Barbados's UNESCO-listed garrison unveils historic tunnels
The Garrison Historic Area in Barbados will open a system of secret underground passages to the public next month, adding to its already impressive tourism offering that includes 18th-century military fortifications and George Washington House.
Secret subterranean tunnels carved into Barbados' bedrock 200 years ago will be open to the public for the first time this October. The Garrison Historic Area, which includes George Washington House and an armoury, will unveil the new tourist attraction after recently rediscovering the intriguing system of passages running from beneath the garrison down to Carlisle Bay.
It is believed that British colonial military forces built more than 10,000ft of tunnels in 1816. The narrow arched passages are 12ft high and are believed to have been constructed to strengthen the defence network in case of attack or to act as an escape route for troops. At least one passage leads down to Carlisle Bay where there have been key ports since the 17th century, emerging at the shoreline between the Radisson Aquatica and Hilton hotels.
The final construction of two entrances and the required health and safety checks are currently underway so that a section of the tunnels can be opened to the public next month. Inside, visitors can see fossilized coral and shells in the walls of the underground passages.
The first visitor to be allowed a sneak preview of the tunnels, Sasha Wood, commented:
"People are naturally curious about secret passages and these tunnels add another dimension to the garrison area, making it even more appealing to visitors."
The Barbados Garrison Historic Area is situated in Bush Hill, St Michael Parish, on the west coast of the island. It was inscribed to the UNESCO World Heritage List two years ago for its 'numerous historic buildings'. These include the island's military fortifications, an armoury filled with the world's rarest collection of 17th century cannons, and the house where the original US President, George Washington, resided during a formative stay on the island in 1751. It was the only place Washington ever visited outside the USA.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Sugar Bay is perfect for travelling solo, enjoying a romantic getaway or special family escape
- Premium All Inclusive hotel with a selection of dining options including a Steakhouse
- Enjoy a Hot Summer now on with savings of upto 40% plus $20 Spa Credit per person
- Ideally located only 15 minutes from the airport and 10 minutes from the capital, Bridgetown
- Enjoy a wide selection of activities including beach volleyball, wind surfing, jet skis, sailing and more
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Save up to 50% off with the May FLASH SALE
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...