Kempinksi to operate its first ever hotel in Cuba
The luxury Swiss hotelier and Europe's oldest hotel chain has been revealed as the managing company for the latest hotel to open in Havana, the new Manzana de Gomez, housed in a historic building that is now being refurbished and converted into a boutique property, expected to open its doors to guests by the end of 2016.
Clearly showing their interest in the blossoming capital of Havana, the well-known and prestigious Swiss hotel chain, Kempinksi, is to manage a historic property that is now being restored and converted into a chic new boutique hotel at the heart of the city's old area.
The iconic "Manzana de Gomez" building, a 20th century beauty and landmark in Old Havana, is currently undergoing extensive renovation works that will see it transform into a deluxe, five-star hotel operated by Kempinksi.
At the moment, the renovation works are being undertaken by the property owners, Cuba's hotel group, Gaviota S.A. and speaking on the government-owned company's behalf, its Marketing Vice President, Frank Pais Oltuski revealed that while all hotels in the island are owned by the state, 87 per cent of hotels in Cuba are managed by foreign hotel chains, the majority of which are Spanish, but also includes the Canadian chain, Blue Diamond and the Portuguese Pestana hotel chain.
Oltuski added that one of Kempinski's most important directors, Bugra Berberoglu, who attended the recently held FitCuba 2014 tourism fair, on its 34th edition, also made the trip to Havana to finalise details of the management contract.
Confirming Kempinksi's participation in the hotel's renovation project, Mr Berberoglu said to OnCuba:
"We want the Kempinski Manzana de Gomez to be the pride of the nation. None of our hotels are the same as others; we have a different concept of what luxury is."
Oltuski also revealed to Granma International that the hotel does not have a name yet, but it will offer the highest level of service and the highest standards by Kempinksi.
With an opening scheduled for the end of 2016, Mr Oltuski also revealed that the investment does not only include the conversion of the property into a hotel but also a shopping centre to be located on the lower levels and which will be 100 per cent Cuban.
We recently covered the news about the revamping of this decaying with a blog post, so if you want to learn more about the history of what will become one of the city's trendiest and most luxurious boutique hotels, read Crumbling historic building in Old Havana to reopen as new boutique hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...