Jamaica records six per cent increase in UK tourist during 2013/2014 winter
Jamaica has recorded an increase in UK visitors over the 2013/2014 winter season, according to the country's Tourism Board. The island saw a six per cent increase in travellers between November 2013 and February, 2014, compared to the same period last year. The nation is developing new hotels and increasing cruise offerings to lure British tourists to the beautiful Caribbean destination.
The Caribbean is a hotspot for British travellers who escape the UK's dreary grey and cold winters to head to a tropical island where sunshine and relaxation await them.
Jamaica is one of the leading destinations and the 2013/2014 winter recorded a six per cent increase in UK travellers, according to their Tourism Board.
Between November, 2013 and February 2014, 2,449 more British tourists visited the tropical island nation, compared to the same period the previous year. Elizabeth Fox, the Jamaica Tourist Board's Regional Director for UK and Northern Europe, explained:
"Our UK visitor figures for the start of the winter season are highly encouraging. They come on the back of the very strong British stopover figures for summer 2013, when we saw an increase of 13 per cent on summer 2012. With new hotels opening and our increased cruise offering, coupled with further increases in airlift from the UK this year, Jamaica is set to retain its position as the UK's favourite Caribbean destination."
New hotel developments in Jamaica are underway to attract more tourists and include two new Hyatt Hotels: Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva, in Montego Bay which are scheduled to open later this year. The recently-opened Sensatori Jamaica on Negril's famous Seven Mile Beach is also expected to bring more UK visitors to the island this year.
As well as new luxury hotels, the island's cruise offerings will increase and the platinum cruise ship Thomson Dream will be based in Montego Bay this winter, marking a milestone as the first British cruise ship to make Jamaica its home port.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors in 2003.
Jamaica is a stunning country located in the Caribbean Sea and it boasts pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the historic attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Enjoy the affordable Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay with a fantastic location
- Summer 2018 Sale now on, save £250 per person
- Two Children, 12 years of age and younger stay and eat free of charge
- Choose thrilling water sports while your kids enjoy the Children's activity centre
- Enjoy buffet or a la carte meals as part of the All Inclusive concept at five on-site restaurants
Discover Unlimited-Fun® with warm Jamaican hospitality in Montego Bay with a complimentary upgrade and resort coupons
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- Book and receive an upgrade to the next available room category plus $200 resort coupons per room
- Pirate's Paradise Waterpark on-site featuring a pirate ship and two waterslides
- The Montego Bay Marine Park location offers protected swimming areas and extraordinary snorkelling
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth at Mangos Jamaica
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Located on Trelawny Bay and its beautiful beach
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Holiday Inn Resort offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical gardens. The resort has a...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...