Jamaica records six per cent increase in UK tourist during 2013/2014 winter
Jamaica has recorded an increase in UK visitors over the 2013/2014 winter season, according to the country's Tourism Board. The island saw a six per cent increase in travellers between November 2013 and February, 2014, compared to the same period last year. The nation is developing new hotels and increasing cruise offerings to lure British tourists to the beautiful Caribbean destination.
The Caribbean is a hotspot for British travellers who escape the UK's dreary grey and cold winters to head to a tropical island where sunshine and relaxation await them.
Jamaica is one of the leading destinations and the 2013/2014 winter recorded a six per cent increase in UK travellers, according to their Tourism Board.
Between November, 2013 and February 2014, 2,449 more British tourists visited the tropical island nation, compared to the same period the previous year. Elizabeth Fox, the Jamaica Tourist Board's Regional Director for UK and Northern Europe, explained:
"Our UK visitor figures for the start of the winter season are highly encouraging. They come on the back of the very strong British stopover figures for summer 2013, when we saw an increase of 13 per cent on summer 2012. With new hotels opening and our increased cruise offering, coupled with further increases in airlift from the UK this year, Jamaica is set to retain its position as the UK's favourite Caribbean destination."
New hotel developments in Jamaica are underway to attract more tourists and include two new Hyatt Hotels: Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva, in Montego Bay which are scheduled to open later this year. The recently-opened Sensatori Jamaica on Negril's famous Seven Mile Beach is also expected to bring more UK visitors to the island this year.
As well as new luxury hotels, the island's cruise offerings will increase and the platinum cruise ship Thomson Dream will be based in Montego Bay this winter, marking a milestone as the first British cruise ship to make Jamaica its home port.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors in 2003.
Jamaica is a stunning country located in the Caribbean Sea and it boasts pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the historic attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Metro Offer: Book and Save upto £100 per person!
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
- Summer just got better with upto two kids stay and play for FREE!
- Book now and take advantage of a fantastic room upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Deluxe Ocean View Room
- Enjoy 24-hour access to food and beverage
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- 2018 Early Booking Offer: Stay 7 Pay 6, Stay 14 Pay 11!
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...