Varadero got ready to "Clean the World" with eco-programme
Last Monday 15th September, tourism workers in the popular beach resort of Varadero took an initiative to clean the 20 kilometre of coastline fringing the dozens of hotels that line up this popular tourist destination.
Under an eco-programme called "Clean Up the World" pushed forward by the UN, many volunteers recently gathered in Varadero at the start of this week (an estimated 20,000 hotel workers and their families) to carry out several cleaning activities throughout this very long white sandy beach.
According to Ivis Fernandez, head of Cuba's Ministry of Tourism in the province of Matanzas, the primary tourist resort in the island, receiving over 100,000 bathers each day, this environmental initiative was done whilst causing minimal disruption to all of the hotels' facilities and services.
About 70 per cent of Varadero's hotels and resorts are four and five stars properties which receive a third of all tourists taking Cuba holidays each year.
Of the recent clean-up action, Ms Fernadez said:
"There are different the projects in which the State invests to care the dune and water. The use of materials and human resources must be backed by ecological social behaviour."
Located in the Hicacos peninsula, Varadero is found some 140 kilometres east of Havana, approximately an hour and a half's drive from the capital. The most famous beach resort has a total of 50 hotels at present.
According to details revealed by Cuba's Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (CITMA), Monday's actions targeted both the sand dunes and the seabed.
Dubbed "La Playa Azul" (Blue Beach), this long beach has successfully engaged locals in this environmental project since 2004, including community members and hotel industry workers in the area.
Clean Up the World is a community-based, environmental campaign created to empower and inspire communities around the world to devote time and efforts to protecting the environment and preserving the ecosystem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...