Cuba celebrated 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship
The 11th edition of the Latin American Skydiving Championship reached it climax yesterday, when the winners of the 1st Friendship Cup were announced in Varadero, Cuba. Won by the Brazilian team, the event took place over last week and saw Cuba welcoming participants from all over the world to compete in the categories of team accuracy landing and individual accuracy landing.
Just last week, Cuba became host of the 11th Latin American Skydiving Championship, with the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup (Copa de la Amistad) having played out in Varadero from 14th to 20th July.
The sporting event concluded yesterday and the 1st Skydiving Friendship Cup was won by the Brazilian team, followed by the Cuban team in second and third place.
Over 50 athletes from all over Latin America participated in the tournament, competing in the precision landing mode and representing 10 different nations from all over the world, including Qatar, Chile, Argentina, Russia, Colombia, Venezuela, Peru and Bosnia Herzegovina. All participants competed in the categories of individual and team accuracy landing.
It all took place in Varadero's International Skydiving Centre (Centro Internacional de Paracaidismo), a fantastically well-equipped facility that sees hundreds of tourists each year come to skydive with a team of internationally-trained local experts.
The competing skydivers were accommodated at the Villa Tortuga Hotel, a charming 3-star all inclusive resort perfectly located at the entrance of the Varadero village, beautifully surrounded by lush vegetation and exuding a relaxing laidback feel.
The president of the organising committee, Omar Gomez, said of the event:
"The Latin American feeling of brotherhood could be felt in both competitions"
The female category of individual accuracy landing was won by Cuban girls Marisol Maldonado, Dalia Bejerano and Elizabeth Hernandez, in first, second and third place respectively.
The individual modality for males was won by Cuban Yosbel Sanchez in first place, Brazilian Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Cuban Oscar Arteaga Collado in third.
On the male group category, first place went to Brazilian, Diego Gabriel Da Silva, followed by his compatriot Rodrigo Concalvez in second place and Argentinean Fernando Conil in third.
The Fair Play award went to Brazilian Marcelo Ricci.
Varadero is a small coastal town in western Cuba, in the province of Matanzas. This small village is home to Cuba's longest and most famous stretch of pristine beach lined by world-class hotels and resorts and favoured by worldwide travellers seeking sun, sand and sea in spectacular natural surroundings.
The International Skydiving Centre in Varadero offers tourists an unforgettable experience during their holidays with every thrill guaranteed. Since its opening in 1993 it has seen thousands of visitors skydiving into the sparkling white sands of Varadero beach.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Starfish Varadero has to offer for an amazing price!
- Stay entertained with daily activities, land sports, water sports and lively shows
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...