Cuba celebrated 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship
The 11th edition of the Latin American Skydiving Championship reached it climax yesterday, when the winners of the 1st Friendship Cup were announced in Varadero, Cuba. Won by the Brazilian team, the event took place over last week and saw Cuba welcoming participants from all over the world to compete in the categories of team accuracy landing and individual accuracy landing.
Just last week, Cuba became host of the 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship, with the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup (Copa de la Amistad) having played out in Varadero from 14th to 20th July.
The sporting event concluded yesterday and the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup was won by the Brazilian team, followed by the Cuban team in second and third place.
Over 50 athletes from all over Latin America participated in the tournament, competing in the precision landing mode and representing 10 different nations from all over the world, including Qatar, Chile, Argentina, Russia, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Bosnia Herzegovina. All participants competed in the categories of individual and team accuracy landing.
It all took place in Varadero's International Skydiving Centre (Centro Internacional de Paracaidismo), a fantastically well-equipped facility that sees hundreds of tourists each year come to skydive with a team of internationally-trained local experts.
The competing skydivers were accommodated at the Villa Tortuga Hotel, a charming 3-star all inclusive resort perfectly located at the entrance of the Varadero village, beautifully surrounded by lush vegetation and exuding a relaxing laidback feel.
The president of the organising committee, Omar Gomez, said of the event:
"The Latin American feeling of brotherhood could be felt in both competitions"
The female category of individual accuracy landing was won by Cuban girls Marisol Maldonado, Dalia Bejerano and Elizabeth Hernandez, in first, second and third place respectively.
The individual modality for males was won by Cuban Yosbel Sanchez in first place, Brazilian Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Cuban Oscar Arteaga Collado in third.
On the male group category, first place went to Brazilian, Diego Gabriel Da Silva, followed by his compatriot Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Argentinean Fernando Conil in third.
The Fair Play award went to Brazilian Marcelo Ricci.
Varadero is a small coastal town in western Cuba, in the province of Matanzas. This small village is home to Cuba's longest and most famous stretch of pristine beach lined by world-class hotels and resorts and favoured by worldwide travellers seeking sun, sand and sea in spectacular natural surroundings.
The International Skydiving Centre in Varadero offers tourists an unforgettable experience during their holidays with every thrill guaranteed. Since its opening in 1993 it has seen thousands of visitors skydiving into the sparkling white sands of Varadero beach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...