Montego Bay in Jamaica opens new cultural centre
The Cultural Centre was officially opened in Sam Sharpe Square in Montego Bay, Jamaica recently by the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, Wykeham McNeill. The facility was formerly the Montego Bay Civic Centre and after major refurbishments, it has performing arts space, an artisan village, a museum, an art gallery, a gift shop, and a bistro.
Montego Bay recently celebrated the opening of its brand new Cultural Centre in Sam Sharpe Square.
The facility in the city in Jamaica was officially opened by Wykeham McNeill, the Minister of Tourism and Entertainment, and it boasts a museum, space for performing arts, a gift shop, an art gallery, a bistro and an artisan village.
Formerly the Montego Bay Civic Centre, the facility was transformed during an extensive refurbishment programme aided by the Tourism Enhancement Fund.
The project was a joint effort by TEF, the St. James Parish Council, the Tourism Product Development Company, the Montego Bay Chamber of Commerce and Industry, and the Urban Development Corporation. Minister McNeill explained:
"The Tourism Enhancement Fund has been dedicated to fulfilling its mission of promoting growth and development in the tourism sector, recognising that tourism does not exist in a vacuum, but is closely linked to various other sectors important to national development, and improving the quality of life of Jamaicans."
The Minister added that so far, the TEF has contributed $109 million towards refurbishing the cultural centre. He urged the people of Montego Bay to protect it because it belongs to them.
Montego Bay is Jamaica's second city located on the north coast of the tropical island. Tourists can enjoy beautiful white sand beaches, luxury all inclusive beachfront hotels and resorts, sparkling azure lagoons, bustling craft markets, and shops in the town centre, and historic sites and attractions.
Jamaica is a stunning island country located in the Caribbean Sea, boasting pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and verdant rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the majestic Blue Mountains.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- Take advantage of this amazing free kids offer - Up to two kids stay free when sharing with two paying adults
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Enjoy a blissful escape to this amazing five star hotel offering endless privileges steps from the Caribbean Sea
- Stay at the unique beach front Zoetry Montego Bay with Endless Privileges
- If you wish to get out and about from the resort then there is a complimentary shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping Arcade
- All Suites include dedicated butler service. This personalized service is at no extra cost
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...