New hotels and facilities being built in Cuba's Trinidad
Cuba's much talked-about and admired city of Trinidad is busy with a large number of new projects to further restore and enhance its unique heritage. The UNESCO World Heritage Site will see the construction of new hotels, the creation of a new marina, the development of two golf courses and the restoration of the Ingenios Valley.
The stunningly well-preserved town of Trinidad and in Cuba's central region is to receive an uplifting makeover in some of the abandoned areas surrounding the city's main historic downtown centre.
Thanks to a restoration project funded by the French chain of hotels, Pansea Hotels and Resorts, the new Pansea Trinidad hotel is currently being built next to the remains of Ermita de la Popa, a historical landmark – Cuba's oldest church.
The new five-star boutique property will maintain the colonial style that has made this city so famous the world over and it will also retain the monastic air of the place where the original chapel stood. Design elements will include terracotta roof tiles, hardwood and wooden furniture. Amazing panoramic views will be had from each of the 52 suites' private balconies, looking out over Trinidad's brightly coloured rooftops and all the way down to the Caribbean Sea.
Just a five minute walk from the heart of this protected UNESCO World Heritage city, the new Pansea will be perfectly located in an area surrounded by lush greenery yet within steps of the heart of downtown. It will also feature a swimming pool, a restaurant and bar. The hotel is expected to be finished and ready to open by the end of 2014.
On the other hand, the new Encanto Palacio Iznaga hotel is also being built in Trinidad's town centre. This project is being carried out by the Cuban chain of Encanto Hotels, a brand dedicated to the restoration of old buildings of historical value to later convert them into new hotels that still preserve the original layout and features.
The new Trinidad hotel by Encanto will have 41 guest rooms while another nearby hotel, also by Encanto, the Encanto La Ronda, will be expanded with an additional 30 rooms to join the 17 existing ones.
But the biggest hotel development currently taking place in Trinidad is located in the Ancon peninsula, home to Ancon Beach, one of the best beaches in Cuba's southern coast.
It is precisely in this area that three different projects are taking place. The first of these is due for next year and is the construction of the new five-star Buena Vista hotel which will offer 100 rooms and will be operated by the island's Cubanacan Group and which will be integrated as part of the existing Ancon Hotel.
The Ancon Hotel itself will also be remodelled in the future and upgraded as a four-star category hotel. Next to it, the new Iberostar Ancon will open, offering a total of 409 rooms as a five-star resort, the works of which will start by the end of next year.
Lastly, the new Maria Aguiar hotel will join the line-up with a total of 437 rooms. The groundwork for this hotel has already been laid and it's ready for the start of constructions by the start of 2015.
But away from the historic city centre and beyond the new hotel projects, Trinidad will also see the construction of a new Theme Water Park in the Ancon-La Chorrera area, an ambitious new attraction that is expected to be completed by 2017. The project will include the creation of a further three hotels with a combined total of 1,200 rooms, as well as the construction of two 18-hole championship golf courses, the works of which are expected to be kick-starded in 2017.
In addition to that there will also be the creation of a new international marina with a villa boasting 40 rooms.
But this is not all, perhaps the most unique and culturally enriching project of all is the restoration of the villas and haciendas of the famous Valle de los Ingenios, a former sugar plantation that's also been declared a UNESCO World Heritage Site. They are attempting to risk literally ever ruin in the area and if they are successful it will no doubt be an amazing achievement.
Trinidad is a unique city that possesses many heritage attractions but also a unique appeal thanks to its proximity to the sea and the mountains, giving tourists many options, from amazing nature quests, hiking trails and eco-friendly experiences, to fantastic sunbathing opportunities at the beach as well as impressive historical tours. And as the city now looks set on enhancing and restoring many of its ancient gems there's no better time to visit and discover it. Watch this space for updates on the many ongoing projects that Trinidad is currently busy with.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...