Whale watching tourism in Costa Rica sees significant growth
Recent figures, confirmed by Costa Rica's Institute for Tourism, show a tripling of the number of holidaymakers who have visited Costa Rica for whale watching. This significant increase not only highlights the importance of whale tourism, but also underscores Costa Rica's formidable position in the eco-friendly holidays market.
Whale watching is fast becoming one of the key pull factors for travellers when booking their holidays in Costa Rica. Recent figures, puts the number of travellers who visited Costa Rica in 2013 to witness the majestic hump back whales in action at 131,373.
This figure, which has been verified by Costa Rica's Institute for Tourism (ICT), is a significant improvement over the 43 302 recorded in 2010. With the number of visitors tripling in just three short years, there is little doubt as to the potential whale watching holds, especially as Costa Rica aims to continuously strengthen its position within the eco friendly holidays market.
"For us, conservation is great business. It allows us to generate resources for the community and for new businesses to grow and thrive."
Noted Fernando Guerrero from the Association of Tourism Operators in Bahia Ballena.
In fact, Bahia Ballena is one community in Costa Rica that recognizes the importance of developing Costa Rica's whale tourism industry sustainably with 90 per cent of the community's economy dependent on whale watching, including; local hotels, restaurants, local artists and craftsmen and even transport services.
As part of their efforts to continuously develop an eco friendly approach to whale tourism, Mr. Guerrero and his organization recently held the 6th annual Dolphin and Whale Festival aimed at spreading awareness and promoting non-lethal treatment of dolphins and whales.
Costa Rica is fortunate enough to be the only country to welcome not just one but two distinct populations of the humpback whale to its waters, one coming from Baja California to Guanacaste typically in the months between December and March and the second coming from Antarctica to Osa during the July to October period.
In addition to visiting Costa Rica for the once in a lifetime opportunity to see the humpback whales, eco tourism enthusiasts will be pleased to learn that Costa Rica has a lot more to offer with an estimated one third of its land designated national parks and reserves. The Arenal Volcano National Park, the Tortuguero National Park and the Monteverde Cloud Forest Biological Reserve are just some of the destinations that make Costa Rica the top choice not only for whale watching but also for an unforgettable nature filled holiday.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Go for the thrills and spills of a naturally rich Central American nation, packed with unforgettable adventures and unique encounters.
- Elegant and comfortable accommodations with quality services that will make your trip an unforgettable experience
- Learn more about Costa Rica with unique experience of the guided hiking tour, Arenal Volcano National Park Nature Walk, Doka Coffee Tour and much more to explore
- Includes a guided hiking tour through the rainforest with a lot of insight about flora, fauna and the volcano's history
Admire Costa Rica's cloud rainforest, climb a volcano, explore verdant grounds on a coffee plantation and relax on a beautiful beach at the end of it all
- Enjoy a coffee tour, witness an active volcano and bathe on the Pacific coast
- Experience Arenal Volcano with its rich fauna and flora
- Relax and enjoy a beach retreat at Guanacaste after your amazing tour
Surrounding the resort is an up-and-coming surf community, which offers guests with a variety of exciting tours and excursions
- Book in any Preferred Club Room and receive the Free to Explore package including a Nicaragua Tour and Much more
- Spoil yourself with Unlimited-Luxury, where everything is included such as: gourmet dining options, limitless top-shelf spirits, 24-hour room service and much more
- Both kids and teens can mingle at our Explorers Club for kids and Core Zone for teens, while adults can relax by the poolside, enjoy a romantic dinner by the beach or unwind at Dreams Spa by Pevonia.
- Perfect location to enjoy nature at its finest
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...