Varadero got ready to "Clean the World" with eco-programme
Last Monday 15th September, tourism workers in the popular beach resort of Varadero took an initiative to clean the 20 kilometre of coastline fringing the dozens of hotels that line up this popular tourist destination.
Under an eco-programme called "Clean Up the World" pushed forward by the UN, many volunteers recently gathered in Varadero at the start of this week (an estimated 20,000 hotel workers and their families) to carry out several cleaning activities throughout this very long white sandy beach.
According to Ivis Fernandez, head of Cuba's Ministry of Tourism in the province of Matanzas, the primary tourist resort in the island, receiving over 100,000 bathers each day, this environmental initiative was done whilst causing minimal disruption to all of the hotels' facilities and services.
About 70 per cent of Varadero's hotels and resorts are four and five stars properties which receive a third of all tourists taking Cuba holidays each year.
Of the recent clean-up action, Ms Fernadez said:
"There are different the projects in which the State invests to care the dune and water. The use of materials and human resources must be backed by ecological social behaviour."
Located in the Hicacos peninsula, Varadero is found some 140 kilometres east of Havana, approximately an hour and a half's drive from the capital. The most famous beach resort has a total of 50 hotels at present.
According to details revealed by Cuba's Ministry of Science, Technology and Environment (CITMA), Monday's actions targeted both the sand dunes and the seabed.
Dubbed "La Playa Azul" (Blue Beach), this long beach has successfully engaged locals in this environmental project since 2004, including community members and hotel industry workers in the area.
Clean Up the World is a community-based, environmental campaign created to empower and inspire communities around the world to devote time and efforts to protecting the environment and preserving the ecosystem.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...