"Friends of Jazz" to meet in Santiago de Cuba
Hosted by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) the new Friends of Jazz event will be gathering Cuba's most celebrated Jazz musicians who will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba, from 26th to 28th September this week, as announced by the organisation's local representative, Rodulfo Vaillant Garcia.
Calling all Jazz lovers and fans who are heading to Cuba this week (or who are lucky enough to already be enjoying holidays in the island). By the end of this week, some of Cuba's most acclaimed Jazz performers will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba to attend the third edition of Friends of Jazz, an annual event held by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC).
The hot date on the calendar when this event will be unfolding is from 26th to 28th September, which means we're just days away from a dazzling show of excellent Jazz performances.
Some of the performers that have confirmed attendance include Alfred Thomson and his quintet, Jose Luis Quintana (Changuito) and Cuban showman Bobby Carcasses, who will also be joined by local Jazz groups Influencias, Formas and Ivan Acosta with his group, Cuba Somos.
The event will be celebrated across various venues in Santiago de Cuba during the three-day festival. These include Patio de la Jutia Conga and the Iris Jazz Club in Plaza de Marte, which will both act as the main stages.
As well as the various music performances, conferences for Jazz students of the Conservatorio Esteban Salas and the Instituto Superior del Arte will take place on various dates. These academies in Santiago are known for having a high number of young Jazzists.
Other attendees that will perform include the Maracuya group from Camaguey, and Marcos and his threesome, from Palma Soriano.
Despite the fact that Cuba's Jazz movement is strongest in Havana, many historians argue that its popularity kick-stared in Santiago de Cuba, brought by black American soldiers that participated in the Hispanic-Cuban-American war.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...