New cruise ship terminal planned for Cienfuegos, Cuba
A new modern cruise terminal is set to be constructed in the port of Cienfuegos in southern Cuba. The Transport Ministry will be in charge of investment in the project as the city gets ready to welcome 53 cruise ships this winter season. The development aims to develop nautical tourism in the region.
Nautical tourism in Cuba could be on the increase as after an announcement was made that the port of Cienfuegos would get a new modern cruise ship terminal.
The port in the city in the south of Cuba is the country's second largest in terms of the volume of operations and according to Jose Enrique Gonzalez from the Tourism Ministry (Mintur), the Transport Ministry is in charge of investment in the project.
When he presented the sketches of the ambitious development, Gonzalez explained:
"We are thinking big, we are talking about a worldwide project."
Cienfuegos is located 250 kilometres southeast of the capital of Cuba and 53 cruise ships are expected to stop at the port during the forthcoming winter high season.
Cuba's tourism industry is keen to promote nautical tourism, golf tourism and ecotourism all over the country to attract foreign holidaymakers.
The chairman of the Marlin Marinas Business Group, Domingo Cisneros, said that the company is working to promote water sports such as sport fishing, scuba diving, kite surfing, yachting, sea kayaking and boat trips in the beachside resorts of Varadero in the province of Matanzas, and Cayo Coco, an island in central Cuba.
Tourist officials are expecting to receive three million international visitors a year and the Caribbean island nation is on target to meet that number this year.
Canada is the main tourist market in Cuba, followed by the UK, Germany, Mexico, Spain, Italy, Venezuela, Russia, Argentina and Colombia.
In 2011, U.S President Barack Obama eased the restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents and tourists can now take holidays in Cuba for cultural, religious, academic, professional and educational reasons.
Situated in the Caribbean Sea, south of the Bahamas and east of Mexico, the communist island of Cuba is rich in culture, heritage and history. The country boasts beautiful white and golden sand beaches, luxury beachfront hotels, historic cities, the world's second largest barrier reef, 14 thriving national parks, six world biosphere reserves, and 236 protected areas.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Discover the crystal clear waters of Varadero and slip into total relaxation this summer
- Enjoy a grilled feast with a restaurant on the beach
- Within close proximity to such famous attractions as the Ecological Reserve at Varahicacos
- Close to one of the best windsurfing and kitesurfing spots in Cuba
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...