Melia Hotels removes shark fin from its menus in Asia Pacific
The Asia Pacific Region of Melia Hotels International has announced that it will remove shark fin from its menus of its restaurants in its Melia hotels in the region to help protect the marine species. Millions of sharks are hunted killed every year for their fins which are the used in many Asian countries in a traditional soup.
The Asia Pacific Region of Melia Hotels International announced earlier this week that shark fins will be removed from the menus of its restaurants in the region to help protect the species.
Melia hotels will also remove the shark fins from all events held at its facilities in the region as art of a commitment to sustainability.
Every year, between 70 million and 100 million sharks are hunted and killed for their fins which are used as a key ingredient in soups in China and as a delicacy in many Asian countries.
The marine world’s leading predators are killed in a cruel act which involves the shark being hauled onto a boat, its fins cut off, and the rest of the body is then thrown back into the ocean where it will drown or bleed to death.
Sharks play a vital role in the food chain by eliminating the weakest prey, maintaining balance with competitors, and guaranteeing the diversity of marine species. They provide habitats for coral reefs and algae and if sharks were eliminated in coral reef ecosystems, this could allow other predators to feed on herbivores whose loss would lead to the increased growth of macroalgae which kills off the corals. If the ecosystem is dominated by algae, the survival of the reef is endangered and the marine environment is unbalanced.
The brutal practice of shark finning was recently strictly banned by the European Union, after nearly ten years of campaigning.
Melia Hotels has taken the measures as part of the Global Sustainability and CSR policy and the hotel group believes that sustainability can only be achieved if the impact of operations on the natural environment is identified both locally and across the world.
The hotel group is committed to protecting the biological diversity and reducing the impact of its activities at all of its luxury hotels that it manages in countries worldwide.
Melia Hotels International is a Spanish-based hotel group that operates more than 26 hotels in Cuba and 350 hotels in total in 35 countries across the world.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Enjoy a taste of Thailand with a complimentary cooking class
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES from £ 1899 for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Be dined and wined at a selection of no less than nine restaurants.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
A modern, stylish and affordable Abu Dhabi hotel conveniently located in within easy access to the Abu Dhabi Airport as...