New scuba diving attraction planned for Dubai's World Islands
Scuba diving enthusiasts will have a new underwater playground to enjoy as Dubai tourism officials reveal plans to open Pearl of Dubai. The new underwater theme park is located in a five-acre site that sits in the shallow waters off the World Islands development, and will be designed by the art team from the "Avatar" film.
Dubai tourism officials have revealed plans to open a brand new underwater theme park in the United Arab Emirates. The "Pearl of Dubai" is an underwater attraction that will be located in the shallow waters off the World Islands development and will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkellers.
The five-acre site will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar" and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, and the plan is to make it look like a lost ancient city, according to Reef Worlds, a Los Angeles-based company that is overseeing the project.
Dave Taylor, the Director of Development for Reef Worlds, commented:
"When one considers Dubai and the region, scuba diving and underwater exploration are not on the top 10 list, and yet they are almost everywhere else in the world. We will work with carefully selected resort partners on unique underwater habitat projects that directly support our clients' sustainability and revenue goals."
As well as helping Dubai's tourism industry by trying to obtain a share of the world's $3 billion scuba diving and snorkelling market, the company also plans to develop underwater theme parks in other scuba diving destinations such as the Philippines.
The World Islands development is a collection of 300 artificial islands in Dubai shaped in the form of a world map, spanning approximately nine kilometres in width and seven kilometres in length.
The United Arab Emirates and its neighbouring countries are quickly becoming one of the most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots here include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Oman (an Omani exclave geographically situated within the UAE), Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, and the emirates of Abu Dhabi and Fujairah.
In the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
The location on the world famous, Palm Jumeirah, provides superb access to white sandy beaches.
- FREE Half Board upgrade
- Up to two kids stay FREE
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
A warm welcome awaits you behind the striking geometric façade of Holiday Inn Express Dubai-Jumeirah, 20 minutes by taxi...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...