Ohio photographer exhibits her Cuban collection in Brooklyn
A young, Ohio-born and New York based photographer will be exhibiting her collection of Cuba photographs next Saturday, 13th September 2014 at the Lark Cafe in Brooklyn. Hers is a very personal portrayal of recent Cuba that gives an "Intimate Glimpse into Un-sensationalized Realities" as the collection is entitled.
Hannah Berkeley Cohen, a former student of the University of Pittsburgh who graduated in Philosphy and Politics, is to soon publish her own collection of photographs that she took during her travels to Cuba, a unique piece of work that portrays and documents the youth of modern Cuba.
Entitled: "Cuba: Intimate Glimpse into Un-sensationalize Realities" the aim of this work of art is to tell the stories of different individuals, their daily lives and how sometimes they stand in stark contrast to one another. They document the daily realities of students, artists, dreamers and parents. Each of these persons leads a very different life and as such their opinions about their own country vary accordingly depending on their personal experience.
Offering a unique glimpse into the struggles and successes of real Cubans, these photographs are sometimes a direct reflection of the society that surrounds them, or so believes the author of this work, according to how Hannah herself describes it on her own website, Cuba Rising.
The exhibit will be showcased tomorrow 13th September in New York's Lark Cafe in Brooklyn from 7 to 9 p.m. and Hannah's formal invitation goes as follows:
"Come ready to meet like-minded people who have a vested interest in a plausible and positive future for Cuba. In attendance will be fellow photographers, economists, journalists, and perhaps even a few policy makers, all of whom are genuinely interested in the realities of modern-day Cuba and its transition in a somewhat unknown trajectory."
This work is the result of Hannah's dedicated personal investment in documenting the evolution of Cuban youth over the past few years. As well as photographing their stories, she also writes about what the future of Cuba may look like and tries to push for more Americans to travel to the island under the "People-to-People" license and learn about their enigmatic and often controversial neighbour.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...