Dubai promotes family travel as visitor numbers peak
Dubai positions itself as a 'must-visit family destination' and welcomes record numbers of tourists for the first half of this year. Tourism officials in the emirate say this is due to their ever-increasing hotel portfolio to appeal and cater to a broader range of visitors as well as their diversification of tourism products and unique attractions.
Dubai intends to drive growth in tourism by positioning itself as a "must-experience family destination", according to Director General of Dubai's Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing Helal Saeed Almarri.
His comments came after the government department published figures revealing record visitor numbers to the country in the first half of this year. Saeed explained:
"We are constantly diversifying our tourism offering and increasing our hotel portfolio to attract, and cater to, a broader market of visitors."
Hotels are helping to enhance the appeal of Dubai as a family holiday destination by offering excellent kids clubs and entertainment programs, with Ritz-Carlton Hotels introducing the Ritz Kids program earlier this year, for instance. Elsewhere, Dubai's family tourism offering includes the popular Aquaventure water theme park, and Magic Planet, an enormous indoor family entertainment centre.
More than 5.8 million people travelled to Dubai during the first six months of 2014, which is the highest number of visitors to the country ever recorded. The Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing (DTCM) reported increases across key indicators including the number of hotel guests and hotel room revenues.
Saeed also explained:
"The figures for the first half of 2014 are encouraging and we continue to build on this growth to ensure a successful second half of the year.
"In addition to the increase in hotel guest numbers, since the end of June 2013, Dubai has added more than 7,000 hotel rooms to its inventory, with the total now standing at 88,680 across 634 establishments."
Total hotel revenues for the first half of 2014 showed significant growth, up 10.9% on the previous year.
The average length of stay for visitors to Dubai has also been steadily increasing as the country strives to become more than a stop-over or short break destination. Travellers now stay for an average of 3.9 days, with the length of stay increasing to 3.4 days for hotels, and 5.7 days for hotel apartments in 2014.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning views of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Exciting marine and entertainment attractions that the whole family can enjoy
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Ideal combination of the sand and sea of the tropical Mauritius and sights of trendy Dubai
- The central location provides fantastic connectivity to all of Dubai and is within walking distance to the famous Mall of the Emirates.
- Weekly activity programme includes: outdoor cinema, face painting, treasure hunt, cooking classes and much more
- All-inclusive 'Culinary Voyage' allows you to choose from 4 restaurants for lunch and 7 for dinner as well as 5 bars, including a night club and a sport bar
Intercontinental Mauritius + Hyatt Regency Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most picturesque parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Zabeel House Mini by Jumeirah is a playful, pocket friendly hotel high on design and low on complexity. Perfectly...