New scuba diving attraction planned for Dubai's World Islands
Scuba diving enthusiasts will have a new underwater playground to enjoy as Dubai tourism officials reveal plans to open Pearl of Dubai. The new underwater theme park is located in a five-acre site that sits in the shallow waters off the World Islands development, and will be designed by the art team from the "Avatar" film.
Dubai tourism officials have revealed plans to open a brand new underwater theme park in the United Arab Emirates. The "Pearl of Dubai" is an underwater attraction that will be located in the shallow waters off the World Islands development and will be accessible to scuba diving enthusiasts and snorkellers.
The five-acre site will be designed by the art team from the 2009 blockbuster film "Avatar" and the "Pirates of the Caribbean" film, and the plan is to make it look like a lost ancient city, according to Reef Worlds, a Los Angeles-based company that is overseeing the project.
Dave Taylor, the Director of Development for Reef Worlds, commented:
"When one considers Dubai and the region, scuba diving and underwater exploration are not on the top 10 list, and yet they are almost everywhere else in the world. We will work with carefully selected resort partners on unique underwater habitat projects that directly support our clients' sustainability and revenue goals."
As well as helping Dubai's tourism industry by trying to obtain a share of the world's $3 billion scuba diving and snorkelling market, the company also plans to develop underwater theme parks in other scuba diving destinations such as the Philippines.
The World Islands development is a collection of 300 artificial islands in Dubai shaped in the form of a world map, spanning approximately nine kilometres in width and seven kilometres in length.
The United Arab Emirates and its neighbouring countries are quickly becoming one of the most popular destinations for scuba diving holidays and hotspots here include Muscat in Oman, the Musandam Peninsula in Oman (an Omani exclave geographically situated within the UAE), Haifa and Akhziv in Israel, and the emirates of Abu Dhabi and Fujairah.
In the Middle East, divers can explore warm waters that are teeming with tropical marine creatures such as turtles, octopus, barracudas, eels, parrotfish and rays. There are plenty of diving sites to discover with an array of shipwrecks, caves, walls and reefs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Indulge in a shopping spree in Dubi or hop on the metro to Jumeirah Beach and soak up the sun .
- Free shuttle service to Jumeirah Beach
- Complimentary wireless internet access is available in public areas
- Free shuttle to Emirates shopping malls
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The new Sofitel The Palm Dubai epitomizes understated luxury combined with the utmost comfort. Located on Dubai’s...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Dubai has emerged as a top tourist destination for travellers across the globe. The city of Dubai in UAE reflects the...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...