Cuba celebrated 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship
The 11th edition of the Latin American Skydiving Championship reached it climax yesterday, when the winners of the 1st Friendship Cup were announced in Varadero, Cuba. Won by the Brazilian team, the event took place over last week and saw Cuba welcoming participants from all over the world to compete in the categories of team accuracy landing and individual accuracy landing.
Just last week, Cuba became host of the 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship, with the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup (Copa de la Amistad) having played out in Varadero from 14th to 20th July.
The sporting event concluded yesterday and the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup was won by the Brazilian team, followed by the Cuban team in second and third place.
Over 50 athletes from all over Latin America participated in the tournament, competing in the precision landing mode and representing 10 different nations from all over the world, including Qatar, Chile, Argentina, Russia, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Bosnia Herzegovina. All participants competed in the categories of individual and team accuracy landing.
It all took place in Varadero's International Skydiving Centre (Centro Internacional de Paracaidismo), a fantastically well-equipped facility that sees hundreds of tourists each year come to skydive with a team of internationally-trained local experts.
The competing skydivers were accommodated at the Villa Tortuga Hotel, a charming 3-star all inclusive resort perfectly located at the entrance of the Varadero village, beautifully surrounded by lush vegetation and exuding a relaxing laidback feel.
The president of the organising committee, Omar Gomez, said of the event:
"The Latin American feeling of brotherhood could be felt in both competitions"
The female category of individual accuracy landing was won by Cuban girls Marisol Maldonado, Dalia Bejerano and Elizabeth Hernandez, in first, second and third place respectively.
The individual modality for males was won by Cuban Yosbel Sanchez in first place, Brazilian Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Cuban Oscar Arteaga Collado in third.
On the male group category, first place went to Brazilian, Diego Gabriel Da Silva, followed by his compatriot Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Argentinean Fernando Conil in third.
The Fair Play award went to Brazilian Marcelo Ricci.
Varadero is a small coastal town in western Cuba, in the province of Matanzas. This small village is home to Cuba's longest and most famous stretch of pristine beach lined by world-class hotels and resorts and favoured by worldwide travellers seeking sun, sand and sea in spectacular natural surroundings.
The International Skydiving Centre in Varadero offers tourists an unforgettable experience during their holidays with every thrill guaranteed. Since its opening in 1993 it has seen thousands of visitors skydiving into the sparkling white sands of Varadero beach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...