Jetwing Yala Hotel makes stride to becoming carbon neutral with solar power plant
Jetwing of Sri Lanka has recently launched its third solar power plant with this most recent one set up to power the Jetwing Yala Hotel. The plant will meet 40 per cent of the Yala hotel's needs and is the first step towards the resort's efforts to become Sri Lanka's first carbon neutral hotel.
Jetwing has recently launched its very own solar power plant in Sri Lanka which will power the Jetwing Yala Hotel.
The plant spans across over 5,000 m² and will be able to generate 1,500kWh of solar energy per day which in tangible terms means that it will be able to meet as much as 40 per cent of the Yala Hotel's needs. The eco friendly move is a huge stride in Jetwing Yala's efforts to become Sri Lanka's first carbon neutral hotel.
Jude Kasturi Arachchi, Director of Jetwing, explained:
"We have long been known for our sustainable practices, but with the opening of the solar park we are now very close to making this vision a reality. No expense has been spared, from the quality of the system to even ensuring its installation; initially, we were considering a roof mounted system, but decided later on to move onto a ground mounted one for purely aesthetic reasons to preserve the concept of Jetwing Yala."
Jetwing is certainly building a reputation as one of the most sustainable tourism companies, not only in Sri Lanka but in the entire world, with this being the third solar park to be launched by the firm. Similar solar power facilities already exist at the Jetwing Blue and Jetwing Sea hotels in Negombo and were launched in 2010 and 2011 respectively.
Recently the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) announced the winners of the 2014 PATA Grand Gold Awards and recognised Jetwing's efforts to provide its customers with eco-friendly holidays in Sri Lanka. Jetwing Vil Uyana was awarded the Environmental Award for its "Man and Nature in Perfect Harmony" concept.
With the property being a nature reserve with a wetland system made up of lakes and reed beds, the accommodations are actually situated within the paddy fields themselves. This unique boutique resort is home to a host of rich flora and fauna including the famous loris - an endangered species known for its large eyes. Vil Uyana has even designated a separate area as a loris conservation site.
With Sri Lanka becoming an increasingly popular Indian Ocean destination, Jetwing's efforts to limit its environmental impact is no doubt a much-welcomed change in the tourism industry's attitude towards the environment and sustainability practices.
Sri Lanka has recently recorded a 25 per cent increase in the number of visitors in the first half of 2014 when compared to the same period last year. The Tourism Development Authority of Sri Lanka is aiming to attract 2.5 million visitors by 2016.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Surround yourself with ancient ruins and futuristic skyscrapers with a holiday to Sri Lanka and Dubai.
Combine the historical and cultural journey of a lifetime, with a stopover in one of the most futuristic and flashy cities in the world.
- A visit to one of the world’s most futuristic, indulgent and snazzy cities in the world – Dubai.
- Discover lush nature reserves, amazing temples, ancient ruins, Heritage sites and an overwhelming culture with a tour of one of the most intriguing and enchanting destinations in the world – Sri Lanka.
- Luxurious 4 & 5 star accommodation throughout the holiday.
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- English speaking chauffer guide for the Entire Round Tour
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Surrounded by vast paddy fields and exceptional natural beauty, the Kithala Resort is a true tropical haven as one...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Stay in a world of luxury and comfort at Citrus Waskaduwa, a fantastic beach retreat with top of the range amenities and...