Montego Bay in Jamaica opens new cultural centre
The Cultural Centre was officially opened in Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay, Jamaica recently by the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill. The facility was formerly the Montego Bay Civic Centre and after major refurbishments, it has performing arts space, an artisan village, a museum, an art gallery, a gift shop, and a bistro.
Montego Bay recently celebrated the opening of its brand new Cultural Centre in Sam Sharpe Square.
The facility in the city in Jamaica was officially opened by Wykeham McNeill, the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, and it boasts a museum, space for performing arts, a gift shop, an art gallery, a bistro and an artisan village.
Formerly the Montego Bay Civic Centre, the facility was transformed during an extensive refurbishment programme aided by the Tourism Enhancement Fund.
The project was a joint effort by TEF, the St. James Parish Council, the Tourism Product Development Company, the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and the Urban Development Corporation. Minister McNeill explained:
"The Tourism Enhancement Fund has been dedicated to fulfilling its mission of promoting growth and development in the tourism sector, recognising that tourism does not exist in a vacuum, but is closely linked to various other sectors important to national development, and improving the quality of life of Jamaicans."
The Minister added that so far, the TEF has contributed $109 million towards refurbishing the cultural centre. He urged the people of Montego Bay to protect it because it belongs to them.
Montego Bay is Jamaica's second city located on the north coast of the tropical island. Tourists can enjoy beautiful white sand beaches, luxury all inclusive beachfront hotels and resorts, sparkling azure lagoons, bustling craft markets, and shops in the town centre, and historic sites and attractions.
Jamaica is a stunning island country located in the Caribbean Sea, boasting pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and verdant rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Travel this Winter and receive exclusive Resort Coupons to use on Spa Treatments, Wine and a Romantic Dinner
- Premium All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...