Kempinksi to operate its first ever hotel in Cuba
The luxury Swiss hotelier and Europe's oldest hotel chain has been revealed as the managing company for the latest hotel to open in Havana, the new Manzana de Gomez, housed in a historic building that is now being refurbished and converted into a boutique property, expected to open its doors to guests by the end of 2016.
Clearly showing their interest in the blossoming capital of Havana, the well-known and prestigious Swiss hotel chain, Kempinksi, is to manage a historic property that is now being restored and converted into a chic new boutique hotel at the heart of the city's old area.
The iconic "Manzana de Gomez" building, a 20th century beauty and landmark in Old Havana, is currently undergoing extensive renovation works that will see it transform into a deluxe, five-star hotel operated by Kempinksi.
At the moment, the renovation works are being undertaken by the property owners, Cuba's hotel group, Gaviota S.A. and speaking on the government-owned company's behalf, its Marketing Vice President, Frank Pais Oltuski revealed that while all hotels in the island are owned by the state, 87 per cent of hotels in Cuba are managed by foreign hotel chains, the majority of which are Spanish, but also includes the Canadian chain, Blue Diamond and the Portuguese Pestana hotel chain.
Oltuski added that one of Kempinski's most important directors, Bugra Berberoglu, who attended the recently held FitCuba 2014 tourism fair, on its 34th edition, also made the trip to Havana to finalise details of the management contract.
Confirming Kempinksi's participation in the hotel's renovation project, Mr Berberoglu said to OnCuba:
"We want the Kempinski Manzana de Gomez to be the pride of the nation. None of our hotels are the same as others; we have a different concept of what luxury is."
Oltuski also revealed to Granma International that the hotel does not have a name yet, but it will offer the highest level of service and the highest standards by Kempinksi.
With an opening scheduled for the end of 2016, Mr Oltuski also revealed that the investment does not only include the conversion of the property into a hotel but also a shopping centre to be located on the lower levels and which will be 100 per cent Cuban.
We recently covered the news about the revamping of this decaying with a blog post, so if you want to learn more about the history of what will become one of the city's trendiest and most luxurious boutique hotels, read Crumbling historic building in Old Havana to reopen as new boutique hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...