New cultural attraction opens in Jamaica's Montego Bay
Jamaica's main tourism mecca, Montego Bay, has opened a new cultural centre and museum in the heart of the city. Following investment from Jamaica's Tourism Enhancement Fund, the centre is set to become a major cultural attraction breathing new life into downtown Montego Bay and revitalizing tourism in the area.
A new cultural centre and museum has opened in Jamaica's tourism capital, Montego Bay, following $30 million investment in the area by the country's Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF). The centre houses an art gallery, museum, artisan village, performing arts space, bistro and gift shop and is set to be a major cultural attraction drawing visitors to the heart of the city.
Situated in historic Sam Sharpe Square, the new centre showcases the island's culture and history from the Arawak era to the present day, with multidimensional exhibits, local arts and crafts, music and dance performances and cultural events. The large Georgian-style building used to house the Montego Bay Civic Centre and stands on the site of the city's old courthouse where Jamaican national hero Sam Sharpe stood trial for leading slave rebellions in 1831-32.
Jamaica's Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Dr. Wykeham McNeill, who opened the facility, said the initiative to transform the former civic centre was visionary. He said:
"Discussions are already underway involving the parish council, the TEF, owners of businesses in the area and other stakeholders to transform Sam Sharpe Square into the architectural jewel I know it has the potential to become."
Local Government and Community Development Minister, Noel Arscott, said the opening of the facility is of major significance, not only to the creative arts sector, but to the overall development of Montego Bay. He noted that the centre will act as cultural hub giving rise to more major events being held in the city.
Jamaica's second largest city, Montego Bay's coast is dotted with dozens of beach resorts and has long been the island's main tourism mecca. But in recent years it has lost out in popularity to other resorts on the island such as Negril and Ocho Rios. According to the TEF, the investment is intended to "breathe new life into downtown Montego Bay" and revitalize tourism in the area.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...