Guests invited to help protect Sea Turtles at Royal Resorts in Cancun, Mexico
The summer season is the nesting season for many sea turtles worldwide and staff members at Royal Resorts are doing their bit to protect these endangered creatures when they arrive on the shores of Cancun and the Rivera Maya in Mexico. Guests staying at Royal Resorts will be given the opportunity to watch the baby turtles hatch on the beaches and help set them free back into the ocean.
The summer months bring pregnant sea turtles to beaches all across the world to find a safe place to make a nest and lay their precious eggs.
Royal Resorts staff members are doing their bit to protect these endangered species as they arrive on the white sandy shores of Cancun and the Riviera Maya in Mexico.
Grand Residences is the newest addition to the Royal Resorts collection of properties and a Leading Hotel of the World. The property is positioned between Cancun and Playa del Carmen on the beachfront where green turtles set up home during nesting season and for the first time the resort will be taking part in a turtle protection campaign.
Sea turtles are an endangered species in Mexico and the United States due to fishermen killing then in large numbers and many die after being caught up in fishing lines and nets or from swallowing plastics and dangerous debris.
Baby turtles are often at risk from preying birds, crabs, birds, raccoons and dogs as they make their way from the nests on the beaches to the ocean and many are disorientated by artificial lights of beachfront hotels, houses or structures before they reach the water's edge.
To help the baby turtles succeed in their journey, the security staff members at Royal Resorts transfer the sea turtle eggs to purpose-built corrals to protect them from human activity or coastal development. Then, when the eggs hatch, guests staying at the luxury beachfront resorts will have the opportunity to watch and help set the tiny baby turtle free.
Grand Residences welcomed its first sea turtle of the season on 25th June and the Green Turtle eggs were transferred to the new corral where the net was labelled with the date, time, species of the turtle and the number of eggs laid. The Cancun hotel's staff members will then ensure that the eggs are protected from predators and the ocean's waves.
Carlo Bicaci, the General Manager of Grand Residences, explained:
"Resort guests are delighted to be involved in this initiative as part of their vacation experience, they help security guards keep watch and they play an important role in their survival."
Royal Resorts was established in 1975 and the hotel group operates several luxury resorts in Mexico and Cancun.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...