Jetwing Yala Hotel makes stride to becoming carbon neutral with solar power plant
Jetwing of Sri Lanka has recently launched its third solar power plant with this most recent one set up to power the Jetwing Yala Hotel. The plant will meet 40 per cent of the Yala hotel's needs and is the first step towards the resort's efforts to become Sri Lanka's first carbon neutral hotel.
Jetwing has recently launched its very own solar power plant in Sri Lanka which will power the Jetwing Yala Hotel.
The plant spans across over 5,000 m² and will be able to generate 1,500kWh of solar energy per day which in tangible terms means that it will be able to meet as much as 40 per cent of the Yala Hotel's needs. The eco friendly move is a huge stride in Jetwing Yala's efforts to become Sri Lanka's first carbon neutral hotel.
Jude Kasturi Arachchi, Director of Jetwing, explained:
"We have long been known for our sustainable practices, but with the opening of the solar park we are now very close to making this vision a reality. No expense has been spared, from the quality of the system to even ensuring its installation; initially, we were considering a roof mounted system, but decided later on to move onto a ground mounted one for purely aesthetic reasons to preserve the concept of Jetwing Yala."
Jetwing is certainly building a reputation as one of the most sustainable tourism companies, not only in Sri Lanka but in the entire world, with this being the third solar park to be launched by the firm. Similar solar power facilities already exist at the Jetwing Blue and Jetwing Sea hotels in Negombo and were launched in 2010 and 2011 respectively.
Recently the Pacific Asia Travel Association (PATA) announced the winners of the 2014 PATA Grand Gold Awards and recognised Jetwing's efforts to provide its customers with eco-friendly holidays in Sri Lanka. Jetwing Vil Uyana was awarded the Environmental Award for its "Man and Nature in Perfect Harmony" concept.
With the property being a nature reserve with a wetland system made up of lakes and reed beds, the accommodations are actually situated within the paddy fields themselves. This unique boutique resort is home to a host of rich flora and fauna including the famous loris - an endangered species known for its large eyes. Vil Uyana has even designated a separate area as a loris conservation site.
With Sri Lanka becoming an increasingly popular Indian Ocean destination, Jetwing's efforts to limit its environmental impact is no doubt a much-welcomed change in the tourism industry's attitude towards the environment and sustainability practices.
Sri Lanka has recently recorded a 25 per cent increase in the number of visitors in the first half of 2014 when compared to the same period last year. The Tourism Development Authority of Sri Lanka is aiming to attract 2.5 million visitors by 2016.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Sri Lanka Browse all
Located in Negombo, on the west coast of Sri Lanka, Club Dolphin offers a relaxing and comfortable stay at the heart of one of Asia's most diverse countries.
- Cottages are spread throughout the gardens and have air conditioning, mini fridge and cable TV
- Club Dolphin is set in acres of coconut groves, beside a golden sand beach and backing onto a canal
- The hotel has two pools, one activity pool and a quiet pool, with the main pool winding through the resort
Enjoy a wonderful beachside haven of tranquillity, days of luxury and the chance to see the island's green hills carpeted by lush plantations
- All rooms feature a Balcony or Terrace with spectacular views
- Enjoy the huge selection of activities including Volleyball, Tennis, Squash & more
- Relax at the Ayurveda Wellness & Spa with the best quality services that will make your stay unforgettable
This holiday offers an amazing combination of adventure and discovery before a relaxing stay on the beach
- Jetwing Beach has a breathtaking costal location offering the chance to relax on the pristine beach
- The Highlights of Sri Lanka Tour is an adventures dream where you will discover the jewels of Kandy
- This holiday is perfectly combined to ensure adventure and relaxation are evenly matched which makes for an unforgettable holiday
Marvel at the Magnificent Taj Mahal and discover the Forts of Rajasthan then head south to enjoy an all inclusive beach holiday in Sri Lanka
- Enjoy a Horse Carriage & ride while visiting the Taj Mahal & Elephant Ride to Amber Fort*
- Enjoy a Rajasthani Feast in Jaipur
- Complete your stay with an All Inclusive break in Sri Lanka - Staying at the Beachside Haven Tangerine Beach
Discover a world of peace and relaxation at the all-inclusive Mermaid Hotel Club in the gorgeous Kalutura Beach, Sri...
Sri Lanka has quietly become a leading tourist destination as tourists seek to soak up the sunshine that pours down on...
A luxurious gem of a five-star hotel, the Heritance Ahungalla is a living piece of astounding architecture that allows...
Set upon Sri Lanka’s southern coast, the Hibiscus Beach Hotel offers tranquillity and seclusion at an affordable price....
Take a trip to Sri Lanka and enjoy the warm hospitality at Avani Bentota. It is a resort located along the popular...
Avani Bentota is set in eight acres of lush frangipanis and coconut palms by the golden sands of Bentota. This hotel...