Ohio photographer exhibits her Cuban collection in Brooklyn
A young, Ohio-born and New York based photographer will be exhibiting her collection of Cuba photographs next Saturday, 13th September 2014 at the Lark Cafe in Brooklyn. Hers is a very personal portrayal of recent Cuba that gives an "Intimate Glimpse into Un-sensationalized Realities" as the collection is entitled.
Hannah Berkeley Cohen, a former student of the University of Pittsburgh who graduated in Philosphy and Politics, is to soon publish her own collection of photographs that she took during her travels to Cuba, a unique piece of work that portrays and documents the youth of modern Cuba.
Entitled: "Cuba: Intimate Glimpse into Un-sensationalize Realities" the aim of this work of art is to tell the stories of different individuals, their daily lives and how sometimes they stand in stark contrast to one another. They document the daily realities of students, artists, dreamers and parents. Each of these persons leads a very different life and as such their opinions about their own country vary accordingly depending on their personal experience.
Offering a unique glimpse into the struggles and successes of real Cubans, these photographs are sometimes a direct reflection of the society that surrounds them, or so believes the author of this work, according to how Hannah herself describes it on her own website, Cuba Rising.
The exhibit will be showcased tomorrow 13th September in New York's Lark Cafe in Brooklyn from 7 to 9 p.m. and Hannah's formal invitation goes as follows:
"Come ready to meet like-minded people who have a vested interest in a plausible and positive future for Cuba. In attendance will be fellow photographers, economists, journalists, and perhaps even a few policy makers, all of whom are genuinely interested in the realities of modern-day Cuba and its transition in a somewhat unknown trajectory."
This work is the result of Hannah's dedicated personal investment in documenting the evolution of Cuban youth over the past few years. As well as photographing their stories, she also writes about what the future of Cuba may look like and tries to push for more Americans to travel to the island under the "People-to-People" license and learn about their enigmatic and often controversial neighbour.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...