Jamaica records six per cent increase in UK tourist during 2013/2014 winter
Jamaica has recorded an increase in UK visitors over the 2013/2014 winter season, according to the country's Tourism Board. The island saw a six per cent increase in travellers between November 2013 and February, 2014, compared to the same period last year. The nation is developing new hotels and increasing cruise offerings to lure British tourists to the beautiful Caribbean destination.
The Caribbean is a hotspot for British travellers who escape the UK's dreary grey and cold winters to head to a tropical island where sunshine and relaxation await them.
Jamaica is one of the leading destinations and the 2013/2014 winter recorded a six per cent increase in UK travellers, according to their Tourism Board.
Between November, 2013 and February 2014, 2,449 more British tourists visited the tropical island nation, compared to the same period the previous year. Elizabeth Fox, the Jamaica Tourist Board's Regional Director for UK and Northern Europe, explained:
"Our UK visitor figures for the start of the winter season are highly encouraging. They come on the back of the very strong British stopover figures for summer 2013, when we saw an increase of 13 per cent on summer 2012. With new hotels opening and our increased cruise offering, coupled with further increases in airlift from the UK this year, Jamaica is set to retain its position as the UK's favourite Caribbean destination."
New hotel developments in Jamaica are underway to attract more tourists and include two new Hyatt Hotels: Hyatt Zilara and Hyatt Ziva, in Montego Bay which are scheduled to open later this year. The recently-opened Sensatori Jamaica on Negril's famous Seven Mile Beach is also expected to bring more UK visitors to the island this year.
As well as new luxury hotels, the island's cruise offerings will increase and the platinum cruise ship Thomson Dream will be based in Montego Bay this winter, marking a milestone as the first British cruise ship to make Jamaica its home port.
Last year, the island nation received more than two million visitors; a significant increase compared to 1.3 million visitors in 2003.
Jamaica is a stunning country located in the Caribbean Sea and it boasts pristine white sand beaches fringed with warm turquoise ocean waters, majestic mountains, cascading waterfalls, and lush rolling emerald green hills.
Holidaymakers can explore the island's spectacular natural wonders such as Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios, the five-mile-long Doctor's Cave Beach in Montego Bay, lush botanical gardens, and the soaring Blue Mountains.
The famous Bob Marley Museum, Kingston Harbour, and Rose Hall House, a former sugar plantation, are just a few of the historic attractions that entice tourists to the tropical island.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...