Montego Bay in Jamaica opens new cultural centre
The Cultural Centre was officially opened in Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay, Jamaica recently by the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill. The facility was formerly the Montego Bay Civic Centre and after major refurbishments, it has performing arts space, an artisan village, a museum, an art gallery, a gift shop, and a bistro.
Montego Bay recently celebrated the opening of its brand new Cultural Centre in Sam Sharpe Square.
The facility in the city in Jamaica was officially opened by Wykeham McNeill, the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, and it boasts a museum, space for performing arts, a gift shop, an art gallery, a bistro and an artisan village.
Formerly the Montego Bay Civic Centre, the facility was transformed during an extensive refurbishment programme aided by the Tourism Enhancement Fund.
The project was a joint effort by TEF, the St. James Parish Council, the Tourism Product Development Company, the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and the Urban Development Corporation. Minister McNeill explained:
"The Tourism Enhancement Fund has been dedicated to fulfilling its mission of promoting growth and development in the tourism sector, recognising that tourism does not exist in a vacuum, but is closely linked to various other sectors important to national development, and improving the quality of life of Jamaicans."
The Minister added that so far, the TEF has contributed $109 million towards refurbishing the cultural centre. He urged the people of Montego Bay to protect it because it belongs to them.
Montego Bay is Jamaica's second city located on the north coast of the tropical island. Tourists can enjoy beautiful white sand beaches, luxury all inclusive beachfront hotels and resorts, sparkling azure lagoons, bustling craft markets, and shops in the town centre, and historic sites and attractions.
Jamaica is a stunning island country located in the Caribbean Sea, boasting pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and verdant rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Discounted rates available for 2018 available for a limited time!
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Nestled upon a stunning beach The Rondel Village Hotel is within close proximity to the entertainment and activities...
Located in New Kingston, the Knutsford Court Hotel offers a laidback atmosphere within a beautiful tropical setting....