Varadero got ready to "Clean the World" with eco-programme
Last Monday 15th September, tourism workers in the popular beach resort of Varadero took an initiative to clean the 20 kilometre of coastline fringing the dozens of hotels that line up this popular tourist destination.
Under an eco-programme called "Clean Up the World" pushed forward by the UN, many volunteers recently gathered in Varadero at the start of this week (an estimated 20,000 hotel workers and their families) to carry out several cleaning activities throughout this very long white sandy beach.
According to Ivis Fernandez, head of Cuba's Ministry of Tourism in the province of Matanzas, the primary tourist resort in the island, receiving over 100,000 bathers each day, this environmental initiative was done whilst causing minimal disruption to all of the hotels' facilities and services.
About 70 per cent of Varadero's hotels and resorts are four and five stars properties which receive a third of all tourists taking Cuba holidays each year.
Of the recent clean-up action, Ms Fernadez said:
"There are different the projects in which the State invests to care the dune and water. The use of materials and human resources must be backed by ecological social behaviour."
Located in the Hicacos peninsula, Varadero is found some 140 kilometres east of Havana, approximately an hour and a half's drive from the capital. The most famous beach resort has a total of 50 hotels at present.
According to details revealed by Cuba's Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (CITMA), Monday's actions targeted both the sand dunes and the seabed.
Dubbed "La Playa Azul" (Blue Beach), this long beach has successfully engaged locals in this environmental project since 2004, including community members and hotel industry workers in the area.
Clean Up the World is a community-based, environmental campaign created to empower and inspire communities around the world to devote time and efforts to protecting the environment and preserving the ecosystem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...