in central Cuba.
Tourist officials are expecting to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number this year.
Canada is the main tourist market in Cuba, followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased the restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents and tourists can now take holidays in Cuba for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the communist island of Cuba is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...