Ahmed Gamal Gabr breaks World Record for deepest scuba dive in Egypt
Ahmed Gamal Gabr has recently broken the world record for the deepest scuba dive in Egypt. The Egyptian diving enthusiast, a member of the Special Forces, dived 332.35 metres in just 12 minutes in the popular Red Sea scuba diving resort of Dahab in Egypt, breaking the existing record made by South Africa's Nuno Gomez in 2005.
An Egyptian member of the Special Forces has broken the world record for the deepest scuba dive.
Last week, Ahmed Gamal Gabr dived 332.35 metres (1,091 feet) below sea level in just 12 minutes in the scuba diving resort of Dahab in Egypt.
Gabr surpassed the existing record of 318.25 metres which was made by South Africa's Nuno Gomez in 2005.
Talal Omar, a Guinness World Records judge, stated:
"I would like to confirm that the record for the deepest scuba dive (male) in Dahab, Egypt was successful and was achieved by Ahmed Gabr."
While it might have only taken 41-year-old Gabr 12 minutes to reach 332.35 metres, it took the scuba diver almost 15 hours to reach the surface where he was aided by a team of hyperbaric doctors as well as French and Egyptian scuba diving specialists. The team created custom-made decompression tables and used more than 60 diving tanks of several gases to keep him alive on the way back.
Like any athlete, Gabr trained for four years, planning his every move and he learned yoga breathing techniques to help slow his heartbeat.
He had a camera fixed with his equipment as he dived and after reaching 100 metres, he left his fellow divers and friends behind as he carried on with his deep descent into the Red Sea.
Dahab is one of leading scuba diving destinations alongside Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada, and the coastal town boasts crystal clear ocean waters, fantastic diving sites such as the Canyon, and an array of marine species and stunning reefs that can be found close to the shoreline.
Situated 600 km from Cairo, Dahab is surrounded by stretches of golden sand beaches. The ocean waters are home to "The World's Most Dangerous Diving Site", The Blue Hole, and travellers from all over the world enjoy scuba diving adventures in the Sinai Peninsula every year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Have fun in the sun, dive in the underwater gardens of the Red Sea and enjoy a myriad of activities for the whole family
- Great family resort with plenty of activities
- Only 5 minutes away from Sharm El Sheikh International Airport
- Enjoy astonishing variety of fish and marine life of the Red Sea
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort nestles into a dramatic headland overlooking the Ras Mohammed National Park. This...