Costa Rica is the most recommended holiday destination
According to BDRC Continental's Global Tourism Monitor Survey, Costa Rica is the most recommended holiday destination among travellers. Costa Rica has the distinction of being the only Latin American destination to make the list, which was dominated mostly by European destinations. Surprisingly the Caribbean was among the least recommended regions.
BDRC Continental, one of the UK's largest independent market research consultancies, has released the results of their Global Tourism Monitor Survey. Costa Rica topped the list of the 65 most recommended holiday destinations from around the world.
The survey covered 23,000 holidaymakers across 26 countries, Jon Young an associate director at BDRC Continental stated:
"This study is one of the most broadly-based global assessments of recent tourism experiences and future intentions. It looks at destination appeal and the likelihood to recommend a country, based solely on personal experience in the last 12 months".
Notably, Costa Rica topped the list despite Europe being the most top of mind destination for the holidaymakers surveyed with 43 per cent of the respondents saying that they were seriously considering a European holiday destination. Asia Pacific was the second most popular region for holidaymakers at 27 per cent while only 6 per cent said they were considering Latin America/Caribbean. Africa/Middle East was the least recalled region with just 4 per cent.
According to the survey, key factors that influenced holidaymakers decision on what holiday to book included travel agents, advertising, airlines and hotel groups respectively.
The survey results would have no doubt lifted the spirits of Costa Rica's tourism officials who recently expressed some dissatisfaction with the number of travellers who visited Costa Rica last year especially given the fact that Costa Rica has one of the best eco tourism products on offer in Central America. Isabel Vargas, Camara Nacional de Turismo (CANATUR) President, stated:
"We always consider any increase in the number of visitors as positive, but we can't say we're satisfied – it's not enough. Costa Rica has the natural conditions and a tourist product to attract more travelers than those who are coming now".
Costa Rica recorded a 3.6 increase in the number of arrivals year-on- year in 2013 with 2.4 million visitors. Over the last four years, the industry has grown by 15.6 per cent with the majority of visitors coming from the US.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Costa Rica Browse all
Explore the Caribbean side of the country that has a culture of its own with joyful Reggae Music the beat of the region
- Discover the amazing Sloths at the Sloth Sanctuary in a little bit of paradise with various other animals to see along with fauna in the tropical rainforest setting
- Services of an English-Speaking local Guide shall be provided for the sightseeing & excursion tours only as per the itinerary
- Enjoy various other excursions on this tour including a Tortuguero Canals Boat Tour, Boat ride over La Estrella River along with much more
You are sure to marvel at nature's treasures in Costa Rica, a paradise of lush forests, crystal coves, fine-sand beaches and exotic wildlife
- Marvel at Costa Rica's array of stunning settings, including forests, volcanic cliffs, beaches.
- Try snorkelling, kayaking, tennis, bocce ball, chess, access to a scuba clinic & more
- Relish unlimited Costa Rican and world cuisines in 4 and restaurants and 4 bars
The perfect combination of culture, history and nature with some added downtime at the end to enjoy one of the world's best beaches
- Relax at the hot springs and mud baths, and try your hand at zip lining, horseback riding or river tubing.
- Visit the country's famous shoreline, cloud rainforests, volcano and the charming capital of San Jose
- Tour includes: San Jose City Tour, Sky Walk on Hanging Bridges, Buena Vista hot springs and mud baths, nature walk to La Pava and Salitral Waterfalls, horseback riding and more
The perfect combination of Costa Rican culture and nature with added time for beach relaxation
- Enjoy a tour with perfect balance of adventure, culture and relaxation sure to make for a holiday to remember
- Thrills include river-rafting and a guided walk through hanging bridges
- A relaxing beach at the end stay rounds up the experience offering a chance to recharge batteries
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife, it's an...
Costa Rica is a tropical paradise with misty volcanoes, wild rivers and verdant jungles teeming with wildlife - it's an...
Costa Rica Tropical Adventure allows you to explore the country's many spectacular, natural sights with misty volcanoes,...
The best holiday experience awaits for you at Palma Real Hotel & Casino in Costa Rica. Located just 5 minutes away from...
Country Inns & Suites in San Jose is located in the middle of everything, close to the shopping and attractions of the...
Located just a short walk from the city's main avenue and downtown, Park Inn by Radisson is a perfect base for exploring...