"Friends of Jazz" to meet in Santiago de Cuba
Hosted by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) the new Friends of Jazz event will be gathering Cuba's most celebrated Jazz musicians who will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba, from 26th to 28th September this week, as announced by the organisation's local representative, Rodulfo Vaillant Garcia.
Calling all Jazz lovers and fans who are heading to Cuba this week (or who are lucky enough to already be enjoying holidays in the island). By the end of this week, some of Cuba's most acclaimed Jazz performers will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba to attend the third edition of Friends of Jazz, an annual event held by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC).
The hot date on the calendar when this event will be unfolding is from 26th to 28th September, which means we're just days away from a dazzling show of excellent Jazz performances.
Some of the performers that have confirmed attendance include Alfred Thomson and his quintet, Jose Luis Quintana (Changuito) and Cuban showman Bobby Carcasses, who will also be joined by local Jazz groups Influencias, Formas and Ivan Acosta with his group, Cuba Somos.
The event will be celebrated across various venues in Santiago de Cuba during the three-day festival. These include Patio de la Jutia Conga and the Iris Jazz Club in Plaza de Marte, which will both act as the main stages.
As well as the various music performances, conferences for Jazz students of the Conservatorio Esteban Salas and the Instituto Superior del Arte will take place on various dates. These academies in Santiago are known for having a high number of young Jazzists.
Other attendees that will perform include the Maracuya group from Camaguey, and Marcos and his threesome, from Palma Soriano.
Despite the fact that Cuba's Jazz movement is strongest in Havana, many historians argue that its popularity kick-stared in Santiago de Cuba, brought by black American soldiers that participated in the Hispanic-Cuban-American war.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...