Varadero got ready to "Clean the World" with eco-programme
Last Monday 15th September, tourism workers in the popular beach resort of Varadero took an initiative to clean the 20 kilometre of coastline fringing the dozens of hotels that line up this popular tourist destination.
Under an eco-programme called "Clean Up the World" pushed forward by the UN, many volunteers recently gathered in Varadero at the start of this week (an estimated 20,000 hotel workers and their families) to carry out several cleaning activities throughout this very long white sandy beach.
According to Ivis Fernandez, head of Cuba's Ministry of Tourism in the province of Matanzas, the primary tourist resort in the island, receiving over 100,000 bathers each day, this environmental initiative was done whilst causing minimal disruption to all of the hotels' facilities and services.
About 70 per cent of Varadero's hotels and resorts are four and five stars properties which receive a third of all tourists taking Cuba holidays each year.
Of the recent clean-up action, Ms Fernadez said:
"There are different the projects in which the State invests to care the dune and water. The use of materials and human resources must be backed by ecological social behaviour."
Located in the Hicacos peninsula, Varadero is found some 140 kilometres east of Havana, approximately an hour and a half's drive from the capital. The most famous beach resort has a total of 50 hotels at present.
According to details revealed by Cuba's Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (CITMA), Monday's actions targeted both the sand dunes and the seabed.
Dubbed "La Playa Azul" (Blue Beach), this long beach has successfully engaged locals in this environmental project since 2004, including community members and hotel industry workers in the area.
Clean Up the World is a community-based, environmental campaign created to empower and inspire communities around the world to devote time and efforts to protecting the environment and preserving the ecosystem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...