Huge renovation at Caravelle Hotel in Saigon now underway
The Caravelle hotel has begun an extensive four phase renovation project - the first major overhaul for the hotel in 15 years. The Caravelle boasts a rich history, serving as the hub of activity for media corps, intellectuals and dignitaries during the Vietnam War in the 60s and 70s. It is historically rich sites like these that Vietnam officials are counting on to continue to attract holidaymakers and entice investors.
Vietnam's most historic landmark hotel, the Caravelle Hotel, has begun work on a major renovation project, the first phase of which will take place throughout the summer. In what was no doubt a nod to the significance of this building, the start of renovations coincided with the anniversary of the hotel's soft opening in May 1959. The works will take place in four phases with the first phase set to run from 12 May to the end of August 2014 and the final phase estimated to be completed by mid 2016.
As part of the renovations, the Carvelle Hotel will be transformed into a luxury hotel with an expanded lobby cafe named Cafe de l' Opera and a redesigned reception, both of which guests will be able to enjoy from September 2014. These are the largest renovations to take place at Caravelle in 15 years, and it will undoubtedly attract more guests and remind the world of this luxury hotel's place in Vietnam's history.
The Caravelle hotel, located in Lam Son Square in Ho Chi Minh City, was the accommodation of choice for dignitaries and media corps covering the war in the 60s and 70s, with CBS and ABC news setting up temporary offices there. The famed Saigon "war hotel" was even featured in the Danielle Steele's novel Message from Nam.
Vietnam is currently boosting its tourism marketing in an effort to attract more holidaymakers to visit cities like Saigon, as well as to attract more investors, including international hotel firms. As part of these efforts, local officials have announced that Vietnam will publish its first annual tourism report in September 2014. The report will cover 2013 and seek to provide greater insight into the Vietnam's tourism industry, as well as highlight the country's tourism objectives.
In conjunction with this, Vietnam's Deputy Minister of Culture, Sports and Tourism recently informed local media that he would soon be leading a panel to appoint a new tourism envoy who will represent Vietnam and share knowledge of all that Vietnam has to offer, including its rich culture and history. The appointed envoy will attend various events in Russia, Japan, Republic of Korea, the Netherlands and Indonesia.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Vietnam Browse all
An indepth exploration of Vietnam taking in Saigon, the Mekong Delta, Hoi An, Hue and Hanoi with time left over to relax on the beach
- Overnight cruise on a traditional Junk boat on Halong Bay with meals included
- Time to relax on the picturesque beaches of central Vietnam
- Local guides in each destination and entrance fees for all included sightseeing
Get under the skin of Vietnam with an adventurous tour taking in the classic sights as well as getting off the beaten track
- Overnight train to Sapa - hike through the hills and meet remote communities
- Overnight cruise down the Mekong River on a converted rice barge with all modern amenities
- Spend the night in Halong Bay and see the sun rise over the remarkable karst landscape (includes meals)
Experience all the natural beauty and cultural variety of Vietnam on a deluxe tour
- Five-star hotels throughout
- Overnight Halong Bay cruise on a traditionally designed junk boat with meals included
- Time to relax on the stunning beaches of central Vietnam
Explore the most iconic sites of Indochina during the unforgettable Highlights of Indochina, Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos - Deluxe Tour
You will visit historical sites of Vietnam, discover the heritage of Laos, and explore the beautiful Angkor Complex in Cambodia.
- Tour around Ben Tre River in Vietnam and enjoy a variety of activities, including a visit to any of coconut processing workshops and riding a motocart through rice fields and vegetable plains.
- Watch the sun rise over the blue waters of tranquil Halong Bay, and then cruise through emerald waters of the Gulf of Tonkin.
- Participate in Baci Ceremony, an integral part of the Laos culture, and explore the Luang Prabang Night Market with its handmade textiles and local street food
Exotic and compelling, Vietnam is one of the most remarkable travel destinations in the world. Take in all the classics...
Wander from exciting cities to astonishing scenic beauty via peaceful beaches and the best preserved old towns in...
Discover the beauty and unique heritage of Vietnam with this incredible tour across some of its most famous sites and...
See all the most iconic sights of Indochina on this trip of a lifetime through Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam. Explore the...
The Merperle Sea Sun hotel is set in the heart of the picturesque seaside city, Nha Trang. Surrounded on all three...
Discover the beauty of a superb Sandy Beach Non Nuoc Resort Danang, located by the pristine stretch of beach and...