"Friends of Jazz" to meet in Santiago de Cuba
Hosted by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC) the new Friends of Jazz event will be gathering Cuba's most celebrated Jazz musicians who will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba, from 26th to 28th September this week, as announced by the organisation's local representative, Rodulfo Vaillant Garcia.
Calling all Jazz lovers and fans who are heading to Cuba this week (or who are lucky enough to already be enjoying holidays in the island). By the end of this week, some of Cuba's most acclaimed Jazz performers will be meeting in Santiago de Cuba to attend the third edition of Friends of Jazz, an annual event held by the Union of Writers and Artists of Cuba (UNEAC).
The hot date on the calendar when this event will be unfolding is from 26th to 28th September, which means we're just days away from a dazzling show of excellent Jazz performances.
Some of the performers that have confirmed attendance include Alfred Thomson and his quintet, Jose Luis Quintana (Changuito) and Cuban showman Bobby Carcasses, who will also be joined by local Jazz groups Influencias, Formas and Ivan Acosta with his group, Cuba Somos.
The event will be celebrated across various venues in Santiago de Cuba during the three-day festival. These include Patio de la Jutia Conga and the Iris Jazz Club in Plaza de Marte, which will both act as the main stages.
As well as the various music performances, conferences for Jazz students of the Conservatorio Esteban Salas and the Instituto Superior del Arte will take place on various dates. These academies in Santiago are known for having a high number of young Jazzists.
Other attendees that will perform include the Maracuya group from Camaguey, and Marcos and his threesome, from Palma Soriano.
Despite the fact that Cuba's Jazz movement is strongest in Havana, many historians argue that its popularity kick-stared in Santiago de Cuba, brought by black American soldiers that participated in the Hispanic-Cuban-American war.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...