Kempinksi to operate its first ever hotel in Cuba
The luxury Swiss hotelier and Europe's oldest hotel chain has been revealed as the managing company for the latest hotel to open in Havana, the new Manzana de Gomez, housed in a historic building that is now being refurbished and converted into a boutique property, expected to open its doors to guests by the end of 2016.
Clearly showing their interest in the blossoming capital of Havana, the well-known and prestigious Swiss hotel chain, Kempinksi, is to manage a historic property that is now being restored and converted into a chic new boutique hotel at the heart of the city's old area.
The iconic "Manzana de Gomez" building, a 20th century beauty and landmark in Old Havana, is currently undergoing extensive renovation works that will see it transform into a deluxe, five-star hotel operated by Kempinksi.
At the moment, the renovation works are being undertaken by the property owners, Cuba's hotel group, Gaviota S.A. and speaking on the government-owned company's behalf, its Marketing Vice President, Frank Pais Oltuski revealed that while all hotels in the island are owned by the state, 87 per cent of hotels in Cuba are managed by foreign hotel chains, the majority of which are Spanish, but also includes the Canadian chain, Blue Diamond and the Portuguese Pestana hotel chain.
Oltuski added that one of Kempinski's most important directors, Bugra Berberoglu, who attended the recently held FitCuba 2014 tourism fair, on its 34th edition, also made the trip to Havana to finalise details of the management contract.
Confirming Kempinksi's participation in the hotel's renovation project, Mr Berberoglu said to OnCuba:
"We want the Kempinski Manzana de Gomez to be the pride of the nation. None of our hotels are the same as others; we have a different concept of what luxury is."
Oltuski also revealed to Granma International that the hotel does not have a name yet, but it will offer the highest level of service and the highest standards by Kempinksi.
With an opening scheduled for the end of 2016, Mr Oltuski also revealed that the investment does not only include the conversion of the property into a hotel but also a shopping centre to be located on the lower levels and which will be 100 per cent Cuban.
We recently covered the news about the revamping of this decaying with a blog post, so if you want to learn more about the history of what will become one of the city's trendiest and most luxurious boutique hotels, read Crumbling historic building in Old Havana to reopen as new boutique hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...