New hotels and facilities being built in Cuba's Trinidad
Cuba's much talked-about and admired city of Trinidad is busy with a large number of new projects to further restore and enhance its unique heritage. The UNESCO World Heritage Site will see the construction of new hotels, the creation of a new marina, the development of two golf courses and the restoration of the Ingenios Valley.
The stunningly well-preserved town of Trinidad and in Cuba's central region is to receive an uplifting makeover in some of the abandoned areas surrounding the city's main historic downtown centre.
Thanks to a restoration project funded by the French chain of hotels, Pansea Hotels and Resorts, the new Pansea Trinidad hotel is currently being built next to the remains of Ermita de la Popa, a historical landmark – Cuba's oldest church.
The new five-star boutique property will maintain the colonial style that has made this city so famous the world over and it will also retain the monastic air of the place where the original chapel stood. Design elements will include terracotta roof tiles, hardwood and wooden furniture. Amazing panoramic views will be had from each of the 52 suites' private balconies, looking out over Trinidad's brightly coloured rooftops and all the way down to the Caribbean Sea.
Just a five minute walk from the heart of this protected UNESCO World Heritage city, the new Pansea will be perfectly located in an area surrounded by lush greenery yet within steps of the heart of downtown. It will also feature a swimming pool, a restaurant and bar. The hotel is expected to be finished and ready to open by the end of 2014.
On the other hand, the new Encanto Palacio Iznaga hotel is also being built in Trinidad's town centre. This project is being carried out by the Cuban chain of Encanto Hotels, a brand dedicated to the restoration of old buildings of historical value to later convert them into new hotels that still preserve the original layout and features.
The new Trinidad hotel by Encanto will have 41 guest rooms while another nearby hotel, also by Encanto, the Encanto La Ronda, will be expanded with an additional 30 rooms to join the 17 existing ones.
But the biggest hotel development currently taking place in Trinidad is located in the Ancon peninsula, home to Ancon Beach, one of the best beaches in Cuba's southern coast.
It is precisely in this area that three different projects are taking place. The first of these is due for next year and is the construction of the new five-star Buena Vista hotel which will offer 100 rooms and will be operated by the island's Cubanacan Group and which will be integrated as part of the existing Ancon Hotel.
The Ancon Hotel itself will also be remodelled in the future and upgraded as a four-star category hotel. Next to it, the new Iberostar Ancon will open, offering a total of 409 rooms as a five-star resort, the works of which will start by the end of next year.
Lastly, the new Maria Aguiar hotel will join the line-up with a total of 437 rooms. The groundwork for this hotel has already been laid and it's ready for the start of constructions by the start of 2015.
But away from the historic city centre and beyond the new hotel projects, Trinidad will also see the construction of a new Theme Water Park in the Ancon-La Chorrera area, an ambitious new attraction that is expected to be completed by 2017. The project will include the creation of a further three hotels with a combined total of 1,200 rooms, as well as the construction of two 18-hole championship golf courses, the works of which are expected to be kick-starded in 2017.
In addition to that there will also be the creation of a new international marina with a villa boasting 40 rooms.
But this is not all, perhaps the most unique and culturally enriching project of all is the restoration of the villas and haciendas of the famous Valle de los Ingenios, a former sugar plantation that's also been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. They are attempting to risk literally ever ruin in the area and if they are successful it will no doubt be an amazing achievement.
Trinidad is a unique city that possesses many heritage attractions but also a unique appeal thanks to its proximity to the sea and the mountains, giving tourists many options, from amazing nature quests, hiking trails and eco-friendly experiences, to fantastic sunbathing opportunities at the beach as well as impressive historical tours. And as the city now looks set on enhancing and restoring many of its ancient gems there's no better time to visit and discover it. Watch this space for updates on the many ongoing projects that Trinidad is currently busy with.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Searching for a charming beach retreat with a twist? Why not head to Cuba and enjoy a stunning all-inclusive beach...