Barbados's UNESCO-listed garrison unveils historic tunnels
The Garrison Historic Area in Barbados will open a system of secret underground passages to the public next month, adding to its already impressive tourism offering that includes 18th-century military fortifications and George Washington House.
Secret subterranean tunnels carved into Barbados' bedrock 200 years ago will be open to the public for the first time this October. The Garrison Historic Area, which includes George Washington House and an armoury, will unveil the new tourist attraction after recently rediscovering the intriguing system of passages running from beneath the garrison down to Carlisle Bay.
It is believed that British colonial military forces built more than 10,000ft of tunnels in 1816. The narrow arched passages are 12ft high and are believed to have been constructed to strengthen the defence network in case of attack or to act as an escape route for troops. At least one passage leads down to Carlisle Bay where there have been key ports since the 17th century, emerging at the shoreline between the Radisson Aquatica and Hilton hotels.
The final construction of two entrances and the required health and safety checks are currently underway so that a section of the tunnels can be opened to the public next month. Inside, visitors can see fossilized coral and shells in the walls of the underground passages.
The first visitor to be allowed a sneak preview of the tunnels, Sasha Wood, commented:
"People are naturally curious about secret passages and these tunnels add another dimension to the garrison area, making it even more appealing to visitors."
The Barbados Garrison Historic Area is situated in Bush Hill, St Michael Parish, on the west coast of the island. It was inscribed to the UNESCO World Heritage List two years ago for its 'numerous historic buildings'. These include the island's military fortifications, an armoury filled with the world's rarest collection of 17th century cannons, and the house where the original US President, George Washington, resided during a formative stay on the island in 1751. It was the only place Washington ever visited outside the USA.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south cost of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Make the most of a good value for money deal, at a family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , a fashionable and lively strip.
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travelers' Choice Award
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Rostrevor hotel has an easy access to shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
Exclusive added values at the Worthing Court Apartment Hotel, set on the trendy South Coast of Barbados
Relax and enjoy great nightlife on the south coast, stay in a great hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach, where you can choose hassle free accommodation
- Book today and receive a free upgrade to the Junior Suite, free Breakfast and a bottle of Mount Gay Rum
- All the rooms are comfortable and come equipped with air conditioning, daily maid service and a balcony or patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars and night clubs.
Enjoy this all-suite resort's warm service and superb facilities on a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados, the gem of the Caribbean
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Great family resort with excellent kids club and educational marine programme
- Enjoy three onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in a Caribbean...