New cultural attraction opens in Jamaica's Montego Bay
Jamaica's main tourism mecca, Montego Bay, has opened a new cultural centre and museum in the heart of the city. Following investment from Jamaica's Tourism Enhancement Fund, the centre is set to become a major cultural attraction breathing new life into downtown Montego Bay and revitalizing tourism in the area.
A new cultural centre and museum has opened in Jamaica's tourism capital, Montego Bay, following $30 million investment in the area by the country's Tourism Enhancement Fund (TEF). The centre houses an art gallery, museum, artisan village, performing arts space, bistro and gift shop and is set to be a major cultural attraction drawing visitors to the heart of the city.
Situated in historic Sam Sharpe Square, the new centre showcases the island's culture and history from the Arawak era to the present day, with multidimensional exhibits, local arts and crafts, music and dance performances and cultural events. The large Georgian-style building used to house the Montego Bay Civic Centre and stands on the site of the city's old courthouse where Jamaican national hero Sam Sharpe stood trial for leading slave rebellions in 1831-32.
Jamaica's Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Dr. Wykeham McNeill, who opened the facility, said the initiative to transform the former civic centre was visionary. He said:
"Discussions are already underway involving the parish council, the TEF, owners of businesses in the area and other stakeholders to transform Sam Sharpe Square into the architectural jewel I know it has the potential to become."
Local Government and Community Development Minister, Noel Arscott, said the opening of the facility is of major significance, not only to the creative arts sector, but to the overall development of Montego Bay. He noted that the centre will act as cultural hub giving rise to more major events being held in the city.
Jamaica's second largest city, Montego Bay's coast is dotted with dozens of beach resorts and has long been the island's main tourism mecca. But in recent years it has lost out in popularity to other resorts on the island such as Negril and Ocho Rios. According to the TEF, the investment is intended to "breathe new life into downtown Montego Bay" and revitalize tourism in the area.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...