Dubai promotes family travel as visitor numbers peak
Dubai positions itself as a 'must-visit family destination' and welcomes record numbers of tourists for the first half of this year. Tourism officials in the emirate say this is due to their ever-increasing hotel portfolio to appeal and cater to a broader range of visitors as well as their diversification of tourism products and unique attractions.
Dubai intends to drive growth in tourism by positioning itself as a "must-experience family destination", according to Director General of Dubai's Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing Helal Saeed Almarri.
His comments came after the government department published figures revealing record visitor numbers to the country in the first half of this year. Saeed explained:
"We are constantly diversifying our tourism offering and increasing our hotel portfolio to attract, and cater to, a broader market of visitors."
Hotels are helping to enhance the appeal of Dubai as a family holiday destination by offering excellent kids clubs and entertainment programs, with Ritz-Carlton Hotels introducing the Ritz Kids program earlier this year, for instance. Elsewhere, Dubai's family tourism offering includes the popular Aquaventure water theme park, and Magic Planet, an enormous indoor family entertainment centre.
More than 5.8 million people travelled to Dubai during the first six months of 2014, which is the highest number of visitors to the country ever recorded. The Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) reported increases across key indicators including the number of hotel guests and hotel room revenues.
Saeed also explained:
"The figures for the first half of 2014 are encouraging and we continue to build on this growth to ensure a successful second half of the year.
"In addition to the increase in hotel guest numbers, since the end of June 2013, Dubai has added more than 7,000 hotel rooms to its inventory, with the total now standing at 88,680 across 634 establishments."
Total hotel revenues for the first half of 2014 showed significant growth, up 10.9% on the previous year.
The average length of stay for visitors to Dubai has also been steadily increasing as the country strives to become more than a stop-over or short break destination. Travellers now stay for an average of 3.9 days, with the length of stay increasing to 3.4 days for hotels, and 5.7 days for hotel apartments in 2014.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The palatial design is just the start of this luxury resort, a perfect place to escape from the dark, cold winters.
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE half board upgrade
- Fully rejuvenate with an authentic Ottoman Spa that extends over 8,000 sq. metres and features 42 individual spa rooms and suites, as well as indoor swimming pool and Turkish Hammans
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...