Cuba celebrated 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship
The 11th edition of the Latin American Skydiving Championship reached it climax yesterday, when the winners of the 1st Friendship Cup were announced in Varadero, Cuba. Won by the Brazilian team, the event took place over last week and saw Cuba welcoming participants from all over the world to compete in the categories of team accuracy landing and individual accuracy landing.
Just last week, Cuba became host of the 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship, with the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup (Copa de la Amistad) having played out in Varadero from 14th to 20th July.
The sporting event concluded yesterday and the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup was won by the Brazilian team, followed by the Cuban team in second and third place.
Over 50 athletes from all over Latin America participated in the tournament, competing in the precision landing mode and representing 10 different nations from all over the world, including Qatar, Chile, Argentina, Russia, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Bosnia Herzegovina. All participants competed in the categories of individual and team accuracy landing.
It all took place in Varadero's International Skydiving Centre (Centro Internacional de Paracaidismo), a fantastically well-equipped facility that sees hundreds of tourists each year come to skydive with a team of internationally-trained local experts.
The competing skydivers were accommodated at the Villa Tortuga Hotel, a charming 3-star all inclusive resort perfectly located at the entrance of the Varadero village, beautifully surrounded by lush vegetation and exuding a relaxing laidback feel.
The president of the organising committee, Omar Gomez, said of the event:
"The Latin American feeling of brotherhood could be felt in both competitions"
The female category of individual accuracy landing was won by Cuban girls Marisol Maldonado, Dalia Bejerano and Elizabeth Hernandez, in first, second and third place respectively.
The individual modality for males was won by Cuban Yosbel Sanchez in first place, Brazilian Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Cuban Oscar Arteaga Collado in third.
On the male group category, first place went to Brazilian, Diego Gabriel Da Silva, followed by his compatriot Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Argentinean Fernando Conil in third.
The Fair Play award went to Brazilian Marcelo Ricci.
Varadero is a small coastal town in western Cuba, in the province of Matanzas. This small village is home to Cuba's longest and most famous stretch of pristine beach lined by world-class hotels and resorts and favoured by worldwide travellers seeking sun, sand and sea in spectacular natural surroundings.
The International Skydiving Centre in Varadero offers tourists an unforgettable experience during their holidays with every thrill guaranteed. Since its opening in 1993 it has seen thousands of visitors skydiving into the sparkling white sands of Varadero beach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...