Varadero got ready to "Clean the World" with eco-programme
Last Monday 15th September, tourism workers in the popular beach resort of Varadero took an initiative to clean the 20 kilometre of coastline fringing the dozens of hotels that line up this popular tourist destination.
Under an eco-programme called "Clean Up the World" pushed forward by the UN, many volunteers recently gathered in Varadero at the start of this week (an estimated 20,000 hotel workers and their families) to carry out several cleaning activities throughout this very long white sandy beach.
According to Ivis Fernandez, head of Cuba's Ministry of Tourism in the province of Matanzas, the primary tourist resort in the island, receiving over 100,000 bathers each day, this environmental initiative was done whilst causing minimal disruption to all of the hotels' facilities and services.
About 70 per cent of Varadero's hotels and resorts are four and five stars properties which receive a third of all tourists taking Cuba holidays each year.
Of the recent clean-up action, Ms Fernadez said:
"There are different the projects in which the State invests to care the dune and water. The use of materials and human resources must be backed by ecological social behaviour."
Located in the Hicacos peninsula, Varadero is found some 140 kilometres east of Havana, approximately an hour and a half's drive from the capital. The most famous beach resort has a total of 50 hotels at present.
According to details revealed by Cuba's Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (CITMA), Monday's actions targeted both the sand dunes and the seabed.
Dubbed "La Playa Azul" (Blue Beach), this long beach has successfully engaged locals in this environmental project since 2004, including community members and hotel industry workers in the area.
Clean Up the World is a community-based, environmental campaign created to empower and inspire communities around the world to devote time and efforts to protecting the environment and preserving the ecosystem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...