Kempinksi to operate its first ever hotel in Cuba
The luxury Swiss hotelier and Europe's oldest hotel chain has been revealed as the managing company for the latest hotel to open in Havana, the new Manzana de Gomez, housed in a historic building that is now being refurbished and converted into a boutique property, expected to open its doors to guests by the end of 2016.
Clearly showing their interest in the blossoming capital of Havana, the well-known and prestigious Swiss hotel chain, Kempinksi, is to manage a historic property that is now being restored and converted into a chic new boutique hotel at the heart of the city's old area.
The iconic "Manzana de Gomez" building, a 20th century beauty and landmark in Old Havana, is currently undergoing extensive renovation works that will see it transform into a deluxe, five-star hotel operated by Kempinksi.
At the moment, the renovation works are being undertaken by the property owners, Cuba's hotel group, Gaviota S.A. and speaking on the government-owned company's behalf, its Marketing Vice President, Frank Pais Oltuski revealed that while all hotels in the island are owned by the state, 87 per cent of hotels in Cuba are managed by foreign hotel chains, the majority of which are Spanish, but also includes the Canadian chain, Blue Diamond and the Portuguese Pestana hotel chain.
Oltuski added that one of Kempinski's most important directors, Bugra Berberoglu, who attended the recently held FitCuba 2014 tourism fair, on its 34th edition, also made the trip to Havana to finalise details of the management contract.
Confirming Kempinksi's participation in the hotel's renovation project, Mr Berberoglu said to OnCuba:
"We want the Kempinski Manzana de Gomez to be the pride of the nation. None of our hotels are the same as others; we have a different concept of what luxury is."
Oltuski also revealed to Granma International that the hotel does not have a name yet, but it will offer the highest level of service and the highest standards by Kempinksi.
With an opening scheduled for the end of 2016, Mr Oltuski also revealed that the investment does not only include the conversion of the property into a hotel but also a shopping centre to be located on the lower levels and which will be 100 per cent Cuban.
We recently covered the news about the revamping of this decaying with a blog post, so if you want to learn more about the history of what will become one of the city's trendiest and most luxurious boutique hotels, read Crumbling historic building in Old Havana to reopen as new boutique hotel.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...