New scuba diving attraction planned for Dubai's World Islands
Scuba diving enthusiasts will have a new underwater playground to enjoy as Dubai tourism officials reveal plans to open Pearl of Dubai. The new underwater theme park is located in a five-acre site that sits in the shallow waters off the World Islands development, and will be designed by the art team from the "Avatar" film.
Dubai tourism officials have revealed plans to open a brand new underwater theme park in the United Arab Emirates. The "Pearl of Dubai" is an underwater attraction that will be located in the shallow waters off the World Islands development and will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkellers.
The five-acre site will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar" and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, and the plan is to make it look like a lost ancient city, according to Reef Worlds, a Los Angeles-based company that is overseeing the project.
Dave Taylor, the Director of Development for Reef Worlds, commented:
"When one considers Dubai and the region, scuba diving and underwater exploration are not on the top 10 list, and yet they are almost everywhere else in the world. We will work with carefully selected resort partners on unique underwater habitat projects that directly support our clients' sustainability and revenue goals."
As well as helping Dubai's tourism industry by trying to obtain a share of the world's $3 billion scuba diving and snorkelling market, the company also plans to develop underwater theme parks in other scuba diving destinations such as the Philippines.
The World Islands development is a collection of 300 artificial islands in Dubai shaped in the form of a world map, spanning approximately nine kilometres in width and seven kilometres in length.
The United Arab Emirates and its neighbouring countries are quickly becoming one of the most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots here include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Oman (an Omani exclave geographically situated within the UAE), Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, and the emirates of Abu Dhabi and Fujairah.
In the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...