Ohio photographer exhibits her Cuban collection in Brooklyn
A young, Ohio-born and New York based photographer will be exhibiting her collection of Cuba photographs next Saturday, 13th September 2014 at the Lark Cafe in Brooklyn. Hers is a very personal portrayal of recent Cuba that gives an "Intimate Glimpse into Un-sensationalized Realities" as the collection is entitled.
Hannah Berkeley Cohen, a former student of the University of Pittsburgh who graduated in Philosphy and Politics, is to soon publish her own collection of photographs that she took during her travels to Cuba, a unique piece of work that portrays and documents the youth of modern Cuba.
Entitled: "Cuba: Intimate Glimpse into Un-sensationalize Realities" the aim of this work of art is to tell the stories of different individuals, their daily lives and how sometimes they stand in stark contrast to one another. They document the daily realities of students, artists, dreamers and parents. Each of these persons leads a very different life and as such their opinions about their own country vary accordingly depending on their personal experience.
Offering a unique glimpse into the struggles and successes of real Cubans, these photographs are sometimes a direct reflection of the society that surrounds them, or so believes the author of this work, according to how Hannah herself describes it on her own website, Cuba Rising.
The exhibit will be showcased tomorrow 13th September in New York's Lark Cafe in Brooklyn from 7 to 9 p.m. and Hannah's formal invitation goes as follows:
"Come ready to meet like-minded people who have a vested interest in a plausible and positive future for Cuba. In attendance will be fellow photographers, economists, journalists, and perhaps even a few policy makers, all of whom are genuinely interested in the realities of modern-day Cuba and its transition in a somewhat unknown trajectory."
This work is the result of Hannah's dedicated personal investment in documenting the evolution of Cuban youth over the past few years. As well as photographing their stories, she also writes about what the future of Cuba may look like and tries to push for more Americans to travel to the island under the "People-to-People" license and learn about their enigmatic and often controversial neighbour.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...