Kempinksi to operate its first ever hotel in Cuba
The luxury Swiss hotelier and Europe's oldest hotel chain has been revealed as the managing company for the latest hotel to open in Havana, the new Manzana de Gomez, housed in a historic building that is now being refurbished and converted into a boutique property, expected to open its doors to guests by the end of 2016.
Clearly showing their interest in the blossoming capital of Havana, the well-known and prestigious Swiss hotel chain, Kempinksi, is to manage a historic property that is now being restored and converted into a chic new boutique hotel at the heart of the city's old area.
The iconic "Manzana de Gomez" building, a 20th century beauty and landmark in Old Havana, is currently undergoing extensive renovation works that will see it transform into a deluxe, five-star hotel operated by Kempinksi.
At the moment, the renovation works are being undertaken by the property owners, Cuba's hotel group, Gaviota S.A. and speaking on the government-owned company's behalf, its Marketing Vice President, Frank Pais Oltuski revealed that while all hotels in the island are owned by the state, 87 per cent of hotels in Cuba are managed by foreign hotel chains, the majority of which are Spanish, but also includes the Canadian chain, Blue Diamond and the Portuguese Pestana hotel chain.
Oltuski added that one of Kempinski's most important directors, Bugra Berberoglu, who attended the recently held FitCuba 2014 tourism fair, on its 34th edition, also made the trip to Havana to finalise details of the management contract.
Confirming Kempinksi's participation in the hotel's renovation project, Mr Berberoglu said to OnCuba:
"We want the Kempinski Manzana de Gomez to be the pride of the nation. None of our hotels are the same as others; we have a different concept of what luxury is."
Oltuski also revealed to Granma International that the hotel does not have a name yet, but it will offer the highest level of service and the highest standards by Kempinksi.
With an opening scheduled for the end of 2016, Mr Oltuski also revealed that the investment does not only include the conversion of the property into a hotel but also a shopping centre to be located on the lower levels and which will be 100 per cent Cuban.
We recently covered the news about the revamping of this decaying with a blog post, so if you want to learn more about the history of what will become one of the city's trendiest and most luxurious boutique hotels, read Crumbling historic building in Old Havana to reopen as new boutique hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...