"Friends of Jazz" to meet in Santiago de Cuba
Hosted by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) the new Friends of Jazz event will be gathering Cuba's most celebrated Jazz musicians who will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba, from 26th to 28th September this week, as announced by the organisation's local representative, Rodulfo Vaillant Garcia.
Calling all Jazz lovers and fans who are heading to Cuba this week (or who are lucky enough to already be enjoying holidays in the island). By the end of this week, some of Cuba's most acclaimed Jazz performers will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba to attend the third edition of Friends of Jazz, an annual event held by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC).
The hot date on the calendar when this event will be unfolding is from 26th to 28th September, which means we're just days away from a dazzling show of excellent Jazz performances.
Some of the performers that have confirmed attendance include Alfred Thomson and his quintet, Jose Luis Quintana (Changuito) and Cuban showman Bobby Carcasses, who will also be joined by local Jazz groups Influencias, Formas and Ivan Acosta with his group, Cuba Somos.
The event will be celebrated across various venues in Santiago de Cuba during the three-day festival. These include Patio de la Jutia Conga and the Iris Jazz Club in Plaza de Marte, which will both act as the main stages.
As well as the various music performances, conferences for Jazz students of the Conservatorio Esteban Salas and the Instituto Superior del Arte will take place on various dates. These academies in Santiago are known for having a high number of young Jazzists.
Other attendees that will perform include the Maracuya group from Camaguey, and Marcos and his threesome, from Palma Soriano.
Despite the fact that Cuba's Jazz movement is strongest in Havana, many historians argue that its popularity kick-stared in Santiago de Cuba, brought by black American soldiers that participated in the Hispanic-Cuban-American war.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...