Jetwing Yala Hotel makes stride to becoming carbon neutral with solar power plant
Jetwing of Sri Lanka has recently launched its third solar power plant with this most recent one set up to power the Jetwing Yala Hotel. The plant will meet 40 per cent of the Yala hotel's needs and is the first step towards the resort's efforts to become Sri Lanka's first carbon neutral hotel.
Jetwing has recently launched its very own solar power plant in Sri Lanka which will power the Jetwing Yala Hotel.
The plant spans across over 5,000 m² and will be able to generate 1,500kWh of solar energy per day which in tangible terms means that it will be able to meet as much as 40 per cent of the Yala Hotel's needs. The eco friendly move is a huge stride in Jetwing Yala's efforts to become Sri Lanka's first carbon neutral hotel.
Jude Kasturi Arachchi, Director of Jetwing, explained:
"We have long been known for our sustainable practices, but with the opening of the solar park we are now very close to making this vision a reality. No expense has been spared, from the quality of the system to even ensuring its installation; initially, we were considering a roof mounted system, but decided later on to move onto a ground mounted one for purely aesthetic reasons to preserve the concept of Jetwing Yala."
Jetwing is certainly building a reputation as one of the most sustainable tourism companies, not only in Sri Lanka but in the entire world, with this being the third solar park to be launched by the firm. Similar solar power facilities already exist at the Jetwing Blue and Jetwing Sea hotels in Negombo and were launched in 2010 and 2011 respectively.
Recently the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) announced the winners of the 2014 PATA Grand Gold Awards and recognised Jetwing's efforts to provide its customers with eco-friendly holidays in Sri Lanka. Jetwing Vil Uyana was awarded the Environmental Award for its "Man and Nature in Perfect Harmony" concept.
With the property being a nature reserve with a wetland system made up of lakes and reed beds, the accommodations are actually situated within the paddy fields themselves. This unique boutique resort is home to a host of rich flora and fauna including the famous loris - an endangered species known for its large eyes. Vil Uyana has even designated a separate area as a loris conservation site.
With Sri Lanka becoming an increasingly popular Indian Ocean destination, Jetwing's efforts to limit its environmental impact is no doubt a much-welcomed change in the tourism industry's attitude towards the environment and sustainability practices.
Sri Lanka has recently recorded a 25 per cent increase in the number of visitors in the first half of 2014 when compared to the same period last year. The Tourism Development Authority of Sri Lanka is aiming to attract 2.5 million visitors by 2016.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Discover local life in a fishing village, explore rainforests, Temples and much more on Sri Lanka's West Coast, and enjoy great value for money
- All rooms include a balcony or terrace with either Partial Sea View or Ocean View
- Enjoy Yoga, Snooker, access to 2 Swimming Pools & much more
- Access to the Sahana Spa and leave your daily stress behind with the magical touch of various spa treatments
Enjoy a relaxing stay in an ideal setting surrounded by lush frangipanis, swaying palms and the glistening blue waters of Bentota's beaches.
- Discover Sri Lanka's cultural wonders from a soothing luxury retreat oozing 18th century charm
- Bask in acres of lush gardens framed by frangipani trees and facing a secluded golden sand beach
- Be wowed by the Dine by Design concept, allowing you to eat out in an array of scenic settings
Private tour visiting many great cities such as Sigiriya, Polonnaruwa and Kandy
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Private Tour showcases some of the most interesting cultural and historic sites in the world
- Enjoy the game drive through Minneriya National Park which is a home to sambar deer, leopards and elephants and features the ancient Minneriya Tank
- English speaking chauffer guide for the entire round tour
Arouse your senses in the Indian Ocean with this amazing double Island getaway
- Follow the thousands of local pilgrims and visit the awe inspiring Kalutara Temple - the only Buddhist shrine in the world which is completely hollow inside
- Sunrise and sunset fishing giving you the most stunning views over the Indian Ocean
- Tholhufushi Robinson Excursion , offering a real-life Robinson Crusoe adventure on a deserted island
Soak up the sunshine that pours down on Sri Lanka's Indian Ocean coastline at Tangerine Beach. Make the scenic resort...
Sri Lanka is the land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a...
This fantastic package allows you to discover the delights of the Superior Golden Triangle Tour where you will explore...
There are few better places from which to enjoy the calming effect of the Indian Ocean breeze than at Avani Kalutara in...
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...