New cruise ship terminal planned for Cienfuegos, Cuba
A new modern cruise terminal is set to be constructed in the port of Cienfuegos in southern Cuba. The Transport Ministry will be in charge of investment in the project as the city gets ready to welcome 53 cruise ships this winter season. The development aims to develop nautical tourism in the region.
Nautical tourism in Cuba could be on the increase as after an announcement was made that the port of Cienfuegos would get a new modern cruise ship terminal.
The port in the city in the south of Cuba is the country's second largest in terms of the volume of operations and according to Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry (Mintur), the Transport Ministry is in charge of investment in the project.
When he presented the sketches of the ambitious development, Gonzalez explained:
"We are thinking big, we are talking about a worldwide project."
Cienfuegos is located 250 kilometres southeast of the capital of Cuba and 53 cruise ships are expected to stop at the port during the forthcoming winter high season.
Cuba's tourism industry is keen to promote nautical tourism, golf tourism and ecotourism all over the country to attract foreign holidaymakers.
The chairman of the Marlin Marinas Business Group, Domingo Cisneros, said that the company is working to promote water sports such as sport fishing, scuba diving, kite surfing, yachting, sea kayaking and boat trips in the beachside resorts of Varadero in the province of Matanzas, and Cayo Coco, an island in central Cuba.
Tourist officials are expecting to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number this year.
Canada is the main tourist market in Cuba, followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased the restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents and tourists can now take holidays in Cuba for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the communist island of Cuba is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...