Increase in demand for travel to Jamaica, according to Expedia
The travel company Expedia has reported an increase in the demand for travel to Jamaica in 2014. According to data from Expedia, the demand for hotels on the tropical Caribbean island has risen by almost 20 per cent in the first six months of this year, compared to the same period in 2013, and the country has recorded more visitors from Brazil, Sweden, Italy and the Netherlands.
More travellers are heading to the Caribbean island of Jamaica, according to data released by Expedia.
The travel company has seen a 20 per cent increase in demand for Jamaica hotels on Expedia.com and Hotels.com, in the first half of 2014.
As well as this increase, the island has seen a 130 per cent rise in demand from travellers from Brazil, nearly 100 per cent from the Netherlands, 95 per cent from Sweden, and 70 per cent from Italy.
Speaking at the JAPEX Tourism conference in Jamaica, Demetrius Canton, the Director of Lodging Partner Services for the Caribbean at Expedia, said:
"Jamaica consistently ranks as one of the Caribbean's leading destinations. We're thrilled that our Jamaican hotel partners continue to report growth and are generating demand via Expedia's latest technologies, powerful marketing platforms and valuable market intelligence."
Jamaica is an island nation located in the Caribbean Sea and one of the world's leading tourist destinations. With vast white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, verdant undulating green hills, and dense forests, travellers will have plenty of opportunities to marvel at the country's stunning natural scenery.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors, a decade ago in 2003.
Popular places to enjoy sun, sand and relaxation on the island include Montego Bay, Negril, and Ocho Rios, each boasting an array of luxury beachfront resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Have a break from the Kids with the adults only pool
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Summer 2018 Sale now extended, save £250 per person
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Enjoy an array of complimentary water sports & unlimited golf with transfers and green fees included
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...