Ahmed Gamal Gabr breaks World Record for deepest scuba dive in Egypt
Ahmed Gamal Gabr has recently broken the world record for the deepest scuba dive in Egypt. The Egyptian diving enthusiast, a member of the Special Forces, dived 332.35 metres in just 12 minutes in the popular Red Sea scuba diving resort of Dahab in Egypt, breaking the existing record made by South Africa's Nuno Gomez in 2005.
An Egyptian member of the Special Forces has broken the world record for the deepest scuba dive.
Last week, Ahmed Gamal Gabr dived 332.35 metres (1,091 feet) below sea level in just 12 minutes in the scuba diving resort of Dahab in Egypt.
Gabr surpassed the existing record of 318.25 metres which was made by South Africa's Nuno Gomez in 2005.
Talal Omar, a Guinness World Records judge, stated:
"I would like to confirm that the record for the deepest scuba dive (male) in Dahab, Egypt was successful and was achieved by Ahmed Gabr."
While it might have only taken 41-year-old Gabr 12 minutes to reach 332.35 metres, it took the scuba diver almost 15 hours to reach the surface where he was aided by a team of hyperbaric doctors as well as French and Egyptian scuba diving specialists. The team created custom-made decompression tables and used more than 60 diving tanks of several gases to keep him alive on the way back.
Like any athlete, Gabr trained for four years, planning his every move and he learned yoga breathing techniques to help slow his heartbeat.
He had a camera fixed with his equipment as he dived and after reaching 100 metres, he left his fellow divers and friends behind as he carried on with his deep descent into the Red Sea.
Dahab is one of leading scuba diving destinations alongside Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, and the coastal town boasts crystal clear ocean waters, fantastic diving sites such as the Canyon, and an array of marine species and stunning reefs that can be found close to the shoreline.
Situated 600 km from Cairo, Dahab is surrounded by stretches of golden sand beaches. The ocean waters are home to "The World's Most Dangerous Diving Site", The Blue Hole, and travellers from all over the world enjoy scuba diving adventures in the Sinai Peninsula every year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Stay in comfortable cabins with air-conditioning and elegant dining rooms
- Benefit from the fabulous view of karnak, valley of the kingsand the temple of Philae
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with all night entertainment like the belly dancing show and other typical Egyptian performances
- Enjoy the large sun deck with loungers and a swimming pool a massage service is also available on the sundeck
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...