Jamaica records six per cent increase in UK tourist during 2013/2014 winter
Jamaica has recorded an increase in UK visitors over the 2013/2014 winter season, according to the country's Tourism Board. The island saw a six per cent increase in travellers between November 2013 and February, 2014, compared to the same period last year. The nation is developing new hotels and increasing cruise offerings to lure British tourists to the beautiful Caribbean destination.
The Caribbean is a hotspot for British travellers who escape the UK's dreary grey and cold winters to head to a tropical island where sunshine and relaxation await them.
Jamaica is one of the leading destinations and the 2013/2014 winter recorded a six per cent increase in UK travellers, according to their Tourism Board.
Between November, 2013 and February 2014, 2,449 more British tourists visited the tropical island nation, compared to the same period the previous year. Elizabeth Fox, the Jamaica Tourist Board's Regional Director for UK and Northern Europe, explained:
"Our UK visitor figures for the start of the winter season are highly encouraging. They come on the back of the very strong British stopover figures for summer 2013, when we saw an increase of 13 per cent on summer 2012. With new hotels opening and our increased cruise offering, coupled with further increases in airlift from the UK this year, Jamaica is set to retain its position as the UK's favourite Caribbean destination."
New hotel developments in Jamaica are underway to attract more tourists and include two new Hyatt Hotels: Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva, in Montego Bay which are scheduled to open later this year. The recently-opened Sensatori Jamaica on Negril's famous Seven Mile Beach is also expected to bring more UK visitors to the island this year.
As well as new luxury hotels, the island's cruise offerings will increase and the platinum cruise ship Thomson Dream will be based in Montego Bay this winter, marking a milestone as the first British cruise ship to make Jamaica its home port.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors in 2003.
Jamaica is a stunning country located in the Caribbean Sea and it boasts pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the historic attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Have a break from the Kids with the adults only pool
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Enjoy an array of complimentary water sports & unlimited golf with transfers and green fees included
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...