British Airways jets set for an upgrade
British Airways plans to upgrade part of its Boeing 747 fleet to improve in-flight entertainment, bolster customer comfort and give its cabins a fresher look. The refit, due to take place next year, will bring the planes up-to-date with the airlines newer aircraft.
British Airways has announced that part of its Boeing 747 fleet will receive a cabin refresh, including improved in-flight entertainment and more comfortable seats.
A state-of-the-art Panasonic eX3 entertainment system will be installed on 18 747s from August 2015, giving travellers access to double the choice of films and television programmes. On board flights, passengers will have access to more 130 movies and 400 television shows on larger hi-resolution touch screens.
As part of the refit, every seat in World Traveller Plus will have access to a universal power socket and World Traveller customers will have a personal USB socket to charge phones and tablets. Richard D'Cruze, British Airways' in-flight entertainment and technology manager, commented:
"We know that in-flight entertainment is really important to our customers - being able to relax and watch a film or listen to music helps customers to pass the time enjoyably - so by installing this state-of-the-art equipment we will be able to deliver even more programming on board."
The cabin refit will include refreshed interiors with new fabrics, carpets and curtains. British Airways also plans to replace the cushioning and foams in World Traveller and World Traveller Plus seats, making them more comfortable for customers.
The upgrade, which will be carried out by British Airways' engineers in Cardiff, will bring the 747s more into line with the airline's newest aircraft.
British Airways has introduced a number of recent changes to its in-flight entertainment, including the introduction of HBO and the Discovery Channel, as well as a new 'paws and relax' channel showing cute footage of pets to enhance the wellbeing of customers.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Head to Promthep Cape for the most beautiful sunset in Thailand
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
An eco-tourist's dream - embark on an amazing journey of discovery with the perfect combination of comfort and adventure in tropical Costa Rica.
- Explore the amazing country of Costa Rica and discover all it's gems on this in depth tour with a fabulous beach stay
- During this tour you will experience various unique inclusions including a fantastic stay in tented accommodation under the stars in Arenal
- Enjoy various activities and exploration on this holiday including river rafting and much more with various optional tours to add
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...