Melia Hotels removes shark fin from its menus in Asia Pacific
The Asia Pacific Region of Melia Hotels International has announced that it will remove shark fin from its menus of its restaurants in its Melia hotels in the region to help protect the marine species. Millions of sharks are hunted killed every year for their fins which are the used in many Asian countries in a traditional soup.
The Asia Pacific Region of Melia Hotels International announced earlier this week that shark fins will be removed from the menus of its restaurants in the region to help protect the species.
Melia hotels will also remove the shark fins from all events held at its facilities in the region as art of a commitment to sustainability.
Every year, between 70 million and 100 million sharks are hunted and killed for their fins which are used as a key ingredient in soups in China and as a delicacy in many Asian countries.
The marine world’s leading predators are killed in a cruel act which involves the shark being hauled onto a boat, its fins cut off, and the rest of the body is then thrown back into the ocean where it will drown or bleed to death.
Sharks play a vital role in the food chain by eliminating the weakest prey, maintaining balance with competitors, and guaranteeing the diversity of marine species. They provide habitats for coral reefs and algae and if sharks were eliminated in coral reef ecosystems, this could allow other predators to feed on herbivores whose loss would lead to the increased growth of macroalgae which kills off the corals. If the ecosystem is dominated by algae, the survival of the reef is endangered and the marine environment is unbalanced.
The brutal practice of shark finning was recently strictly banned by the European Union, after nearly ten years of campaigning.
Melia Hotels has taken the measures as part of the Global Sustainability and CSR policy and the hotel group believes that sustainability can only be achieved if the impact of operations on the natural environment is identified both locally and across the world.
The hotel group is committed to protecting the biological diversity and reducing the impact of its activities at all of its luxury hotels that it manages in countries worldwide.
Melia Hotels International is a Spanish-based hotel group that operates more than 26 hotels in Cuba and 350 hotels in total in 35 countries across the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Be Live Collection Punta Cana's pristine white beaches, swaying palms and pulsating Latin vibe
Enjoy a fabulous holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana where you'll find endless fun as well as plenty of relaxing options
- Enjoy 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a fantastic beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- Great facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...